Registry Cleaner

Bahumat

FH is my second home
My dad's pc is running extremely slow. I've ran malwarebytes and it finds nothing. AVG finds nothing and I don't think he's got a nasty virus etc.

I've done Error checking on the disk, disk cleanup, defrag but it's still pretty slow. We reloaded it about a year ago so surely Windows degredation has not sunk in just yet?

Only thing I can think of is a Registry Cleaner program. Does anyone know a good, FREE program I could try?

Thanks in advance

Bahumat

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
CCleaner (CCleaner - Home), but I can't see how the registry being "cleaned" would help. Really, you want to check:

1) if there are any applications/services running that shouldn't be

2) the Events Viewer, see if anything is constantly fucking up

Syri

FH is my second home
Have a look at the task manager, see if anything is using abnormal amounts of cpu time or memory.
Not something that would see a huge performance benefit, but if the drive gets fragmented, that can slow down opening files and launching programs, especially if it gets really bad. NTFS doesn't seem to get anywhere near as bad as fat16 and 32 did though, but if it's a slower hard drive, such as a laptop drive which tend to be 5400 or 4200 rpm, that can make a bit more difference.
Might also be worth looking if there's any conflicting programs. One thing I encountered working on the phones was virus checkers conflicting. sometimes this would lead to all out crashes, but often would just slow the system right down. This can be especially noticed on pre-built pcs, which usually have a virus checker stuffed in the windows installation, and it's usually a super bloated one like norton or mcafee.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
CCleaner (CCleaner - Home), but I can't see how the registry being "cleaned" would help. Really, you want to check:

1) if there are any applications/services running that shouldn't be

2) the Events Viewer, see if anything is constantly fucking up

Yeah was running out of things to try and thought it may have helped :(

Have a look at the task manager, see if anything is using abnormal amounts of cpu time or memory.
Not something that would see a huge performance benefit, but if the drive gets fragmented, that can slow down opening files and launching programs, especially if it gets really bad. NTFS doesn't seem to get anywhere near as bad as fat16 and 32 did though, but if it's a slower hard drive, such as a laptop drive which tend to be 5400 or 4200 rpm, that can make a bit more difference.
Might also be worth looking if there's any conflicting programs. One thing I encountered working on the phones was virus checkers conflicting. sometimes this would lead to all out crashes, but often would just slow the system right down. This can be especially noticed on pre-built pcs, which usually have a virus checker stuffed in the windows installation, and it's usually a super bloated one like norton or mcafee.

Yup tried a defrag and its a desktop so hard drive speed should be ok.
Only have AVG and MalwareBytes on there so dont think it's conflicting virus checkers etc.

Checked cpu usage and everything is fine.

Not looked in the events viewer, but I get no error messages or anything. However will have a look as it cant hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom