reducing lag with a wireless network.

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
ive read through eggys thread and it has been pretty usefull to me in trying to figure out why i lag so dam much with my wireless network. i have a net gear wireless router and another netgear access point (bcos my house is pretty big and i wasnt gettin a strong enuf signal in my room). My laptop has built in wireless and im using a linksey wireless adaptor. My signal on my pc is usually at 50% but even at that my ping is high. Im on 512 broadband atm. Wat can help me reduce lag? Would the linksy booster thing be worth a try?

until recently i never got much lag and now i have enuf to piss me off in rvr. Pls help guys as this lag is killin me :(

cheers,

ad

Nocode

Fledgling Freddie
Pretty odd to get lots of lag suddenly if things been running fine till recently.
First off you dont make clear if the "lag" you mention is between your computer and Daoc server?
Because if that is the case it could easily be an Inet/ISP problem.
Check out ping times between your computer and router if that connection got low ping times i dont see a reason to upgrade hardware and most likely it would be time to go bother your ISP.

If that all made a little sence :)

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Ty for the advice m8y. Noob question: How do i track my ping over the network?

Cheers,

Ad

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Adlatus Hellbringer said:
Ty for the advice m8y. Noob question: How do i track my ping over the network?

Cheers,

Ad

Start >> Run >> cmd [return]

ipconfig /all [return]

check the number behind "DHCP Server" which looks a bit like 192.168.123.254

ping that number by (should the number be thesame as the number above):

ping 192.168.123.254

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Ok im gettin 1 lost packet and it takes 3ms as a round trip...

Is this about normal or is it pretty bad?

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Hi mate.

Well, I'm using Linksys as you know. If I do a pingplot to my router; it's always either 1 or 2 ms. I don't lag in-game, but the thing that varies is the transfer rate.

I've found the thing that makes the biggest difference is even a very small movement of the PCI card ariel. If I position it just 1cm away from vertical, for example, the reception goes up 10%...madness. I'm getting new antennas tomorrow to give that a go.

But anyway, I don't seem to get any packetloss or lag, which I found very surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom