Question Renting (landlord perspective) and DSS...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Agree with Raven. You need to meet them at least, first impressions can mean an awful lot.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Unless they're into carpet stealing or really into light bulbs that's unlikely. I live at my g/f's - I'm renting my house out unfurnished :)

Knew a guys years ago that had tenants remove all the electrical fixings before they left. Seemed funny at time but was a pain in arse to actually replace every wall socket and light fixtures and switches. If memory serves they even removed a cat flap in the back door.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Knew a guys years ago that had tenants remove all the electrical fixings before they left. Seemed funny at time but was a pain in arse to actually replace every wall socket and light fixtures and switches. If memory serves they even removed a cat flap in the back door.

They wouldn't set foot in the place until I'd received 6 weeks rent as bond and signed an agreement with a rent guarantor and, unless renting through an agency, I'd definitely meet them first.

Had the mother of a nurse ring up last night. She'd recently moved in with her daughter and boyfriend "to help her pay rent/bills" then bloke had run out. She's mates with the next door neighbour of the gaff I'm renting and rang up to say that they'd be interested as her daughter wants out ("too many memories" of the house they're in).

They're both working. City hospital is 10 mins walk from the house. I'm tempted to say yes, but the ad I'd put up that they're responding to is for much less than the agent that came round yesterday would get me if they filled the house. (Like £40/month less after they took their pound of flesh - although I'd save on not having to deal with an agent - who'd want 50% of the first month's rent and 50 quid every six months to print out a renewal).

So. Question. Do I let to this nurse and her mum, or do I delay for a week or so and see what the agent comes up with? :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Out of interest do you still have a mortgage on the property? Did you have to get permission from the lender? If so, is it properly insured as rented out property? Only ask as it is necessary and many people forget.

As for the question - did the agent include his fees and give you the net payable to you each month. Typical fees are between 10-20% but depends on their services. Regular surveys, arranging maintenance, yearly gas servicing and basically everything needed to keep me completely separated from any dealings with the tenants.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They wouldn't set foot in the place until I'd received 6 weeks rent as bond and signed an agreement with a rent guarantor and, unless renting through an agency, I'd definitely meet them first.

Had the mother of a nurse ring up last night. She'd recently moved in with her daughter and boyfriend "to help her pay rent/bills" then bloke had run out. She's mates with the next door neighbour of the gaff I'm renting and rang up to say that they'd be interested as her daughter wants out ("too many memories" of the house they're in).

They're both working. City hospital is 10 mins walk from the house. I'm tempted to say yes, but the ad I'd put up that they're responding to is for much less than the agent that came round yesterday would get me if they filled the house. (Like £40/month less after they took their pound of flesh - although I'd save on not having to deal with an agent - who'd want 50% of the first month's rent and 50 quid every six months to print out a renewal).

So. Question. Do I let to this nurse and her mum, or do I delay for a week or so and see what the agent comes up with? :)

I'd let the nurse in.

Remember to put cams in the shower though.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Over 6 months or 1 year how much less will it be compared to what the agent reckons they can get you?
Compare that to the additional risk of whether the agent can actually achieve that suggested rent and also the risk profile of the potential tenants from the agent.

If the nurse and her mum seem a safer bet (with a recommendation from your old neighbour) then that might outweigh the potential lost income. personally for only £40 per month I'd go with the safer bet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If the nurse and her mum seem a safer bet (with a recommendation from your old neighbour) then that might outweigh the potential lost income. personally for only £40 per month I'd go with the safer bet.

I'm thinking the nurse too tbfh. I'll prolly ring her at lunch time. As long as they can move in on the 1st of next month, with the full deposit, then I think that's good to go.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock

i would take safe ok money over risky higher money

we used to rent our house in croydon, for about 20 years, didnt do DSS, one lot we had in had to be evicted, and afterwards we found used needles on the carpet, snail trails up the wallpaper and the curtains, with snails ,etc.
had to take all the furniture , upholstery, carpets, etc out and burn it. was a total redecorate, didnt turn a profit again for nearly 2 years

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
i would take safe ok money over risky higher money

we used to rent our house in croydon, for about 20 years, didnt do DSS, one lot we had in had to be evicted, and afterwards we found used needles on the carpet, snail trails up the wallpaper and the curtains, with snails ,etc.
had to take all the furniture , upholstery, carpets, etc out and burn it. was a total redecorate, didnt turn a profit again for nearly 2 years
That's good for Croydon tbfh.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Let them see the place, see them yourself, make contract, get deposit, give keys, if rent not paid -> offity kickity.

To a landlord it shouldn't matter who, what, when, how people are unless the place is used for criminal activity and if you get your rent.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Maybe you should impose a "stuff" cap on him.

I think I should have Tom.

He doesn't move out until Tuesday. The nurse and her mum came round about an hour ago to have a look at the place. I'd warned them that he was a hoarder before they came in but they were still taken aback.

I think the nurse was OK with it, but the mum certainly wasn't. I've given them the tenancy agreement to read and told them he's out next week, so come round and look at the place again when it's clean and all his shit is out of there.

Thursday night. I want 'em to sign the contract then and as soon as the deposit goes in they can have the keys (they'd be moving in on 1st May and paying rent from then but I told 'em they could have the keys early to move their stuff over if they wanted).

Can't be fairer than that. But a "stuff" cap on Pete is still probably the best thing I could do for him. Because, like stupid rich folk, Pete's a stupid hoarder - but at least hording stuff only hurts him (and me, whilst it's in my gaff) rather than cash, which hurts anyone it's not being put to good use for :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It amazes me how some people can't see the wood for the trees. My house was a right shithole when I bought it, now I think it looks rather nice.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK - got new tenants in. Ended up going with the agency in the end (they were quick off the mark).

However, I've just had a letter through from them about mandatory Leigonella testing. WTF? Apparently there's a new legal requirement to have a compliant legionella risk assessment undertaken under Water Hygiene Control legislation for landlords and it's gonna cost me 99 quid + 79 quid a year afterwards.

Have any of you landlords heard about this shit? I'm ready to call balls to it...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nope, gas safety yes, but not that. Phone your water board, and check the landlord forums online.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's only a risk assessment, and you can do it yourself. Your local hse can advise you, fuck paying the agent to do it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/legionnaires_disease.shtml

I'd have the first one done properly and thereafter do it myself (presuming it's just a simple water system).

"As landlord controlling premises you need to decide if there are water installations or systems on the premises which may give rise to a risk of Legionella bacteria being present. It is your responsibility to identify these. You may need to obtain outside advice. A risk assessment will be needed if any are identified. You may be able to do this yourself but only if you are competent. If not, you will need to appoint a competent person to carry out this assessment."

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cheers @Ch3tan. Yep @Tom, it's what I think I might do. Get a "competent person" to do the first assessment and come along for the ride. The assessment will show as "low risk" and every time the tenant moves out I'll simply clean everything...

...or I could get the missus' dad to come up and go through it with me. He knows his plumbing.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah pesky tennants, wanting clean and safe water. What next, heat? A freaking roof? Pfft.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah pesky tennants, wanting clean and safe water. What next, heat? A freaking roof? Pfft.

Nah. It's more a case of health and safety gone mad.

20 million households in Britain, how many check for leigonella? None of them.

Why? Because hot water at 47 degrees starts to destroy proteins (denatures enzymes if you recall your GCSE (or equivalent noddy level) biology. Most hot water systems run at about 60 degrees, so that's fine. Also, drinking water comes in treated antibacterially to households in the UK.

There are about 350 cases of legionaires disease in the UK per year, and maybe 2 deaths. These cases tend to be in large industrial installations or places where there's complex industrial-style water circulation systems, not simple household water heating systems.

As long as everything is clean and working properly there is such a low risk in houses that it doesn't bear thinking about - never mind spending money on.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nah. It's more a case of health and safety gone mad.

20 million households in Britain, how many check for leigonella? None of them.

Why? Because hot water at 47 degrees starts to destroy proteins (denatures enzymes if you recall your GCSE (or equivalent noddy level) biology. Most hot water systems run at about 60 degrees, so that's fine. Also, drinking water comes in treated antibacterially to households in the UK.

There are about 350 cases of legionaires disease in the UK per year, and maybe 2 deaths. These cases tend to be in large industrial installations or places where there's complex industrial-style water circulation systems, not simple household water heating systems.

As long as everything is clean and working properly there is such a low risk in houses that it doesn't bear thinking about - never mind spending money on.
Print that out tbfh.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
OK - got new tenants in. Ended up going with the agency in the end (they were quick off the mark).

However, I've just had a letter through from them about mandatory Leigonella testing. WTF? Apparently there's a new legal requirement to have a compliant legionella risk assessment undertaken under Water Hygiene Control legislation for landlords and it's gonna cost me 99 quid + 79 quid a year afterwards.

Have any of you landlords heard about this shit? I'm ready to call balls to it...
The Nurse?

That'd explain a lot.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If the first risk assessment identifies any areas of concern, I'd get them fixed as well. Not just left as a risk, but eliminated.

Mind you, they're not going to tear up floorboards looking for blanked-off hot water pipes and similar, they'll just open a few doors, look at the boiler, check the loft, and tick a few boxes.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Print that out tbfh.

I've effectively done that and sent it to the agent. ;)

If the first risk assessment identifies any areas of concern, I'd get them fixed as well. Not just left as a risk, but eliminated.

Mind you, they're not going to tear up floorboards looking for blanked-off hot water pipes and similar, they'll just open a few doors, look at the boiler, check the loft, and tick a few boxes.

Yep. But I've already had that done when I had the kitchen and bathrooms ripped out and replaced - the whole hot water system was checked too and it's solid. Nothing to see here.

Since I've been through that more than once since I owned the house I reckon I'm competent, after reading the guidlines, to perform the assessment myself. Which I've done: Very low risk, tenants must keep the place clean, they're not high-risk (elderly) tenants, service the water systems every couple of years and check that everything is in working order. Job done. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom