Red Hat Help

F

Furr

Hi all, I have just downloaded and installed Redhat Linux 8

My problem is that i cant or dont know how to access the hardisk that has windows and all my files on it, i tried the tutorial on the redhat site but to no avail, do i have a problem because the hda1 drive that has windows on it is NTFS??

Help meeee

//edit

Also WTF cant i get my mousewhell to wok. its just a plain serial wheel mouse bah!

W

Will

Yeah, the vanilla linux kernel can't read NTFS. You need to compile a custom kernel with NTFS support. Read support, as far as I know, it tempremental. Write support is really not recommended if you want to use the data again.;)

At least, thats what I think it is. I'm no expert though.

P

PR.

Boot back into Windows, go to disk management and delete the offending [linux] partition, then give the disk space back to windows

:p

T

Testin da Cable

hmm afaik it actually should have asked you if you wanted access to the doze partitions [but it may be so that it doesn't if they are formatted to NTFS]. you will, as Itcheh says, either have to make a new kernel -or- load some modules that enable the reading of NTFS filesystems. I have no idea which ones [just off the top of my head] but I'll have a wee look and see if I can help [very busy atm though, so it'll be this evening before I can get back to you]

T

Testin da Cable

by the way...getting your mouse buttons . wheel to work should be automagic too,
read about how to enable manually [ie edit a file called XF86Config or something] here: http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.1/mouse5.html#21

mine looks like this:
Code:
Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Buttons"    "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

note "ZAxisMapping"...that's the wheel

F

Furr

well so far i have been able to get the mouse button working, and it seems redhat are the only major distributor that dont nativly support NTFS, but after some searching (Google is your friend) i found a site that make it possible to access the data on NTFS. Although i haven't been able to get OS to automount the drive yet when it boots.

Another thing, Redhat auto updated the kernel and now in the boot selector i have both, i have removed the old kernel but I dont know how to remove it from the boot selector. Any idea.

Actaully warming up to linux, still a bit confusing and have no bloody idea on how to update my Creative live! 5.1 driver if linux even supports 5.1?

S

Shocko

If you're using lilo as your boot loader, then /etc/lilo.conf
However with RH, i suspect you'll have grub, which i *think* has its config in /boot/grub/

NTFS is scientifically proven to be gh3y - If you want to access your windows partitions from rh, then use FAT for them, since the vfat fs works flawlessly in 2.4 :)

For your sound card, what actually is the problem? There's a fair amount of soundcards supported in the kernel itself, and i bet all of the popular Creative ones have drivers written for them.

If you have some way of mounting your NTFS partition, and you want it to automount, then edit /etc/fstab However, read up on it first(man fstab), since there's a few options that you have to set for each fs specified in there.

T

Testin da Cable

'automount' stuff by adding it to a file called /etc/fstab [BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!]
format is like "what" "where" "how" "options" really. type <man fstab> into a console and see what you can see.

boot thingy: depends which one you're using really. it it's lilo there will be a file called /etc/lilo.conf otherwise you'll have to google or man <yourbootselector>

iirc 5.1 isn't supported [yet]. you will get audio because the emu10k[2] chip can be driven by linux though

F

Furr

I did try to edit the fstab but kept gettinf bad Fs etc etc...

at the moment im using this site to try and get it up and running.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

however i get a permission denied error even when logged in as root with full permisions with this command

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs -r -o umask=0222

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

T

Testin da Cable

does the directory /mnt/windows actually exist? <mkdir /mnt/windows> if not

F

Furr

fixed, just had to change the directory permissions.

W

Will

Heh, a little (a lot) off topic, but I watched a film Anti-Trust last night, which was a parody of Microsoft vs. Open Source. What was truely amazing was that the hacking scenes, rather than the standard powerpoint presentations we are normally treated to, were actual Linux commands. I even saw the use of mount, grep and restore.;)

F

Furr

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I dont know what i have done now, but now it doesn't boot into the GUI, it tries too but i get a blue/green screen with two boxes that contain funny characters, when i press enter it then goes into command code, what have i done. :(

S

Shocko

The blue screen sounds like the console GUI thing, not X. Check /etc/inittab, and see where you have 'id:5:initdefault:' at the top(after the comments), as opposed to the same line but with a 3 there. I would imagine you've messed something up which is causing X to fail. Check the X logs in /var/log or try running X from a terminal with 'startx'.

*point* *laugh* :D

T

Testin da Cable

at a guess I'd say you've screwed up your XF86Config. as Shocko says, look to the logs.

hehheh that's funny Will :) usually it's different [like you said]. still, better that than the hogwash we normally get ;)

D

danger

Gah I've had exactly the same probs (sorta) installed RH for the first time this morning... install went well sept I couldn't get meh wheel working... thought I'd come nag u guys but there was already a post.... cheers tdc :)

as for the mounting problem... i'm having trouble mounting a fat32 partition.... basically i have primary partition which is NTFS with XP in then an extended Dos partition with 1 logical partition..... for my MP3s.... windows reads this drive as D and i'm quite sure it's hda3 in linux....

neway to mount this drive I tryed (as it says in the manual)

mount -t vfat /dev/hda3 /mnt/hdd (as root)

but all i get is the message:

mount: /dev/hda3 already mounted or /mnt/hdd busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hda3 is mounted on /

i tryed cd /dev/hda3.....
bash: cd: /dev/hda3: Not a directory

Hmm i'm not that sure what I'm doing as I said I touched linux for the first time this morning heh :p

any help would be appreciated.... :)

W

Will

Just type "mount", and you'll see what is already mounted.

"mount -l" will show what filesystem they are using.

*guesses*

D

danger

[root@localhost /]# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

root@localhost /]# mount -l
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw) [/]
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

that mean much? what does type ext3... ? isn't that linux format... in which case am i trying to mount the wrong partition? :) how would i find out which partition is which ? (if i am indeed right?)

D

danger

GOT IT :) yep was trying to mount the wrong partition was hda5 :) cheers itcheh u pointed me in the right direction ;)

hmm i'm starting to like this OS :)

D

danger

oh 1 more thing is it safe to write to a fat32 partition? :) u were saying it was a bad idea with NTFS

W

Will

Fat32 should be fine.

*Itcheh does not accept responsibility for loss of data*

T

Testin da Cable

should be. ext3 is ext2 with extra topping and sprinkles.

D

danger

Originally posted by Itcheh
Fat32 should be fine.

*Itcheh does not accept responsibility for loss of data*

/me slaps itcheh with a lawsuit!

heh.. yeah seems to work fine ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom