Really Random Internet Problems....

Velveteen

Fledgling Freddie
Ok first some background....

I have two machines, let us name them Alpha and Beta.....

Alpha connects to the internet (BT is my ISP) and supplies the connection to the internet via a hub to Beta. The two computers are networked together in order to do this.

Anywho, after about 10minutes of Alpha connecting to the net, the net.... *stops* working, and when I say stops, I mean, it cannot access any services, for instance, if I am already logged into DAoC I stay logged in and nothing is different, if I am on MSN I stay logged in but I cannot send messages, and I cannot access ANY website.

However, Beta remains able to access any internet application and service I wish it to the whole time, so this rules out the possibility of a problem with the ISP.

It cannot be to do with any program or virus/spyware on here, as I just re-formated Alpha and have only DAoC on it at the moment. However the problem wasn't always this way, once I very first formatted it, the problem only seemed to start occuring when SP2 was installed onto the machine. Maybe this is a Coincidence? maybe not!

I cannot work this out, its been like this for a few days and I am really really contemplating just shooting the comp.

Any help on this would be really really really appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
when alpha stops working try pinging beta and something external to your network like your isp's dns servers. Then ofc post results.

also can you confirm that you have 2 network cards in alpha? 1 connected to your isp and 1 to your hub? (the isp connection may not be a network card but a network device like adsl modem or USB port)

also if the above set up is the case what software are you using to manage the connections? ICS or Other?

Velveteen

Fledgling Freddie
Mojo said:
when alpha stops working try pinging beta and something external to your network like your isp's dns servers. Then ofc post results.

also can you confirm that you have 2 network cards in alpha? 1 connected to your isp and 1 to your hub? (the isp connection may not be a network card but a network device like adsl modem or USB port)

also if the above set up is the case what software are you using to manage the connections? ICS or Other?

Yes I use 2 network cards, 1 is an ADSL modem and the other network card is built into the motherboard which connects to the hub.

With regards to the connections, I don't understand what you mean.... ICS?

And results from the ping are as follows: Request timed out when binging beta from alpha and....

and when I ping my ISP server address i get : a decent reply, 0%loss 4sent4 recieved with an average of 20ms

hope this narrows down the problem=)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
ICS is internet connection sharing, which is microsofts basic routing (NAT/DHCP) software which allows you to set up your home network. If you used the home netwrok wizard then you would be using ICS. You might have used different software for this task but would know about it cos u would have had to have installed and configured it.

It sounds to me like your onboard NIC might be failing but im a tad confused because you said in your first post that Alpha (your main pc and router) would stop responding but Beta would remain connected and in your seccond post the fact tha Alpha was pinging (the web and not Beta) That kinda suggests that it doesnt have a problem and that the problem lies with either the onboard NIC in Alpha onward so either that card, the hub (inc cables) or the NIC in beta.

hope that made sense

Velveteen

Fledgling Freddie
yeh it makes sense mate, but I don't think the cables or the hub are the problem....

if they were the problem then surely the net wouldn't work on both machines?

however, I believe the pingnever responded because for some reason ever since these computers have been networked they can't access one and other, i believe this has something to do with that problem.....

I used the network wizard to network them up.....

I was thinking about waking a new MB in here anyways, you think that its the network card before i go fork out for a new mb and nic?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Velveteen said:
yeh it makes sense mate, but I don't think the cables or the hub are the problem....

if they were the problem then surely the net wouldn't work on both machines?

however, I believe the pingnever responded because for some reason ever since these computers have been networked they can't access one and other, i believe this has something to do with that problem.....

I used the network wizard to network them up.....

I was thinking about waking a new MB in here anyways, you think that its the network card before i go fork out for a new mb and nic?

ok i think your problem is windows firewall which was installed by default when you installed sp2

and your 1 machine would work because it connects to the internet thru adsl modem not your hub, the hub wud just affect connectivity to your other pc.( but i agree this isnt the fualt anyhow) but as your using wizards and stuff i suspect you have fallen foul of windows new security defaults as you would not have done this manually.

if you go into control panel there will be a windows firewall icon make sure its turned off, but be aware that your internet facing pc (Alpha) may be prone so you need to do some manual configs so your network has access but not the rest of the world.

kinda in a rush so i hope u understand this

FRIDAYS RULE!! :>

Velveteen

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Mojo, but I have tried this....

its not the firewall. I don't know whatto do beyond this point. I could format it again I guess <shrug>

:puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom