Refreshing a page..

O

old.Jestra

Hi,

Dont know if this is the correct forum for this. Sorry if its not..

Basically when someone goes to my web site, then goes back when its been changed, the old page is still displayed untill they refresh it.

Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

Thanks.

W

wyrd_fish

i don't think so

although...

if you have a page before the updated page you will be able to put a random number in the url, this may cause the browser to think of it as a new page...

index.htm linking to index2.htm?random=25277334424324

although this will need some code to genorate the random number...

can you run PHP on your host???

and a URL would be nice

J

Jonty

Hi Jestra

This problem is usually associated with the client's browse cache settings, which you can't change per se. However, you can include on your pages something called a HTTP header (a special, hidden command) which prevents the user from caching the page he or she is viewing. This in turn means that everytime he or she visits the page, they are forced to download it afresh. The only downsides to this is that your site's bandwidth will increase, and if the pages in question are large in size, the user is going to be unhappy at having to download it afresh every time they visit.

Anyway if you want more details please feel free to post again and I'll go and check exactly what you need to include on your pages.

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread