Recommend me a new mobo.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

Found out today that I have a faulty DIMM socket on my mobo - but only after I had bought another 1*512 MB sticks of RAM which I can now no longer use.

So, I may be looking for a new mobo. What I have at the moment is

MSI Neo 2 Platinum mobo
AMD 3500+ processor
FX5950 GFX Card (AGP)
2 * 512 MB PC3700 Memory.
Tagan 480W PSU (with PCI connections)
2 * 350 GB SATA HDD
1 * 160 GB IDE HDD

Would like to continue to use most (if not all of the above). I may have the option of either a 7800GT PCI-E (with additional Zalman cooler) or a X800XTPE[AGP] come November, so my options are open.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
If you can find an ASUS A8V they are very good mobos and AGP too, I have one myself its very good.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Moriath said:
Asus AN8-SLI Deluxe -- would need a pci-e gfx card tho

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=346

I have this one. It's great!

but!

look out of you're running a dual core CPU, ie an X2. There is an issue where the built-in networking interfaces stop functioning under high load. They just stop. If you go into your network configuration panel, and disable/enable the interface(s) they start working again. It has something to do with how the NIC's internal counters sync with the counters in the dual core CPU. There are some MS service documents that describe registry tweaks to fix this, and AMD have a X2 cpu driver that you can install which basically just syncs the clocks in each logical core every so often.

As of yesterday I've installed the driver but not done the registry tweaks and the nics are still failing under load :/

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
That is a pci-e mobo isnt it? You have an AGP card you said :confused:

I also said :
god said:
Would like to continue to use most (if not all of the above). I may have the option of either a 7800GT PCI-E (with additional Zalman cooler) or a X800XTPE[AGP] come November, so my options are open.

Latest update is that I AM getting the 7800 (hopefully this week)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom