recovering e-mails from another harddrive

Yaka

Part of the furniture
well this week is defo not my week, now one of me old hard drives which had win2k installed refuses to boot (tried repaing vai win2k install) and i urgently need to acses a couple of emails on that hard drive. i have it installed as a slave drive at the moment but am clueless as how i can transfer the e-mails to winxp.

HELP!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
from outlook?

Gray

FH is my second home
im having the same kinda trouble at the moment... More, WinXP to a Reinstall.

I used Outlook 2002, i copied all the .dbx files from the old XP (Located: "C:\Documents and Settings\A Gray\Application Data\Identities\{Hex}\Microsoft\Outlook"

On the new reinstall, that hasnt got the option, so therefor i have nowhere to put the .dbx files (Inbox, custom folders, emails etc). Which is a pisser because i remember doing it that way last time.

Dont know the directories you should be looking at on Win2k, as it all changed i think in XP, but thats where you SHOULD have all the emails stored..

Gray

FH is my second home
Oh... ok.... fixed it from my end, i had to use Outlook Express, and there was ANOTHER hidden folder which had all the stuff in. I copied and pasted the .dbx files, and then imported into Outlook2002...

Whoo

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ah thanks for info Gray shall have to leave it till mourning now, totaly stressed out atm:/

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
If it's outlook express you're using then yes, it's as simple as moving the DBX files across to the new profile folder - make sure you set up outlook express on the new machine first and copy the old files over the new ones it creates - and don't do a move either, COPY them so you have a backup ;)

If it's Outlook you're using however you're likely to need a little software tool to convert the OST into a PST to be re-imported. Let us know if this is the case.

Xav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom