Registry question

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Heya,

I wanted to know the answer to an IT question I was asked. I'll no doubt learn it through courses, but I struggled to find an answer online and I wanted to know sooner, rather than later.

How can I check the RAM being used on another machine remotely? I cannot connect using Remote Desktop as this will log them off. I 'think' this can be done by accessing their Registry settings, however I do not know for sure :(

Bob007

Prince Among Men
To check the amount of ram being used on a remote machine you'd use Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe). Add a new counter in this case ram and point it at the remote PC instead of the local machine.

The service to get this to work is Remote Registry. This needs to be running on the remote machines. Then fireup perfmon and watch them counters stroll by.

Uses port TCP 445. So if firewalls are in play. Open that 1 up.

Also, the screen for perfmon looks good. Add about 6 machines, use a few types of counter for a good graph spread. Maximise it to full screen then minimise it. When boss strolls past, open it up and he/she'll be dazzeled by the pretty colours and stuff :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom