Real Newbie Questions

carl

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, so I downloaded the game at the weekend and am slowly getting to grips with it. Obviously the game is pretty old, so there is a huge amount of info available - an overwhelming amount in fact..

I have some questions, which are probably answered by telling me the right website to check or the right page in the manual. I've so far plodded to level 8 (woo...) and the game is looking pretty good so far.

1) I'm in the usual new game rut where I can sit and xp on a few mobs and do a few quests, but whenever I go explore somewhere new, I die immediatly. What's the right progression for DOAC, what level does a noob like me need before they can manage a little exploration?

2) Realm points - I opted for blademaster and the trainer shows me a nice list of skills needing realm points - what/where/how?

3) Item info - is there a lore type skill that will tell me what items do, or a command I have missed? Already collecting some things I don't understand, and at the moment I'm working out effects by equipping/unequipping and seeing what messages come up...

4) Healing - what items heal in combat? I found some food and drink items which I hoped would, but see no way to use them.

5) Radar - is there one? Or is spotting nearby mobs reliant on just looking for them?

That's it for now.

Thanks.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
carl said:
1) I'm in the usual new game rut where I can sit and xp on a few mobs and do a few quests, but whenever I go explore somewhere new, I die immediatly. What's the right progression for DOAC, what level does a noob like me need before they can manage a little exploration?

2) Realm points - I opted for blademaster and the trainer shows me a nice list of skills needing realm points - what/where/how?

3) Item info - is there a lore type skill that will tell me what items do, or a command I have missed? Already collecting some things I don't understand, and at the moment I'm working out effects by equipping/unequipping and seeing what messages come up...

4) Healing - what items heal in combat? I found some food and drink items which I hoped would, but see no way to use them.

5) Radar - is there one? Or is spotting nearby mobs reliant on just looking for them?

1. Death in daoc is fairly minor - especially at the low levels - you don't lose kit, just a bit of cash from your constitution and a bit of xp (if you're level 5 or below you lose absolutely nothing). So go exploring :)
Use the con of the mobs as a guide - the area around the starting town is usually quite safe with the monsters getting harder and harder as you go further away. Click on monsters before you go near them to check if they're aggressive and whether they're grey---, green--, blue-, yellow, orange+, red++ or purple+++ con - anything blue or below you can probably handle (though a few at once will hurt) - yellows and above can be tricky.

2. Realm points you get for defending the realm (killing other players from enemy realms usually). You can visit the battlegrounds (talk to the portal merchant in the grove of domnann or in tir na nOg) though the lower level ones are usually very quiet - levels 20-24 (thidranki) is probably the most popular battleground though so once you get to level 20 you can try that out and get some realm points. At higher levels you can go into the frontier and help defend keeps/take relics etc.

3. right click an item then press Shift-i (there might be an info button somewhere but shift-i should be bound to "more info" - if you type /keyboard you can see a list of everything that's bound to a key)

4. The only healing in combat is from spells, magical item charges and healing potions (which you won't be able to use till higher levels). So, find a druid/warden/bard to group with or just be careful what you fight - if you sit between fights you'll regain hp and endurance faster.

5. You have to rely on your eyes for spotting the monsters I'm afraid :) however your location will show on the /map.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
carl said:
Ok, so I downloaded the game at the weekend and am slowly getting to grips with it. Obviously the game is pretty old, so there is a huge amount of info available - an overwhelming amount in fact..

I have some questions, which are probably answered by telling me the right website to check or the right page in the manual. I've so far plodded to level 8 (woo...) and the game is looking pretty good so far.

That's it for now.

Thanks.

1) imagine you have a circle, the start point is level 1 and the edges are lvl 50, its not as black and white as that but the further you go the higher the level of the mobs. if you type /map you can see little dark cave entrances, usually if you hover around those areas you can see if the mobs are yellow which = your lvl...ideal to fight. The dungeons will also contain those con mobs.

2)realm points are earned from RVR or combat against other players, each kill gives a number of RP's (Realm Points) and when you get a certain amount you get a Realm Skill Point to spec, you wont get this sort of thing untill nearer lvl 20 where you can goto the battle grounds. (you can goto previous lower level battlegrounds but not alot of people are here and you need to learn the basics before you go "poon them noobs")

3) most people will say Shift+I which is correct, however if you have not changed your keyboard setup it may just be I. I would suggest you goto your screen which lets you login your chars and choose options, in there is keyboard (or type /keyboard when ingame) and look for the Information option, Shift+I is kinda easy to have it set as.

4) those items dont heal you, its not like wow im afraid :( you can speed up your regen by sitting down (normally X on the keyboard) you use Endurance for doing styles and at level 15 (i think) you get tireless which is a form of natural end regen

5) yeah have to just have a keen eye hehe, if you use /map you can find your way to places easier but its a little vague on description (you can download user interfaces with names of places plus the level's etc, can come to that another time)

Hope this help's, good luck

Bahumat

Agent Davidov

Fledgling Freddie
In a hurry so please excuse the short responses...

1 - There are areas for all levels to go Hunting. Post your current level and you'll get advice on where to hunt (or go to the task dungeons.) The areas that quests send you are usually good hunting grounds

2 - Realm points are earned by beating up on other realms in Battlegrounds or New Frontiers.

3 - you can "delve" an items abilities by right-clicking then pressing shift-I (the actual key may be different depending on your keyboard sttings.)

4 - best bet is to group with a Druid, Bard, Warden or Mentalist. Healing potions are available in housing or you can make your own (eventually) by developing alchemy skills. Don't forget to sit as well ;-)

5 - No radar in DAoC. usage of 3rd party radar programs will get you banned.

some useful links...
Dark Age of Camelot at Allakhazam.com
Classes of Camelot
Dark Age of Camelot - Character Builder 2.0

Aran Thule

Fledgling Freddie
<grins> i think the above answered your questions.

Just wanted to say that if you go to www.critshot.com there are lots of links to various sites that will have info that can help you.
Also if your training working your way through catacombs can be very rewarding as the have lots of mini quests for your level which will show you places to travel to and you might find nice hunting areas.

As a fighter you could use a support class (bard, warden, druid) to hunt with, they can enhance you and heal and often have other useful abilities to help.
lets say for example your level 15.
try doing a /who 12 18 this will give you a list of the characters between theese levels.

Hope this helps

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Heres my tip (cant beleive even Flim didnt mention this!), type /advice, hoepfully you will find a list of nice people you can talk to in game for live advice.

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Just another tip: if you need a great site for checking how you should use your training specialization points every time you ding: daoc.catacombs.com, look in the Tools menu on the left for "Character Builder 2". I use it all the time, you can even register there for free and save your character templates if you want. A tip on how to use the char builder: remember to type in your level (or type in lvl 50 if you want to look at your end spec possibilities).

That char builder also contains a list of when you get certain abilities, for instance when you get to wear what type of armour, etc. You can learn a lot about the game and all its classes from that char builder, check which classes get what spells, etc, use it! :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
old.Whoodoo said:
Heres my tip (cant beleive even Flim didnt mention this!), type /advice, hoepfully you will find a list of nice people you can talk to in game for live advice.

main problem with /advice is you can only see people in the same "world" - so if the advisors are all in new frontiers or in ToA you won't see them :(

however it's worth checking.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
also you can do a /who 100 if anybody is listed then just /send them a pm and ask where you can get the radar user interface from, so you can see other players better.

enjoy the game, if you see me on line then give me a Pm will give you some equipment and some cash.

:m00:

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Wellcome to the game!

1) at your current lvl id advice you to stay near the starting town. you could allso go to Muire Tomb, what is in Lough Derg(spelling :p) zone. youse command /map too find it. its very close to your starting zone. at the start of the dungeon should be monsters suitable to your level.

2) realm points can be attained from RvR (real vs realm). at lvl 20 you can go to the battlegrounds for lvl 20-24 ppl. theres usually ppl around there so you can get your firts rvr experiance there (i remember the first time i went there... was pure adrenaline). at lvl 20 your get the real rank of 1 level 1. that gives you 1 realm skill point to spend. you get a point at evry realm level. allso the more realm ranks and lvls you gain the greather the realmpoint need grows... so at higher lvls you need alot of RP toget a new level.

3) all classes can wear cloth... but its only usefull to wear cloth as a mage. you should be able to wear leather and even reinforced armor. in hebernia there are 4 diferent armor types. cloth,leather,reinforced and scale armor. all classes can wear cloth, as i said before. cloth wearers are valewalker, bainshee,eldritch,enchanter,mentalist,animist. they can wear eny of the other armor types. next in line is leather. leather wearers are nightshade and vampiir. reinforced can be worn by rangers, baldemasters, bards. scale wearers are hero, champion, druid, warden.
at higher lvls you will start to see diferent stats on items( to see stats on the you have to right click a item. then press Shift + i), and you will find out what stats you need and what u dont the more you progress. as u said us started a blademaster. then your most imortant stast are Stenght, Constitution, Dexterity, Quickness.
Strenght = how much dmg you do.(if you are pierce its 50% strenght and 50% dexterity). constitution = how much HP you have. dexterity = how much you evade,parry,block or in mage case.. how fast u cast.quickness increases your weapon speed. other stats arent usefull to your class.

4) healing is done by healing classes (druid,warden,bard), or you can just sit down and you can rest up your hp. there are allso poitions that u can drink to get HP up, but they are way too expensive for you at the moment. some items have heal procs in them but that comes when your lvl 45 and so on.

5) yes, you have to explore to find the right mobs yourself. useing a 3rd party program (radar etc) WILL get you banned. there will be no warning and so on, becouse in this game its connciderd a very serious offence.

btw if you havent found out yet. monster colors. (i mean name colors). grey = no exp for you allso no loot. Green = very easy to kill, litle exp and lyou still get loot. Blue = as your a new player and still learning i advice to kill that type of monsters. they are harder than greens but still killable. yellow = same level as you. if you are feeling confident that you can kill them, go fo it. give good exp. orange = above your level. i vouldnt advice going against them at lower lvls. you can still winn if your lucky, but it will be very close and you have to rest long to gain HP back. Red = 5 or more levels above you. if you have 1 or to friends whit you, it is very good exp to kill them. purple = very hard.. you need 3 firends atleast to good against those at lover levels

i hope that this helps you abit in this new world :p my characters are in my signature... you can PM me enytime if im ingame. (thats /send <name> or /tell <name> (allso can be shorted /t <name>) and after name one space and type the message. )

good luck and have funn

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
Here are some keys you will be using a lot so you might as well get used to them from the beginning

Nearest enemy
Run lock
/face
/stick

You can change them in-game by using the command /keyboard.

Face and stick can be placed on your quickbar (if you prefer that) by using the commands

/macro face /face
/macro stick /stick

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Heres another great site: http://www.camelotherald.com - here you will find all the slash (/) commands, maps, help and tips for all aspects of the game.For quests, mob listings and much more, use http://camelot.allakhazam.com .Maps are easy to find, and some user interfaces (UI) use more maps than are installed by default, like www.derida.de and MXN's.Use the search on FH too, lots of useful tips here, as well as the most comprehensive list of in game insults and ways to make your enemy cry.As for the advice thing, sorry as flim said its hard to find people, the best way is to port to a frontier and then use /advice, youre more likely to get a response.

carl

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the replies so far.. things are starting to become a little clearer. I'll browse the suggested links later and see what else they reveal.

Two more questions come to mind:

1) What are 'clustered' servers? I've seen the term a few times now, such as prydwen and excalibur being clustered

2) Any vaults or storage areas? Looking for somewhere to hoard my junk when the tiny backpack is full

Thanks again, everyone.

Dorimor1

Banned
carl said:
Thanks for the replies so far.. things are starting to become a little clearer. I'll browse the suggested links later and see what else they reveal.

Two more questions come to mind:

1) What are 'clustered' servers? I've seen the term a few times now, such as prydwen and excalibur being clustered

2) Any vaults or storage areas? Looking for somewhere to hoard my junk when the tiny backpack is full

Thanks again, everyone.

1) A Clustered Server is one big server made out of two or more servers that have been merged together for various reasons, the main one being low population on the old servers. For example, Prydwen and Excalibur were suffering from low population, so they decided to merge the servers. Some zones were merged aswell, for example, the frontiers and the capital cities were merged however some zones remained the same. So for example, there are two Galladoria's (or whatever that is) and two Lyonesse's etc.

2) You can find Vault Keepers in the capital cities and some towns.

Aran Thule

Fledgling Freddie
There are two main english servers that have been clustered.
Excal and prydwen now share capital cities and RvR zones, each server has its own housing and PvE areas but you can travel to other server zones by speaking to a channeler at Main city or housing entrance.

There are various vaultkeepers you can use to store items.
Feel free to use the Willow Tavern (3354 just west of Meath entrance pryd) you can use /houseface 3354 to face it.
We have a vault keeper and bindstone in celler and a healer and teleporter on ground floor.
If you enter the tavern and /bind you can release there by using /release house.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Aran Thule said:
Feel free to use the Willow Tavern (3354 just west of Meath entrance pryd) you can use /houseface 3354 to face it.
We have a vault keeper and bindstone in celler and a healer and teleporter on ground floor.

They also forgot to tell you its where Z and the gang live from Pulp Fiction...you have been warned!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Most stuff you will have at low levels is just loot to sell , if it has a capital letter in front of it, or if when you delve the item (Shift + I) it will tell you if its anything important.
You get a standard vault keeper you can stash stuff in - but at lower levels if its something you don't need - just sell it anyways - there isnt really a market for that kind of stuff if you are thinking of holding onto it to sell later.

Some maps for you (not sure how in-date it all is but should give you a few pointers on mob levels etc for hunting) http://www.kallisti-daoc.com/maps.php
Hopefullt that will help you get around a bit.

Also F1 - help key - handy for things like horse routes etc and basic in-game commands.

Enjoy the game dude !!

~whispers~ but you should have picked Albion - we rule!!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
W E L C O M E to the game m8 !

Have fun playing whatever character you decide to roll.

Remember water pots on ML raids !

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom