Related Threads

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I like this feature, it's handy - especially in the TechNation forum where past discussions are common and it's useful to be able to check back.

However, and many people will be able to guess what's coming, the quantity of DAOC forum threads is *really* distorting the results to an irritating degree.

Could we have a forum hack made so that related threads are only compiled from the same forum please? Or the same forum group at most? (e.g. Where General Forum related threads would also include the Feedback forum).
I think my preference is towards 'same forum' really - but that's up to mob rule.

Opinions? Support? Lynchings?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
If we were feeling ironic we could award points (lets call them, say, levels) to Generalites for posting that first in Feedback threads. +1 DAOC Basher and all that. I think you're winning Wazz.

Alternatively, we could not ;)

I was going to make an on topic ending about having the originating Forum listed with the related thread. However, it already does that, so I'll just shut up until someone posts on topic too.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Swift^ said:
Stop taking me so bloody seriously.

Haven't people learnt by now?
If you could just put that RL picture of yourself in your public profile, you'll never have this problem again.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Shovel said:
I like this feature, it's handy - especially in the TechNation forum where past discussions are common and it's useful to be able to check back.

However, and many people will be able to guess what's coming, the quantity of DAOC forum threads is *really* distorting the results to an irritating degree.

Could we have a forum hack made so that related threads are only compiled from the same forum please? Or the same forum group at most? (e.g. Where General Forum related threads would also include the Feedback forum).
I think my preference is towards 'same forum' really - but that's up to mob rule.

Opinions? Support? Lynchings?

Seems like a good idea but then the usefulness of it becomes less as it may miss important threads. Let me think about this.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
If you want to deny SheepCow his weekend, you could have a system whereby users can choose which forums get included in their related threads list - or have a "forum blacklist" for each user - let them block out a top level forum of their choice (e.g. - in this case - block out DAOC, which will block out all the DAOC sub forums as well).

If you want to make SC sweat of course...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deebs said:
FFS, it is not gonna happen. Move on.
This may seem stupid, but would it not just be more logical to "hive off" DAoC. Now before I get the slapping I can feel coming let me explain:
  • If the vB license allows it, set up daoc.freddyshouse.com & run an entierly separate copy of vB there. Knowing you Tony you'd be easily able to set this up for bandwidth monitoring (& if necessary capping) and usage statistics.
  • If as I swear I've already read somewhere it's possible to do tie both forums into a single login database - that way there's no duplication & still single logins.
This would leave you with the two communities intact, still able to interact, without them having any reasons to bitch & whine at each other, no need for extensive modifications to vB (all of which suggested just seem to boil down in reality to "can we have a DAoC filter") & on the main FH forums you can use one of those "Forum links to site" jobs to replace the DAoC link with daoc.fh.com

Or am I going mental?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I think megs solution will solve more problems in the long run, but having daoc as a group that you had to join to see any daoc content would be good too.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
The VB license doesn't allow it, you pay for one license per domain or DNS name... even if they directed back to the same forum... Sucky or what... ?

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
It would be simpler to do this with groups, creating groups for each major forum, those you don't join you can't see in related threads, latest posts, etc, etc.

Xav

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
But that presumably requires user inititive to join said groups?

I mean, I know that those of us who donated get access to the Elite forum, and I know there's some other odd groups floating about (presumably for testing), but it's all dependent on you finding it?

Which I think means: "We want a hack so that the DAOC forums magically disappear and we don't care where you hide the key". Anyone want to employ me as a translator?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Xavier said:
It would be simpler to do this with groups, creating groups for each major forum, those you don't join you can't see in related threads, latest posts, etc, etc.

Xav

Which I will do once I get the chance this weekend to test on my testforums.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Deebs said:
Which I will do once I get the chance this weekend to test on my testforums.
You sir, are a saint.

\o/

\o/

\o/

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Xavier said:

Xav
Well I hope you're right but from my historic vB experiences they generally don't pay much attention when developing features. Besides I already know T is working on this (Oh & if you want a hand gimmie a shout on IRC this afternoon, should be outta woolies by 2/3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom