Reduced Broadband

X

xane

I've been tempted to recommend one of the low-speed broadband services, and example is Tiscali who do a 150kbps ADSL for £15/month.

For people who are just looking for an unmetered service, and not interested in downloading huge amounts, it seems ideal, but does anyone here have experience of such a service in terms of quality ?

TIA

J

Jonty

Hi xane

Just flying through :( Basically, from what I have heard of ntl (the first to offer these quasi-broadband services) the 150k services are very good, the only downside being that they may not live up to 'broadband' expectations. That is, at 150k you will be surfing ~3x faster than dial-up, but this still isn't enough to satisfy many 'broadband' multimedia services. That's the main (justified) criticism which has been made of these services, as far as I know.

Other than that complaint, the take-up rate is apparently very good, especially with the price. In terms of quality, it's identical to 'proper' broadband in terms of the types of lines used, the modems provided, the benefits (always on etc.). This also means if you're ever feeling flush in the future, you can upgrade to a faster service very easily since everything is already in place.

If you do want to upgrade, then have a look around, since there are often good deals to be had (free installation, first x month(s) free etc.). But remember, you'll probably be tied to the service for twelve months in the contract, so make sure you're getting the service that best suits you.

Kind Rgards

B

Brass Monkeys

Zen Internet .. One Month Contract .. now thats sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread