Help Recommend me some lenses photonerds!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
404, and I've got a decent-ish zoom now so looking for tripod+head + wide angle. ;)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm amazed at the forum nerdiness keeeping this thread going ! :(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

Wazz, what are you wanting to use your wideangle for? Is it generally walk-around photography with the ability to go wide angle? Or is it a wide angle lens specifically for more landscape photography?

I ask because those Sigma zooms are probably very good lenses, however they will suffer quite heavily from barrel distortion at the 18mm range. If you're wanting a lens that is corrected for barrel distortions at wide angle and suitable for landscapes, I would recommend something like (with budget in mind):

Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II LD AF SP Aspherical (IF) - Canon Fit () - Warehouse Express

or:

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens - Canon Fit (201927) - Warehouse Express

or if you don't need the flexibility of the zoom and are happy with a prime wide angle, something like:

Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM USED - Park Cameras Online - this comes in at £220 second hand and has minimal barrel distortion, but you're sacrificing the flexibility.

On the tripod front, I have:

Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod (MN055XPROB) - Warehouse Express

with:

Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head (MN322RC2) - Warehouse Express

That tripod is very popular. It's very rugged; mine has been in the sea, in sand, in snow and ice, and to France and back. It's taken all sorts of abuse and hasn't let me down yet, it's built like a tank. However, it is quite heavy and not exactly compact - so if you're looking for small, light and compact; look elsewhere. The ball head is just tremendous with that joystick grip - it gives you quick and very accurate precision of camera placement without having to fiddle with slackening off knobs. All you need to do is squeeze the trigger and move it; once you're happy with the position then just let go :).

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Wazz, what are you wanting to use your wideangle for? Is it generally walk-around photography with the ability to go wide angle? Or is it a wide angle lens specifically for more landscape photography?

More wide angle specific, not too fussed about it being zoomed or not, just can't find anything decent that's fixed and affordable.

Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II LD AF SP Aspherical (IF) - Canon Fit () - Warehouse Express

or:

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens - Canon Fit (201927) - Warehouse Express

or if you don't need the flexibility of the zoom and are happy with a prime wide angle, something like:

Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM USED - Park Cameras Online - this comes in at £220 second hand and has minimal barrel distortion, but you're sacrificing the flexibility.

The first two lenses are too expensive, the last one doesn't exist anymore, looks like someone's bought it. I can't do £400 on one lens, thought I'd stated that a few times already. :( Cheers though, I do appreciate the time it may take to provide recommendations.

On the tripod front, I have:

Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod (MN055XPROB) - Warehouse Express

with:

Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head (MN322RC2) - Warehouse Express

That tripod is very popular. It's very rugged; mine has been in the sea, in sand, in snow and ice, and to France and back. It's taken all sorts of abuse and hasn't let me down yet, it's built like a tank. However, it is quite heavy and not exactly compact - so if you're looking for small, light and compact; look elsewhere. The ball head is just tremendous with that joystick grip - it gives you quick and very accurate precision of camera placement without having to fiddle with slackening off knobs. All you need to do is squeeze the trigger and move it; once you're happy with the position then just let go :).

I'd be using the tripod fairly infrequently, so there's no way I can justify a head as expensive as the tripod. I'm looking at spending a little over £100 (as you can't get anything quality for less), as opposed to spending a little over £200. The amazon link I posted above for tripod is about as high as I can go, price-wise.

old.user4556

Have you looked at electronic bay for the Canon EF 20mm? There is a Buy It Now £250 going:

Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM on eBay (end time 04-Jun-10 20:38:13 BST)

Perhaps slightly more than I would pay personally, but it's an option?

The Tamron and Sigma ultra wide angle zooms are popular lenses and tend to hold most of their money second hand, so I am out of ideas unless someone spots a used bargain on a website.

The benefit of the Canon 20mm EF over those Sigma and Tamron lenses is that the image circle of the Canon 20mm will cover a full 35mm frame, so it will be compatible if you ever decide to upgrade your body to a full-frame Canon down the line (thinking a used 5D or 5D Mk2 which are full-frame sensors), so it does give you some room for future proofing.

My own personal feeling of the Canon EF 20mm is that it's not quite wide enough for me (I regularly use the focal length of 10mm to 15mm on my Sigma 10-20mm).

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Might have put in a cheeky maximum bid, will see how it goes. Cheers :D

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Will probably go for that tripod link I posted above, looks like there's another seller that's even cheaper.

Any recommendations for CF cards? Looking for 8-16GB, or anything around £20-40.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I've never had a really expensive CF card, and I've never had any issues with the ones I have had in terms of lost images (that's many thousands over the last 5 or 6 years and I've only ever had 3 or 4 that have been unreadable by the PC, and that is as likely a camera problem as a card one).

What you get from an expensive card is quicker write times and that is only really useful if you are taking the camera limit of frames per second. If you are only ever taking single shots then don't pay silly money for a high speed card.

I think Kingston make good value cards and would go with them, though I might be tempted to get say 4 x 4Gb cards than 1 x 16Gb. They don't take up much space and if you do get a problem with the card then you've lost 1/4 of your images not all of them.

RB

milou

Part of the furniture
I have the 8gb x 100 - no buffer problems with the 5D Mk II writing 20mb RAW files to it. Would need something faster I guess for the HD vid function. For the reasons RB mentions, I would steer clear of the massive capacity cards.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Ordered the Manfrotto 055XDB with 128RC Head @ £106 inc. delivery from an amazon seller. \o/

Ebay still has a few days on the 20mm left.... will see.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Annoyed. The amazon seller has cancelled the order and delisted the item.

Fucker :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Ordered the 055XDB w/804RC2 @ £105 the other day, should get it early next week.

Missed out on that ebay lens you posted Big G, went for around the buy it now price in the end. Am watching another one now, hopefully this one can be got.

The CF card arrived too. I want all my stuff so I can try it out at the same time! Grr :D

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Getting really annoyed with this ebay shit now, another 20mm lens went above a price I would pay for, this one went for £280!

Really struggling to get this lens at a decent price, if anyone knows of any other places that do second hand stuff etc then I'd welcome the suggestions. Ebay is just weeks of waiting and then not getting what you need, I fucking hate it.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Scrap that last whine, that Parkcameras that did have one at £220 must have got another in at the same price, so I'm ordered and should be good to go.

I shall update when I've tested all my new goodies.

Thanks again for the help people.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Turns out they were LYING and didn't have the lens at all, fucking pricks. I've wasted so much time trying to get this lens now I'm so hacked off.

old.user4556

Most photography resellers lie about their stock levels - I've made that mistake myself even with Warehouse Express who have supposed stock information on their website. When I got shafted by Simply Electronics, they also had "in stock" on their site when it was out of stock all along. I always phone first now.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Tripod and lens came (well, I went and got it - bloody Parcelfarce) and I'm very impressed. Very light, very solid and very tall (it extends well beyond the height I think they claim for it, over 6ft and my height anyway) and easy to use. The head is excellent, really chuffed with it.

Still after a wide angle lens though. Keep losing ebay auctions for them. :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Finally got that ef 20mm f/2.8 through ebay.

Also getting a new battery and an infrared filter, going away soon (may see a new thread from me about this regarding places to see/shoot) so will try out all this spangly new gear then.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I have to say the Manfrotto tripod and head is easily one of the best purchases I have made in my life. The thing's bloody amazing, it's so easy and light to use it's obscene. Literally had no trouble hiking everywhere with it, without a case/bag. The only gripe is the head isn't quite as smooth at very minute adjustments, and can't point fully up but other than that I'm chuffed.

Didn't use the zoom much but did for a couple of shots.

Used the wide angle a lot and I was pretty impressed with it.

When using my IR filter I totally forgot to cover the eyepiece, so I've fubarred my first attempts. :D

Weather and light was shit all week but I'll try and repair some shots as much as I can. :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
aye, I had a Manfrotto too, back in my skool daze. mine weighed a tonne though o0

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Can't be more than about 2.5-3kg with the head. *strokes*

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can't be more than about 2.5-3kg with the head. *strokes*
FFS! Can't this thread just die????

Wazzer stroking his head is disturbing me :(

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Going off on a slight tangent, I've got a Nikon D60 that I want to start using more, currently only got the 18-55 kit lens that comes in the box.

I've read a couple of reviews of Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6G VR AF-S DX IF-ED and seems to be decent lens for the price, any opinion?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Going off on a slight tangent, I've got a Nikon D60 that I want to start using more, currently only got the 18-55 kit lens that comes in the box.

I've read a couple of reviews of Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6G VR AF-S DX IF-ED and seems to be decent lens for the price, any opinion?

Depends what you want to use it for. Its a very good lens for that price though. I've got the 70-300 lens and I have to say its brilliant; image stabilisation is ace (I've taken rock steady wildlife shots off the top of a moving truck with no difficulty at all), but its way more expensive than the 55-200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom