Read

B

bigfoot

The Forum Announcement. I know quite a few of you here are BW die-hards so you (like me actually) will probably still be using http://forums.barrysworld.com as your default forum page. From tomorrow you will not be able to.

S

Swift^

tbh that's a really gay, shit idea.

good way to lose established followers of the site, too. pld game, you're winning the battle of losing all your customers... and by a bigger margin every time a new "change" is made.

B

bigfoot

Explain how it is, in your words, "a really gay, shit idea".

You aren't a customer of the Play.Game.Net site in the traditional sense (you apparently don't subscribe or own a Clan Server, nor does Clowneh for that matter - from what I can tell - or a long list of other forum users I could mention) but I'd still be interested to know why you think moving everything under one name is such a bad idea. From doing account / general support on my own for over 18 months I think it would improve things a lot as I often get subscribers or just genreal users who are confused by the BarrysWorld site still existing when most of the new services appear on GAME.NET only.

Perhaps you mean GAME should keep BarrysWorld going, or even focus on that site as their main online effort, because of brand loyalty from veteran games or its position in the scene? This is so wide of the mark it is untrue, there are loads of such people on this forum who don't subscribe and never will, yet have been using the site / these forums for years and years.

J

Jonaldo

Becoming a corporate site takes away some of the feelings that a lot of people felt about Barrysworld being a gaming site run by people that like gaming. Where people could speak their mind about games and openly discuss them and brands and many gaming issues. Under the wing of Game shops it's no longe so personal and everything seems very limited and censored. The financial backing (should the game servers actually get anything from the stores) would no doubt be able to improve the standard of the servers but at the same time the forums have suffered greatly in my opinion, and I've not even been posting that long.

Perhaps the forums should remain a completely seperate entity from the game servers? I don't know, just thinking with my fingers here (I assume this is the typing version of "thinking out loud").

S

SilverHood

dont see why a simple redirect isn't in order? Just forward users to the new URL.

People will update once they get fed up of loggin in all the time (I know I do) :)

C

caLLous

Jonaldo made the sense! Would it hurt to just leave the old domain alone?

C

Cyfr

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Becoming a corporate site takes away some of the feelings that a lot of people felt about Barrysworld being a gaming site run by people that like gaming. Where people could speak their mind about games and openly discuss them and brands and many gaming issues. Under the wing of Game shops it's no longe so personal and everything seems very limited and censored. The financial backing (should the game servers actually get anything from the stores) would no doubt be able to improve the standard of the servers but at the same time the forums have suffered greatly in my opinion, and I've not even been posting that long.

Perhaps the forums should remain a completely seperate entity from the game servers? I don't know, just thinking with my fingers here (I assume this is the typing version of "thinking out loud").

C

Clowneh!

Would you rather all us people who haven't given you money to leave? By the way, someone made me look helpful for once :p

M

~Mobius~

I always liked Barrysworld as a name, sounded friendly and informal. Made the place seem more of a laugh. Game.net sounds so techy and business like.
Not that it matters anyway. :)

E

Embattle

Why do some of you make such a big deal out of it, I've been using the forums.game.net addy for ages...I still have it set in green :p

D

Deadmanwalking

Why are you all getting so bloody upset by the change?

Its the same forums!! Just have a dif name... seriously get a hobby or something.

J

jo.

I suppose if you don't like "Game.net" you could continue calling it Barrysworld, and people would know what you were on about...

/me goes back to cleaning melted Opal Fruits off my desk using Jif.

C

Cdr

OMG thats too difficult :(

Also, I propose custom titles should only be given to subscribers, and non-subscriber's titles removed.

*waits for the flames*

D

Deadmanwalking

<sarcasm>
OMGS!! CDR!! What about the longstanding members of "Teh community" who dont actually subscribe just post and moan about it all here? Eh Eh?

What about them!!

</sarcasm>

But hes on to a good idea, plus ban anyone that uses the words.

Suit, Corporate, Regulars or Barrysworld in the same sentance as Game.net.

A

adams901

you mean you want the Game.net Corporate Suits to ban the Barrysworld Regulars?

OMG im so Outraged.

E

evilmonkeh

:eek: but but... oh well
i use game.net anyway, not too hard..

T

Tom

Well I'd resubscribe when my current runs out, but theres fuck all point.

D

Deadmanwalking

Tom, because they changed Barrysworld to Game.net?

Hmmm

F

FatBusinessman

My question is this - why discontinue the use of forums.barrysworld.com? It doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose, means that the majority of the users have to go through the tedious (albeit generally quick) process of updating their bookmarks and means that anyone who tries to come back to BW after a long absence will find that it no longer works.

I just don't see the point in removing it, really. Presumably it's little more than an alias anyway?

T

Tom

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Tom, because they changed Barrysworld to Game.net?

Hmmm

no, because the servers are empty, and Game prices aren't all that good.

S

SoWat

Jesus, what a load of Victor Meldrews.

So the URL has changed in line with the rest of the Game.net site. It's hardly going to cause anyone with an IQ higher than single figures a problem.

I personally think that Game are looking to their future audience, not you and me. If all the (non-subscribing) regulars leave in a huff, I doubt anyone at Game would lose sleep over it.

The forums have changed a lot in the time I've been using them... for the better. The days of new members being sacrificed on the altar of the General forum are thankfully long gone.

W

WPKenny

Does this or will this affect @barrysworld.com email addresses?

I've been using mine for years and it'd be a real shame to lose it, not because the company vanished but just decided it didn't want to use the bw domain anymore.

Please say #barrysworld.com emails won't be going anywhere any time soon (i.e. ever)?

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by WPKenny

Please say #barrysworld.com emails won't be going anywhere any time soon (i.e. ever)?

Probably ported to: @GAME.NET?

Users who are viewing this thread