remote assistance woes

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
trying to get this POS working
both windows xp, 1 pro 1 home
both using it via the dropdown option in MSN msnger live

it comes up ok, does the whole "attempting to make connection" then just fails

any thoughts ?

windows firewall is off, tried it in safemode with networking incase of AV etc interference

only thing i can think is the router might be effecting it, but if so, anyone know what ports etc ?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Use Logmein instead (google it)

Kryten

Old Cow.
We use LogMeIn here but it's rather slow for anything more than the most basic tasks.
You can effectively bypass the router's security - in the router settings find the option/ability to set your computer (or your computers IP address) as a DMZ, so everything goes straight through).
If it works, you know then to narrow down to the ports you need and remove from the DMZ. If it doesn't, the router isn't the issue.

A quick google shows standard port for RDP is 3389.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I use it with firefox and the plugin and I can't say I've ever noticed it was slow Kryt. How do you use it?

bigfunkymonkey

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah logmein is about the best out there, I also have not noticed any realy speed difference between rdp and logmein.

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
Do u have it enabled? Go to control panel -> system -> remotem, and there's a checkbox there to enable it (it will still appear as an option in messenger if disabled)

Kryten

Old Cow.
MysticG - I suspect in which case it's our heavily nasty-riddled system at work (crap security software, F-Secure, administrators who don't have a clue what they're doing and hired just because some relatives work(ed) here.)
Otherwise I actually quite like how it works, just never really used it on a non nasty riddled sys :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom