Remote Controls

S

SoWat

Anybody using a programmable Remote Control?

I'm getting fed up of the number of remotes I have lying around, and have decided to get one of these.

I've been looking at the Sony VT300 and the Phillips Pronto.

Anyone used these, or maybe have recommendations for another model? I'm willing to spend around £200.

Cheers

C

Clowneh!

WOW. You're having a fucking bubble spending 200 quid on a remote :eek:
(Sorry I've never experienced one before so I can't help with your shopping :))

S

SoWat

Heh, I had the same response when I started looking at them.

£200 will buy a middle of the road model. £500-ish will buy a top of the range jobbie (tho' even I would choke paying that much for a remote).

F

FatBusinessman

At home, we have 6 remotes:

TV
Video
NTL digibox
Hi-fi
and 2 functionally identical DVD remotes

I can't really see how anyone could have more than that, and personally don't see how anyone could get sufficiently fed up to want to shell out £200 on an all-in-one remote.

You could always just make yourself a "utility belt" for remotes :)

C

Clowneh!

My mum's boss has one of them remotes... costs like 500 quid. Fuck that.

S

SoWat

Well, it may seem excessive, but I also have 6 remotes (one for surround sound system too). The Video one will disappear when the Sky+ thing turns up next week.

The Sky remote does most of the TV stuff except Mute (which I need to use to utilise the Home Theatre sound). So I have to use the TV remote for that, as well as changing the picture format to 16:9.

Add to that the surround sound remote, which I like to fiddle with during films, and the DVD remote I need to play/pause any films... it soon gets a bit old having 4 remotes lined up.

The most important reason though is the wife. She moans like hell when there's so many for her to use.... ergo: perfect excuse to buy a gadget.

Edit: Actually my iPaq has a very good remote control prog on it... but I don't fancy leaving that laying around the lounge for the ingrates at chez SoWat to poke to bits.

S

SoWat

Ended up popping into Richer Sounds Ealing and buying a Philips Pronto Neo. Nice buy at £119 :cool:

I also looked at the All-in-One Mosaic (great reviews for a £60 device), but it had too few hard buttons.

The Philips remote is just the job, especially as it has Macros :D

I now have to resist the urge to 'demonstrate' it to any visitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom