Regarding hacked accounts

legis

Fledgling Freddie
Well, without analyzing what they might have done or have in common there is no way to get to know how it all happened. If they are convinced their hotmail accounts were hacked then I sure hope they report it to Hotmail. But even you must agree to an extent that it's a bit suspicious that those having their account hacked have a relation besides using Hotmail. Hotmail has millions accounts.

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
Like you say Legis - its probably best if people don't keep passwords in places that are not secure and at the moment there is a doubt over some security aspects of hotmail. Even if there is the remotest chance that it is a threat surely you would advise to use another mail service - even if the chance of getting hacked is negligable to nil?

I know fuck all about hacking or development in general but i understand risk quite well - people just have to do what they can to minimise it...and if that means going to a mail service that has not had these sorts of reports (whether they be true or not) then i reckon thats all that most people can do.

Dahr

Fledgling Freddie
legis said:
Well, without analyzing what they might have done or have in common there is no way to get to know how it all happened. If they are convinced their hotmail accounts were hacked then I sure hope they report it to Hotmail. But even you must agree to an extent that it's a bit suspicious that those having their account hacked have a relation besides using Hotmail. Hotmail has millions accounts.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out someones hotmail acct if you get the hotmail and thus control over the msn of 1 person, which is friends with other people who are on his msn (which kinda shows those people's email).

And I doubt the one who was messing around in their hotmail got the passwords from these 5 hotmail users via other means then having a leak in hotmail security.

Cyfr

Banned
I personaly don't think its a hotmail exploit. When exploits happen it gets pasted all over news sites and such.. this is not the case at the moment in time..

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Me and my brother did a little test ... I didn't hack anyone or anything but I had a look at some of the secret questions of people on my MSN list ... there were questions like "Favorite color", "Place of birth" and "Favorite sports team" ...

The color thing can't be hard ... I mean how many colors are there ...

The place of birth thing can't be hard either ... Now I knew where these people were born as they were relatives/friends I've known for years but even from a complete stranger it shouldn't be hard to figure it out ... have a casual chat with the person and some point ask "So where are you from" ... the sports team is even easier ...

I know it's easiest to blame Microsoft ... I mean we're all used to blaming Microsoft ... heck even MS themselves I guess ... but realise that it might not always be a security problem ...

legis

Fledgling Freddie
Dahr said:
It shouldn't be too hard to figure out someones hotmail acct if you get the hotmail and thus control over the msn of 1 person, which is friends with other people who are on his msn (which kinda shows those people's email).

And I doubt the one who was messing around in their hotmail got the passwords from these 5 hotmail users via other means then having a leak in hotmail security.

Well, that's still not a likely situation. This would mean that the guy knows about a way to exploit Hotmail but he chooses to only exploit one account. I think it's more likely that one of those having their account hacked has acted in negligence. If this person had the others account information too in his Inbox, then it's obvious how he got access to them.

All this is just speculation which really is doing no good. I say report it to Hotmail. Until I have more information I will not blame Hotmail.

Funkybunny

Banned
Shanaia said:
Me and my brother did a little test ... I didn't hack anyone or anything but I had a look at some of the secret questions of people on my MSN list ... there were questions like "Favorite color", "Place of birth" and "Favorite sports team" ...

The color thing can't be hard ... I mean how many colors are there ...

The place of birth thing can't be hard either ... Now I knew where these people were born as they were relatives/friends I've known for years but even from a complete stranger it shouldn't be hard to figure it out ... have a casual chat with the person and some point ask "So where are you from" ... the sports team is even easier ...

I know it's easiest to blame Microsoft ... I mean we're all used to blaming Microsoft ... heck even MS themselves I guess ... but realise that it might not always be a security problem ...

that is called social engineering ;)

"hi this is bill from the dakota dep... my boss just called me and he was so pissed off since i forgot to include the R.O.P5051 in the jan-rep... and i noticed that i actually forgot that machine.. can you plz give me the stat-rep on that?" :)

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
<points>

see ... listen to the bunny ... he says I'm right and he even has a fancypancy word for it!!

(think it's the first time someone agrees with me on FH/BW... sorry for enjoying it)

Cyfr

Banned
Shanaia said:
<points>

see ... listen to the bunny ... he says I'm right and he even has a fancypancy word for it!!

(think it's the first time someone agrees with me on FH/BW... sorry for enjoying it)

I agree too. :)

We had an 'outbreak' of people doing that to each other at school. Most of them had the secret question 'What school do I go to?' It didn't take the other people that long to figure that one out and start causing mayhem ;)

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
Cavex ElSaviour said:
It's quiet easy to figure out why ppl use it. First of all its free. Second reasson is that "everyone" used it in a time when I didnt know anything about internet etc. another reason is that i needed/wanted my own email adres and my dad used our isp email addy. (back then you only got 1 email adres). fourth reason is MSN. can say what you want but it's a nice program to chat with your friends. (yes there are better, but since "everyone" is using it its easier to use the same)

now there are also a number of reasons why I keep using it. The most important reason is that a lot of old friends i hardly speak have my email adress and drop a line or two every now and then. It's easier to keep the account and keep using it then to track down everybodies email adress and mail them my new one.
Another big reason is that it has saved my ass numerous times at uni up to know. I make a report that needs to be hand in, print it out go to school and find out the rain has wet your report, the fat guy sitting on your bag has crushed the floppy so your basicly screwed. But since i ALWAYS mail it to my self i can open up the report at every internet connection and reprint the thing

As long as you don't use hotmail for any sensitive information storage i don't see any problems using it. its free, easy to use and easy to acces.

Bump Muppet Lord :p

kr0n

Fledgling Freddie
MSN IS TEH SPAWN OF SATAN!
USING IT CONDEMNS YOU TO ETERNAL MISERY AND AGONY!

etc.

So, don't use it, it's a proven fact that the majority is stupid and the minority's smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom