Recycling - when will we/will we see a result?

Jeros

Part of the furniture
We should all be forced to recycle so as to do something, no matter how small, to help save the planet were are as a species are killing, its a simple as that.

When a sparrow makes a nest does it tear the nest apart after it has layed its eggs? Of course not because that would mean the death of its next generation, and what sane organism would destroy its own habitat.

think about it

Oh and listen to us greenies, you want to be on our good side when your begging us to make more windfarms or hydroelectric powerplants when there is so little resources left or the planet is in such a state it suddenly becomes the most cost effective option.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Jeros like i said earlier, the planets fine, we're not even denting it.

All humans are managing, is to MAYBE some day make it unhabitable for us.

About asking greenies for help to build windplants and whatnot, doubt i'll be needing some in my lifetime, and however "bad" it sounds, it's not my problem.

I care for the planet, but the humans, well, not that much.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Jeros like i said earlier, the planets fine, we're not even denting it.

All humans are managing, is to MAYBE some day make it unhabitable for us.

About asking greenies for help to build windplants and whatnot, doubt i'll be needing some in my lifetime, and however "bad" it sounds, it's not my problem.

I care for the planet, but the humans, well, not that much.

Some say we are not even denting it, others say we are.

We really need to get all these eggheads into a ring and let them fight it out to decide, we can call it University Deathmatch!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Some say we are not even denting it, others say we are.

We really need to get all these eggheads into a ring and let them fight it out to decide, we can call it University Deathmatch!

Yeah. I too would like to know what we're doing to it.

Because, honestly, it used to be this rock of molten lava etc, and it seemed to do ok still. Get bombarded by meteors and all kinds of fun.

Heck, there used to be 500 feet pilars of fire shooting from the oceans and the sky be filled with so much toxins that it was bright red(if i remember correctly).

So...what did we do? Poke a hole in the atmosphere and bring plastic? :D

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Yeah. I too would like to know what we're doing to it.

Because, honestly, it used to be this rock of molten lava etc, and it seemed to do ok still. Get bombarded by meteors and all kinds of fun.

Heck, there used to be 500 feet pilars of fire shooting from the oceans and the sky be filled with so much toxins that it was bright red(if i remember correctly).

So...what did we do? Poke a hole in the atmosphere and bring plastic? :D

well if we manage to heat the planet up just a few more degrees we could cause underground methane gas to eascape that would ignite in the sky with the force of several atomic bombs.....or so i read.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Huntingtons said:
and i couldnt disagree more with kagato - if you're too lazy to sort your waste you shouldnt be allowed to have waste. im really curious of why it should be optional and not enforced?

50% of the stuff they are enforcing me to put in my paper bin is stuff that was put through the door against my will!!
I shouldn't be allowed to have waste?? I couldn't avoid having it if I actually expended effort trying!

Kagato said:
Now personally i'd like to see the car companies scrap the stupid hybrids and actually put more research into full electric cars.

Instead of driving around in little power plants lets build a big one out in the country and ship the power to our car instead!!
Yes i'm taking the piss slightly but most environmentally friendly schemes tend to preech about how much better something is, completely ignoring the fact that the stuff that's actually running it is killing the planet just as much, just in a different location.

Gamah said:
People who moan about recycling are just lazy c*nts that cant be bothered to put paper/plastic separate from everything else. It's not really hard to put your cans into a separate bin now is it?

Sure for those people with a house big enough to have 4 bins in every room there's no excuse. Or they could do a small amount of research and improve the way it was seperated at the other end, probably for much less effort than constantly badgering people.

Gamah said:
These are the same people who drive around in 4x4's in the city…pompous pricks who don't give a fuck about anyone else including their children.

I currently drive a 4x4. I can assure you that I get better MPG than lots of the people driving about in their latest 0-60 in 4 seconds car-peen while blaming 4x4 drivers for the end of the universe.

Gamah said:
It's people like you I hope they tax through the nose with green taxes.

You don't seriously believe that taxing people is going to make even the slightest bit of difference do you?
If they put that money towards stuff that would make a difference.. a public transport system that wasn't utter crap to stop people using their cars so much then yeah it would maybe be worthwhile.
Instead the money will go straight into creating weapons to blow up causing way more environmental damage than the bit of paper you put in the same bin as a can.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
One of the "funny" things of this "We all need to save the world!", is the mentality that it's somehow my responsibility.

I didn't f*ck up the "planet", so why should i fix it?

If someone tips a truck of pesticide on the street, i'm not expected to clean it up now am i?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Because police states lead to nothing but problems.

I've had my quota of "forced" behavior with the smoking law, the moment some government wankjob tries to force some eco crap down my throat, is the day i go and buy a shotgun.
how exaclty is a forced recycle a police state? how can recycling NOT be good for society? if this is considered a move towards a police state... well, i cant find words to describe how this... well... im amazed anybody could think what you've written...

pah...

cant get over it... i.. t... 's... blah.

One of the "funny" things of this "We all need to save the world!", is the mentality that it's somehow my responsibility.

I didn't f*ck up the "planet", so why should i fix it?

If someone tips a truck of pesticide on the street, i'm not expected to clean it up now am i?
how has that anything to do with recycling and "saving" the world? do you not admit to have thrown damaging products out on the street or in the garbage can, even tho you're well aware that plastic (example) is impossible for nature to dissovle into natural elements and you had the chance to sort your garbage by free will?

it sounds like an excuse for hipocracy

50% of the stuff they are enforcing me to put in my paper bin is stuff that was put through the door against my will!!
I shouldn't be allowed to have waste?? I couldn't avoid having it if I actually expended effort trying!

or, you could just call in the post office or whereever you have to and politly ask them to ignore your address, get an anti-ad sticker for the door and whatnot. i dont get anything i dont want in my door anymore...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
how exaclty is a forced recycle a police state? how can recycling NOT be good for society? if this is considered a move towards a police state... well, i cant find words to describe how this... well... im amazed anybody could think what you've written...

pah...

cant get over it... i.. t... 's... blah.

how has that anything to do with recycling and "saving" the world? do you not admit to have thrown damaging products out on the street or in the garbage can, even tho you're well aware that plastic (example) is impossible for nature to dissovle into natural elements and you had the chance to sort your garbage by free will?

it sounds like an excuse for hipocracy

First part: Any time goverment forces some sort of behavior on us, it's a step closer to police state. Next, it's no drinking soda on streets. Then maybe no eating meat. Then maybe no alcohol.

It's all fine and dandy as long as they don't bother YOU, but just you wait if the government decides "eco stuff is bad" and try to force you out of it, you'd be here saying "what an outrage".

Last part: You're just trying to shift, like i said, the blame. Me recycling, won't save the problems other issues cause. And the problems other have cause to the planet, are NOT mine to fix. Answer what i said, don't twist it around.

I won't personally do anything that will harm the PLANET, like i said, humanity, f*ck off if i care. And the planet, heck, might have made us to MAKE plastic for all we know(to paraphrase george carlin).

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
the earth will be laughing long after that mankind is gone from this planet saying "lol, they actually thought it would make a difference if the recycled"

Gamah

Banned
Tha attitude of people on this forum is exactly why humanity is doomed to wipe it's self out.

"It's not my problem"

Well when your house is 10ft under water and your starving to death you can say "it's not my problem"

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
but i think most of us will be dead by then, which is maybe why there is not much care.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
did not asked to be put on this earth, so don't care to much

Gamah

Banned
Yeah but some of us will have children, surely you should care about thier future?

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
not much of a future thinker, happy if I can think about what will happen the next hour

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah but some of us will have children, surely you should care about thier future?

This is exactly the point, I should NOT be forced to care about them.

Like you don't care about my mother, my brother, my possible kids(except in a VERY wide way).

If you get kids, you (might) care for the future of humankind.

If you don't, you don't have to.

What makes the actions of others my problem? In other words, why should i care if you decide to breed? Why should i bring out the ductape if you poke the atmosphere?

And what Gamah said "When your house is 10 feet under", probably won't happen to me, and the goverment won't still leave me drowning just because i did/didn't recycle.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
It's another example of people completely missing the point.

Lets give people a bin so they can recycle paper then charge them when they don't do it.. instead of stopping the mass mailing companies from dumping a ton of the stuff through my letterbox each year in the first place.

The answer to getting where we want to be isn't by pushing recycling. It's working out how to get rid of the need for most of the stuff in the first place.

70% of what I throw out each week could easilly of not been produced in the first place, and they don't need a truck to come pick up the stuff and then a plant to process it in order to gain from it.

rep worthy.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
why I love that I have, and that its respected a note over my mail slot saying

"No ads please!"

only problem only mail I get now is bills :(

Gamah

Banned
why I love that I have, and that its respected a note over my mail slot saying

"No ads please!"

only problem only mail I get now is bills :(

Switch to online bill management, problem solved!

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
well, I still have to pay them, thats the main problem

but yes, got most online, are one or 2 I do manually

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I think Golena hit the nail on the head in the first page.

In all honesty I think it's possibly the best response so far.

All these companies sending out all this junk mail, hardly anybody reads it.

I believe there should be an option to opt-out from getting this crap, I think you'd see a lot more returns over that, the Credit card companies wouldn't be too happy like due to the fact that it'd show them how uninterested people are.

But there you go, mass loss of money to the corporation, this means the government goes "Oh shit, we can't take as much corportate tax off them any more" ergo, we lose.

Oh and if we do forget to put the trash out etc, we get penalised for it.

Personally I don't see why we should be penalised for something we didn't want in the first place, much the same that you can get stung for not having a TV Liscence despite not watching the TV at all.

The really irritating thing is that the Government tells US the general populace that it's OUR responsibility to recycle when compared to most of the corps around the world including the government itself, our relative amount of waste is tiny.

But no, it's easier to challenge the invidual working class family than it is to challenge a multinational corporation.

It's a fucking farce.

So I guess i'm with the "it's not my problem" crew.

The government wants us to go green?

To quote eric clapton:

Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
First part: Any time goverment forces some sort of behavior on us, it's a step closer to police state. Next, it's no drinking soda on streets. Then maybe no eating meat. Then maybe no alcohol.

It's all fine and dandy as long as they don't bother YOU, but just you wait if the government decides "eco stuff is bad" and try to force you out of it, you'd be here saying "what an outrage".

Last part: You're just trying to shift, like i said, the blame. Me recycling, won't save the problems other issues cause. And the problems other have cause to the planet, are NOT mine to fix. Answer what i said, don't twist it around.

I won't personally do anything that will harm the PLANET, like i said, humanity, f*ck off if i care. And the planet, heck, might have made us to MAKE plastic for all we know(to paraphrase george carlin).

yes, i would say that if the government said ECO STUFF BAD MKAY!? that it was an outrage and then you had your chance to come with your argument of why it wasnt and why i was a hypocrit for thinking such.

I did answer last part - it is your problem unless you can look me in the eyes (which you cant, haha) and say that you've never thrown anything out which in anyway could harm the nature - the truck itself isnt your problem unless you make it so (the company who owns the goods will probably have to clean it up or the roadservice). the truck was possibly the worst example you could've chosen.

my biggest concern is that people start yelling about stuff as soon as it inconviences them and their little lazy lifestyle. those are the same people who cant wait for the next green light and races to catch the yellow even tho they are prefectly aware that it will turn red before they make it.
as such i dont really believe in recycling in the big scale (earth wont care) but in the small scale (human lifetime) it is a big deal - pollution in the city, destroying water supplies with consequences we are still unaware of and laying huge areas of land of waste because we cannot be arsed to sort our own garbage, it takes 5 more secs sorting plastic from other stuff - takes 5 more seconds to throw stuff thats organic into the organic bin. it doesnt require rocket science to become less of a petit bourgeois prick

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's ok, everyones right as long as we remember:

world-hug.jpg

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
yes, i would say that if the government said ECO STUFF BAD MKAY!? that it was an outrage and then you had your chance to come with your argument of why it wasnt and why i was a hypocrit for thinking such.

So you're saying, it's only 'cause it's not effecting you, that you're "pro-something".

I did answer last part - it is your problem unless you can look me in the eyes (which you cant, haha) and say that you've never thrown anything out which in anyway could harm the nature - the truck itself isnt your problem unless you make it so (the company who owns the goods will probably have to clean it up or the roadservice). the truck was possibly the worst example you could've chosen.

Nature/Planet. Different thing. Anyway...give me a better example, but the problems of nature caused by other people arn't my problem.

You, probably at this very moment, 'cause more trash to enter the world then me as i spend almost nothing.

Not to mention that i take out one bag of stuff every two/three weeks. How often do YOU throw a plastic bag out?

my biggest concern is that people start yelling about stuff as soon as it inconviences them and their little lazy lifestyle. those are the same people who cant wait for the next green light and races to catch the yellow even tho they are prefectly aware that it will turn red before they make it.
as such i dont really believe in recycling in the big scale (earth wont care) but in the small scale (human lifetime) it is a big deal - pollution in the city, destroying water supplies with consequences we are still unaware of and laying huge areas of land of waste because we cannot be arsed to sort our own garbage, it takes 5 more secs sorting plastic from other stuff - takes 5 more seconds to throw stuff thats organic into the organic bin. it doesnt require rocket science to become less of a petit bourgeois pric

People start yelling about stuff, when someone else tries to change their lifestyle, be it whatever the f*ck they want. You would too, so don't be such a hypocritical "pric", as you call me(meaning the pric part).

So if i don't care about this human lifetime, as it won't effect my life, then why should i do anything about it?

tris-

why should it only be down to the individual anyway. most of my waste stuff is from the twats who post stuff through my door. why dont they just not post it, because as soon i see it i throw it in the bin, i dont even look. does anyone look? i would hope not, the sad fucks.

Gamah

Banned
why should it only be down to the individual anyway. most of my waste stuff is from the twats who post stuff through my door. why dont they just not post it, because as soon i see it i throw it in the bin, i dont even look. does anyone look? i would hope not, the sad fucks.

As soon as I see it it goes in my paper recycling bin...see the difference?

tris-

ok, but i dont have a recycling bin, the council hasnt provided me one. why should i go out of my way to collect all the paper, store it then trek to a recycling area? why cant they just not put shit through the letter box.
its creating carbon getting it to my house, its wasting paper, then if i goto recycle its creating carbon again.
they could just not make the leaflets. that would mean none of the associated carbon is produced.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
ok, but i dont have a recycling bin, the council hasnt provided me one. why should i go out of my way to collect all the paper, store it then trek to a recycling area? why cant they just not put shit through the letter box.
its creating carbon getting it to my house, its wasting paper, then if i goto recycle its creating carbon again.
they could just not make the leaflets. that would mean none of the associated carbon is produced.

Because it's your responsibility, your CALLING as a human and you should do it for the children of africa who die because you don't.

Still would like to know how often the "eco" people here take out their trash, do they pack milk cartons inside milk cartons to save space, do they use huge garbage bags and take out fairly rarely, instead of smaller ones often and if they store their paper around and then take out a lot of it at once before pickup day to avoid filling the paper bin. Also what hair products, creams etc they use, i for one only use shampoo to wash my whole self. Etc etc etc.

Easy to be judgemental in one area.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Exactly.

And I was watching "Dumped" on Channel 4, found out that different companies manufacture the plastic for bottles in different ways to each other. This makes it harder to recycle!

So average people throw it all the garbage expecting it to be recycled, when it just ends up in landfillbecause noone gives a toss

Sorry, but you have been misled, thats not the reason.

Plastic bottles are difficult to recycle because most have 3-4 different types of plastic in them (bottle, cap, label and often an interior layer) and there is currently no financial driver to make it worthwhile (landfill tax will eventually, but not yet). Unless you have a plastic recycling facility on your doorstep, it's a waste of time, money and more detremental to the environment than landfill due to haulage impacts for lightweight material.

Here's a fact, in the UK most "recycling" winds up in landfills because the council wont ship it xyz miles to a reprocessing facility. Councils who boast 50-60% recycling rates are blowing smoke.

The best option for all putrescible/household waste is landfill, pure and simple. Modern landfills are highly engineered, they restore unsightly dangerous quarry/mineral extraction holes in the ground to their former landscape. Landfill is not just a diposal operation, degradation in the void produces methane which is contained within the site and extracted to be combusted to produce green energy. They pose no environmental risk if managed properly.

Waste in the UK increases by 4-5% per year, fact.

Recycling cannot cope, there simply isnt 10% of the necessary capacity or technology available in an operating site. It's a token gesture, as has been said, you want to tackle waste? Tackle production, packaging, lifestyle, throwaway society etc.

Incineration and landfill are currently the ONLY practical options. The real future is incineration, such technology as fluidised bed reactors are excellent and can cope with the volume that currently only a landfill can deal with but to my knowledge there is only one operational facility in the UK at present (Allington) and thats spanking new.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

Put a sign on your door saying "No flyers or free shit please", believe it or not it sometimes works. My neighbour made a humerous sign saying "I have a socially maladjusted Doberman, he hates the taste of free literature, but loves the taste of delivery boys, you have been warned!" but i think he was told to take it down by the council, either way it's been removed :)

Personally i am saving it all up for a visit to the publishers, when i'll dump 1 years worth of flyers and pointless mail crap in their lobby. I'm guessing it's about 1/2 a tonne or junk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom