Renown scaling , to much penalty for killing lower RR's?

AureliusAmbrosius

Fledgling Freddie
Ok probably gonna get flamed that im moaning about something and its all my own fault for getting to high a RR so soon etc but here goes ...

Ive had quite a lot of time to play and managed to get my Lvl 40 DoK upto RR 39.

Now it does seem that the renown scaling for killing a lower realm rank player is just a little on the harsh side.

I killed a lvl 38 WH solo while in a group with just me in it in a scenario yesterday and got a grand total of 1 renown for it

While i agree there should be some reduction in the scaling of renown reward for killing a lower realm rank player i just find it a little insulting receiving 1 renown for killing a player solo when that player was lvl 38 and pretty much had as much chance of killing me as i had of killing him.

Im sure it works as a mechanism for Mythic to limit the gap between the highest realm ranks and the average , so that you effectively cant get to high above anyone else as you are pretty much gonna be getting no renown except via BO's or keep lords but does anyone else think that it is a little to harsh a penalty ?

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not too sure about how it's meant to be in the future, but the only reason I could come up with is that the player had renown rank 1. Which still makes getting one renown point utter crap.

Afran

Part of the furniture
You even start getting 1 renown per kill if you're renown rank 11 in T1 scenarios, 21 in T2 scenarios and 31 in T3 scenarios, did you do this kill in a scenario or? Kinda silly if you only got 1 renown for it if not.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
there's not much point in getting renown ranks tbh, wow I will get 40 more int or some crappy gear with +weaponskill :p

(give mom5 XD)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The penalty is too high, I'm currently RR42 and it's painful at times.

What really pisses me off is the fact that all these players could probably kill me quite easily and gain a shitload of renown points, yet my chance of killing them probably isn't much greater due to the lack of advancement and I'd get a pathetic 1RP. Our group could dominate a scenario for most of the time, however if a lower rank group gets to kill us just once they're likely to get more RPs for the entire scenario than our group does. :(

I can understand higher rank players getting slightly less RPs, but we've been playing for just 1 month and it's annoying having to deal with this. I'd prefer higher renown ranks taking more RPs to advance instead of giving fewer RPs to players.

AureliusAmbrosius

Fledgling Freddie
You even start getting 1 renown per kill if you're renown rank 11 in T1 scenarios, 21 in T2 scenarios and 31 in T3 scenarios, did you do this kill in a scenario or? Kinda silly if you only got 1 renown for it if not.

Yeh the kill was in a scenario , not going to matter in or out of scenario really thou . Ok in normal rvr you will get 20% -50% binus or whatever but 20% bonus of 1 is still going to be 1 .

there's not much point in getting renown ranks tbh, wow I will get 40 more int or some crappy gear with +weaponskill :p

(give mom5 XD)

Thats part of the problem i see aika the renown ranks dont make as huge a difference in how your character performs its not like daoc with very class defining abiltys from your realm rank . Tbh what you gain from the renown in WAR you could just as well get from having a couple pieces of better equipment , so why the the huge penalty from killing someone a lower RR .

What really pisses me off is the fact that all these players could probably kill me quite easily and gain a shitload of renown points, yet my chance of killing them probably isn't much greater due to the lack of advancement and I'd get a pathetic 1RP. Our group could dominate a scenario for most of the time, however if a lower rank group gets to kill us just once they're likely to get more RPs for the entire scenario than our group does. :(

I can understand higher rank players getting slightly less RPs, but we've been playing for just 1 month and it's annoying having to deal with this. I'd prefer higher renown ranks taking more RPs to advance instead of giving fewer RPs to players.

well they already increased the 50-80 requirements didnt they ? im not to fussed with that it just takes a bit longer , but i do want to feel like im achiving something after some RVR and as you say if you end up playing a group of lower rank players you just end up walking away with literally nothing nearly and no sense of actually advancing your character that bit more . Might have been a damm good fight and that brings its own satisfaction but the renown reward is nice to have aswell.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Yeh the kill was in a scenario , not going to matter in or out of scenario really thou . Ok in normal rvr you will get 20% -50% binus or whatever but 20% bonus of 1 is still going to be 1 .

True just wondered if it was purely a scenario penalty. I'm still wondering ;>

Alc

Fledgling Freddie

(give mom5 XD)

Actually i have +102 intel from RA's which is +30 magical dps, not extremely uber but surely a bonus...

But tbh givf MoM5 :D

York

Fledgling Freddie
What about those players who dont get to play as often and run the risk of falling so far behind that they play at a constant disadvantage over players who have more time?

Look at what ToA did to RvR.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
What about those players who dont get to play as often and run the risk of falling so far behind that they play at a constant disadvantage over players who have more time?

Look at what ToA did to RvR.

MMORPG's are built so that people who play more is more powerfull than people who play less.

Looking at the renown abilities aviable in Warhammer, without knowing how hard good gear at lvl 40 is to come by (still slowly going up at lvl 25, taking it easy), it looks like mythic has already been thinking about balancing it out more in Warhammer than in DAoC pre-toa.

Realm Abilities was way more powerfull and game-breakingly awesome in DAoC; Some would want that here in Warhammer, I see it is as a good thing that Renown Abilities are not nearly as powerfull as that helps balance the game High Renown Rank vs. Low Renown rank in the end-game;

Summarized:
Being Low RR vs. High RR in DAoC was way more difficult than in Warhammer.

Now, if items are not a seriously troublesome issue, which was the problem ToA created in DAoC, then there is going to be balance, to some extent, between people who play not so much and people who play a lot.

All that being said about that little off-topic diversion of the topic, it builds the grounds for my opinion on the subject, which is Mythic really need to fix this.

Needing more and more Renown points to get a higher RR is already slowing the progress down, nerfing the renown earnings, well, that is just double up the slowing; And can be accepted a bit as to boost low RR players; but the scale that renown earnings are nerfed is way out of proportion if you EVER risk getting lower RP for a player kill than the level of the player (if solo, that is)

1 RP for killing a lvl 38? Thats just ludicrisly stupid.

It ain't workin', it's broken and needs some fixing

EDIT: Or my last opinion could be made as "Don't nerf earnings for killing a low RR player, boost earnings for killing a high RR, and if base earnings for killing a lvl 38 is 1 renown, the system is broken completely"

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
people seem to forget another major advantage of having high renown...

access to some of the better equipment in the game.

the level 40 - renown 50-60-70 gear is really cool.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

The penalty has to be high to prevent griefing. It might need some tweaking but you do need to reduce the RP gain by a large amount otherwise it won't be effective. You are still getting full VP for your side in scenarios, even if you aren't getting many RP.

If there were plenty of people of a similar RR to you, this wouldn't be a problem. You would still be getting plenty of RP per fight. Would you rather they introduced cross server tournaments for the highest RR people or would you prefer to get more RP for farming randoms and lowbies?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I'm not sure what to make out of this.

GReaper, I have highest respect for you, but according to some of your guild friends you guild never loses (DAoC) and tbh I haven't seen many Groove players out solo back then.

So the probability of someone getting massive RPs from you while you get none from them must be somehow very theoretical :wub:.

1 RP gain is a too low though.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'd like a fair reward for the difficulty. I've played this game for a month, it's not like I'm a 6+ year veteran player in DAoC with an RR12 group. I'd prefer level 40 only scenarios, however I think Mythic knows that they really need to push open RvR.

It's just frustrating knowing you've put in the effort, the enemy a few kills and gets far more points than you get over the entire scenario.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
i have stopped playing for a bit, mainly becaise being a gimp magus i am rp fodder, and usually in scenarios i little RP's, that combined with magus need a set group to flourish with chaotic rift and there are not many out there. Will Probably wait till the patch and see what lub i get.

At the moment due to class mirroring there is nothing that really stands out with either destruction or order, would be good to give the top mastery abilities unique to each class.

:m00:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
your all forgetting something tho... theres 90(?) renown ranks and pvp is supposed to be the end game. what point would it be to get a renown level a day then? after two and a half months u'd have fuck all goal left.

hope they wont buff the renown gains anything. otherwise we will have the forums filled with power gamers whining about not having anything left to aim for.

i wouldn't mind them nerfing the gain quite a bit tbh. because right now its insanely easy to level renown if all you do is pvp.

AureliusAmbrosius

Fledgling Freddie
have stopped playing for a bit, mainly becaise being a gimp magus i am rp fodder, and usually in scenarios i little RP's, that combined with magus need a set group to flourish with chaotic rift and there are not many out there. Will Probably wait till the patch and see what lub i get.

At the moment due to class mirroring there is nothing that really stands out with either destruction or order, would be good to give the top mastery abilities unique to each class.

i appreciate whatyour saying about your problems playing a magus scorge , but it completely off topic and not really relevent to the original question.

your all forgetting something tho... theres 90(?) renown ranks and pvp is supposed to be the end game. what point would it be to get a renown level a day then? after two and a half months u'd have fuck all goal left.

hope they wont buff the renown gains anything. otherwise we will have the forums filled with power gamers whining about not having anything left to aim for.

i wouldn't mind them nerfing the gain quite a bit tbh. because right now its insanely easy to level renown if all you do is pvp

Theres 80 renown ranks Ctuchik and tbh i dont think your going to get a renown lvl a day somehow especially as you get higher and the amounts vastly increases.

The part about if all you do is PVP , hmm isnt that the whole point of the game ?

Yeh sure run a few dungeons now and then but they are not the main focus and eventually after you have done them a few times im sure you wont be going back just to grind them for something to do, you will be out there killing people instead.

Well you obviously think it scaling back to getting 1 renown for a solo kill of a lvl 38 player who was probably say at a guess RR 25-30 maybe as that seems to be average atm for a lot of people of that lvl is fine and is a good method of slowing down higher realm rank characters progression.
Personally i think ill disagree with that some penalty sure for killing lower renown ranks but right back to 1 point is just insane ,

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'd like a fair reward for the difficulty. I've played this game for a month, it's not like I'm a 6+ year veteran player in DAoC with an RR12 group. I'd prefer level 40 only scenarios, however I think Mythic knows that they really need to push open RvR.

It's just frustrating knowing you've put in the effort, the enemy a few kills and gets far more points than you get over the entire scenario.

You do realise your group would get more renown capping BOs and keeps than serpents passage farming lowbie renown rankers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom