[QUESTION] Recruit a friend?

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
Saw that on the american site that the recruit a friend has been enabled. Any ETA on Eu for that?

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
We've got a trial offer coming up and there's some other deals in the line, too. We may see an equivalent of the US recruit-a-friend program further ahead but I can't confirm that for now.

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
yeah I read that in a post earlier about the trial, but an ETA would be nice, before march? or sometimes next christmas? :p Got a couple of pals that wants to try it first :p

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
Uhm, just out of interest, what's the hold-up?

Warhammer, on the whole, is a good game but it doesn't sell itself. MMOs are launched on hype and the gushings of open beta players, but they're maintained by word of mouth and free trials.

I'm generally enjoying the game, so I'm fairly positive about the game to my friends in the interests of getting them in to it. Of course, they've heard bad stuff about WAR too, so they're not prepared to shell out full box price to try the game.

I'd love to be able to offer my friends a 14 day trial, or whatever, because I'm sure they'd sign up. Sadly I have to tell them I can't because I bought an EU account managed by GOA, not a US one managed by Mythic. I'd love to be able to tell them why this is.

I have my theories, of course, involving contracts, red tape, incompetent web programmers, space aliens and government mind control rays, but I'm sure the truth is out there.

What's the deal, guys? If you told us, would you have to kill us? Should I be covering my computer in tin-foil? What gives?

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
yeah I mean I don't care if I get an extra week playtime if my friend sign up but I want to get them at least a try at the game and if they like it suddenly I have more people to play with. I know that I'm not the only one that feels like this, maybe except the free week thingy ^^

pikeh

Resident Freddy

Warhammer, on the whole, is a good game but it doesn't sell itself. MMOs are launched on hype and the gushings of open beta players, but they're maintained by word of mouth and free trials.

Free trials generally happen about a year after release (correct me if I'm wrong anyone), so I think that its odd a trial has been planned this soon. Hopefully it will attract more players.

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
Free trials generally happen about a year after release (correct me if I'm wrong anyone), so I think that its odd a trial has been planned this soon. Hopefully it will attract more players.

yeah it usually do but then again the us players have a reqruit a friend deal on their site so why shouldn't we have the same deal or at least trial accounts? That's the aggrivating bit of it that they always get the better service than we, no offence MagnusK... :drink:

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh I couldn't give a foetid pair of monkey nads whether there was a free week in it for me. I just want to get my mates into the game.

MagnusGOA

The trick is that we want lots of new players to be able to access the game for free while simultaniously making it nigh impossible for gold sellers and to abuse this offer. The solution is a light version of the WAR client for testers only. This client will have some limitations, all in place to prevent these accounts from being abused.

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
The trick is that we want lots of new players to be able to access the game for free while simultaniously making it nigh impossible for gold sellers and to abuse this offer. The solution is a light version of the WAR client for testers only. This client will have some limitations, all in place to prevent these accounts from being abused.

Add something that if you report a goldseller and that account is a trial then autoban the account imediatly... that combined with trial-invites from a person that already has an account should limit the goldsellers quite a lot, say one invite a month or something like that. Sure goldsellers can have an account and then invite them self and try to sell but if people continue to report them then the trial-invite goldselling accounts would vanish quite fast. Not much in implementation to be done more than checking if it's a trial account and then remove it. Or just block it until someone complains in case of miss useage.

Jalanteriel

Regular Freddie
Why not just disable in game mail as well as limiting trading items (eg they can only receive items from other players and not the other way round) between characters. I vaguely remember playing a game with such a limitation in the trial, though can't recall which it was. It'd pretty much lock out those gold sellers

MagnusGOA

Why not just disable in game mail as well as limiting trading items (eg they can only receive items from other players and not the other way round) between characters. I vaguely remember playing a game with such a limitation in the trial, though can't recall which it was. It'd pretty much lock out those gold sellers
These are exactly the kind of restrictions we'll be seeing :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
These are exactly the kind of restrictions we'll be seeing :)

I think all trial accounts should have an extra box at login.

Username
Password
Pi

If you cannot enter pi to a million places, you cannot log in.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock

if memory serves, the WoW (/spit) trial accounts were unable to send/receive post? which helped for spamming, PMing.. thats another matter tho. limit it to friends list or something, so if a mate plays, find him on msn etc to sort out server, get toon name, friend him.. done ?

/edit
oh and i dont think the trial accounts could use Trade either

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I think all trial accounts should have an extra box at login.

Username
Password
Pi

If you cannot enter pi to a million places, you cannot log in.

Haha :)

That'll surely filter out the riff raff.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
On WoW I dont think they could speak in region chats so it'd be /1 in warhammers case?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I'd happily take gold spamming if it got some more people in the game, hate to say this but this is the same old delayed shite that GOA/Mythic pulled with DAOC and look at the state of that. Dragging their feet so much that people lost interest by the time the free offers came in.

Get people in game now, not in a months time, not in 6 months time, Don't mess about just do it or you'll piss away a perfectly decent game, again.

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
I'd happily take gold spamming if it got some more people in the game, hate to say this but this is the same old delayed shite that GOA/Mythic pulled with DAOC and look at the state of that. Dragging their feet so much that people lost interest by the time the free offers came in.

Get people in game now, not in a months time, not in 6 months time, Don't mess about just do it or you'll piss away a perfectly decent game, again.
:iagree:

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah I don't really care about a free month or gold spammers too much (although obviously I would rather have a free month than not have one), what I do care about is my friends who are half interested in playing this game actually getting a chance to play it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Hats off for that, its one thing that plagues WoW, its something I wish they would do there :)

People who don't experience it won't understand it. Whenever you enter a main city the trade channel is spammed constantly with "hello friend? We make sell gold easy" etc etc its a massive pain in the arse. Then you have them spamming the in game mail system and even whispering you "hey mate, are you there?" you answer "yeah, whats up?" boom spamville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom