Recommend a sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Summo

Ignoring the Hardware Forum, can any of you recommend a sound card that doesn't cause the sort of drop in frame-rates that we've seen littering this forum?

I currently have a Creative SoundBlaster 512 PCI (bog standard stuff). If I disable all sounds then the game is as smooth as a nut. If I enable sound hardware acceleration the game becomes unplayable when there's battles on the screen. If I disable hardware acceleration then I get constant white noise, and drop in FPS (though to a lesser extent) even when all sound detail is set as low as can be.

I have the latest drivers and rather than wait for a patch from EA that may never come, I thought I'd see about getting a new card.

So... what would you guys recommend? My PC is linked up to my hi-fi so I'm not bothered about fancy surround-sound stuff, or a bucket of features. I just want a card that plays sounds and doesn't crap up my game. :/

M

Moving Target

Soundblaster AWE 32.

Best. Soundcard. Evar.

D

Deathwatch

I am not having any troubles with my SB Live! Value - using the latest Creative liveware drivers for win2k. But not everybody has that same experience with that card.

Perhaps try part of the tweaks giving for sounds that are listed in other threads?

L

lojik

ok i have had no trouble running BF on any of the following cards:

SB Audigy Player (retail)
SB Live (OEM)
Videologic Sonicfury
Videologic Sonic Vortex 2

All the above were installed into various Intel platforms.. not tested any with AMD

C

.Cask

standardx.htm

S

Summo

Hmm... mixed reports. Think I'll stick with this card for now. Lots of mentions of SoundBlasters working without a problem so there doesn't seem logival to buy a replacement just yet. Thanks, guys.

S

S-Gray

I dont have any Problems with my SB Live 5.1,

T

tris-

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
I dont have any Problems with my SB Live 5.1,
]

me neither, but everytime i mention a soundblaster => :flame:

T

tris-

Originally posted by Summo
Hmm... SB Live, eh? Maybe...

its not bad for 30 quid + you get your EAX for games that can handle it and a digi out incase you get a 5.1 amp. even if you dont use the fancy stuff, for 30 quid your not goin wrong at all.

S

Son of Ralph

I just ordered a SB Audigy from Aria.

Its the OEM version but it only cost me £61 inc delivery :)

T

tris-

Originally posted by Son of Ralph
I just ordered a SB Audigy from Aria.

Its the OEM version but it only cost me £61 inc delivery :)

good luck with gettin it workin ;)

P

PR.

I've never had a problem with the Audigy, I had all kinds of problems with the Live.

Go for an Audigy is my recommendation, and as we are fellow clan members I expect you to take my advice! :eek:

S

Summo

No longer needed!

Hoo-fucking-rah! FPS problem finally sorted! All thanks to the official SB drivers and the following sound settings:

Hardware Acceleration: Off
Channels: 36
Quality: High
Other Hertz thingy: 22 (not 44)

w00t!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom