Books Red Storm Rising

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Been reading this Tom Clancy classic again for the first time in 7 or 8 years and god damn I forgot what a brilliant read it is. It is a damn shame they will never make a film that could justify the story as it is an epic war story for the ages.

Would love it is someone made a modern game based on it, the old one was good for it's time but what they could achieve now would make for a stunning strategy game.

R2D3

Fledgling Freddie
It is a damn shame they will never make a film that could justify the story as it is an epic war story for the ages.

When I read a really good book I usually groan when I hear it is being made into a film, as the film almost never lives up to the book. Actually trying to think of one that did and nope.... (though there were some that came sorta close)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
agree to an extent....but it depends on the director

LoTR worked - ok it was quite different to the books in some places, loyal in others, but Jackson's a massive Tolkein nut, and the overall feel worked really well

I dread to think how much James Cameron would butcher something like the Magician trilogy (Raymond E Feist)....I mean look at Avatar - what a pile of shit...but someone like Peter Jackson (not actually Peter Jackson, but someone with a passion for the books) would probably do a better job (as long as the studio doesn't start making outrageous changes)

R2D3

Fledgling Freddie
LoTR worked - ok it was quite different to the books in some places, loyal in others, but Jackson's a massive Tolkein nut, and the overall feel worked really well

Would agree, apart from the ending :(

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Been reading this Tom Clancy classic again for the first time in 7 or 8 years and god damn I forgot what a brilliant read it is. It is a damn shame they will never make a film that could justify the story as it is an epic war story for the ages.

Would love it is someone made a modern game based on it, the old one was good for it's time but what they could achieve now would make for a stunning strategy game.

One of my all time favourite books to read. Find the first bit of the book a little slow going but boy once it gets going it is unstoppable. Am sure I read somewhere that the US Military read it and thought it was highly probable in how things would work out if there was a "conventional" war in Europe.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Completely agree - This is one of my favorite Clancy books :)

This and "Executive decision" I think.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Sum of all Fears was a pretty addictive page turner.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Nice to know some pretty clued up people love it as well. :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Been doing some research and looking for other books of this type but there seems to be very few of any quality, suprising really as Red Storm Rising has sold an insane amount of copies.

Can anyone recommend something good?

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
Harold Coyle wrote some good ones around the same time, Team Yankee and Swordpoint (not sure if SP is Coyle) are pretty good.Larry Bond wrote a couple of books that were ok'ish.

Dale Brown wrote some good flying books (Day of the Cheetah is awesome)

Had loads of the genre in the past, but ran out of room on my shelves

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Larry Bond has written Red Dragon Rising! Such a shame the reviews aren't great but I might give it a go anyway.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I've not read any Tom Clancy but based on what you guys said here I recommended one to a friend yesterday when we were out and he was umming and awing over whether or not to buy it.

If he doesn't like it I am innocent of all blame and shall be passing the buck off on you lot :)

[edit: if he likes it though I'm claiming all the credit :p ]

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Can't go wrong with Red Storm Rising, The Hunt for Red October, The Bear and The Dragon or The Cardinal of the Kremlin. His other books are generally good as well (Netforce can be very poor though) but the above are what I would consider to be his best.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Halfway through 'Cauldron' by Larry Bond, the guy who co-wrote 'Red Storm Rising'. You can tell he played a heavy part in writing R.S.R. as well, the writing style of that book is almost identical to Cauldron. Anyway, so far a brilliant read, the first 278 pages serve as a political thriller telling the build up to a pan-european war. From then onwards it is a nice mix of military battles combined with political intrigue as more and more nations get pulled in.

Will post more when I have finished the book.

Oh and 'Team Yankee' by Harold Colye was an excellent read as well, it tells a story of world war 3 from the perspective of a U.S. tank commander stationed in Germany during the mid-80's. The big picture isn't handled that well, it is ok but it could be better, the military stuff is excellently told though and keeps you hooked until the last page.

Considering that both books cost me £2.50 (inc P&p) each from the used book marketplace on Amazon I am very happy. :)

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
Glad you liked them, some early Stephen Coonts stuff isn't bad either

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Almost done with Cauldron, will make a post tomorrow if I managed to get through the last 100 pages before bed. :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Finished! Brilliant book, totally recommended if you liked Red Storm Rising. :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Halfway through 'Red Phoenix' by Larry Bond, an absolute blinder!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I've just borrowed my brother-in-law's copy of Red Storm. Cor! its a bit of a page-turner innit? Well recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom