RE: Min requirements on SI.

B

BlueJam

Pentium/AMD 1.4 GHz

I've kinda got a wanky computer which could just about run the original release of DAoC. But this new min requirement is like 3x faster than what I've got.

Basically does this = me screwed for SI and or the patch that has the new GFX engine ? :/

A

Archeon

this has been said about a million times.

1. SI is not a requirement for playing DAoC, you can still play you just won't have access to any of the areas. That said only a total tit would take this option :)

2. you can (apparently) configure just about everything on SI. i think to the point you can even switch off the new graphics engine, so you should be ok to use SI on your nasty computer but take my advice and use this as an excuse to do some serious upgrading :)

B

BlueJam

Yeah, might be time to blow the cob webs of the old wallet.

G

Gahldir

if you are sitting on a 0.5GHz processor it's time for you to upgrade.

N

nju

Originally posted by Archeon
2. you can (apparently) configure just about everything on SI. i think to the point you can even switch off the new graphics engine, so you should be ok to use SI on your nasty computer

i'm willing to bet goa will consider it hacking 8)

goa put up a online computer store yet? bet that's coming with si too. daoc wont run on any other computers except those goa has provided for serious $$$ 8)

O

old.Fangrim

You cannot switch off the new gfx engine.

You can adjust the water (use the old style), and the shadows.

The new engine is faster, BUT there's more details/textures, so it's hard to say how it's going to run on a slow machine.

O

old.m0000

im relyably informed that anything over a ghz with a gf3 or 4 and 512+ of ram runs si fine

K

Keri

Hmmm .. at the risk of being flamed for repeating myself yet again ......... I play SI on a P3 500 with 256 MB and a GeForce2 MX400. Yes, I turned off the water and shadow effects. No, I don't see all the new graphical effects. I do get a gfx bug when it rains. BUT .. for those who want to explore the new lands, and just cannot afford to get a new system, you CAN play SI on a system that is well below Mythic/GOA's minimum specs. I get no lag, even on a keep raid. I decided to try SI on a US server to see if I could play it with this PC. Much to my surprise, I can play it just fine, and when I group, others in the group can't tell I'm playing on an old PC .. they do not see me lagging at all.

F

Flimgoblin

youi can plan an SI account in the old lands with the old graphics system if you want :)

(so pop round to a friends house, create a necro and move back home)

you just run a different client...

but SI will run on fairly low-end machines, better than it does now :)

Places like Caer Gothwaite however are about as laggy as camelot so my poor laptop can't get started in there :(

S

Shaki/Aeis

Originally posted by Keri
Hmmm .. at the risk of being flamed for repeating myself yet again ......... I play SI on a P3 500 with 256 MB and a GeForce2 MX400. Yes, I turned off the water and shadow effects. No, I don't see all the new graphical effects. I do get a gfx bug when it rains. BUT .. for those who want to explore the new lands, and just cannot afford to get a new system, you CAN play SI on a system that is well below Mythic/GOA's minimum specs. I get no lag, even on a keep raid. I decided to try SI on a US server to see if I could play it with this PC. Much to my surprise, I can play it just fine, and when I group, others in the group can't tell I'm playing on an old PC .. they do not see me lagging at all.
Did you have any lag before you bought SI?
Did it get better or worse once you instealled SI?

O

oblivion_6

anyone whos ever done any directx or graphics programmin will tell you this

The CPU speed really doesnt matter much, yeah it has to be enough to cope with the operations being carried out and in a game like DAOC that could be a few but no more than 500mhz i would wager.

The main cause of slowdown in games is due to the GFX processing baggin up the CPUs time with operations. This is why the new age cards like your Geforces etc vastly improve perfomance.

That said if your GFX card is a low speed then it will not be able to process the incstructions being sent to it and hence this will create a bottleneck, hence massive drop in FPS.

Giving that the geforce 4 cards (not MX ones their shit :p) operate at speeds of 300Mhz plus this is basically like having a 90's machine running inside your existing machine dealy solely with the graphics. If your card has more than 64 MB then the chances of this memory being used completely and the system having to allocate system ram (which is far slower, well used to be probably not that slower now but still the allocating of it must be carried out by your CPU increasing instrucions to it and decreasing availble processor time for other operations)

The spec of machine i have had for the past 2 years has been a 850Mhz Athlon with a semi-new Geforce 4 ti4600 128 MB this can run every game on the market at maximum resolutions.

So if you want to run SI with all the new sparkly stuff as long as you have one of the newer gfx card operating at at least 200Mhz + with 64+ ram and you have enough system memory to prevent it being full 512+ then you will be sorted :)

man im bored lol

O

old.0xygen

Right now I'm running a PIII 733mhz with 256mb sdram and a geforce 2 PCI

By next week I should hopefully have a AMD XP2000+, 512mb ddr ram and a gf3 ti500.

If I had the money I'd get a better gfx card but the gf3 will do the business better than a low end gf4 (which high end gf2's are better than)

A

Anu

Where is a good place to get a new Geforce 4 ti4600 128 MB ??

O

oblivion_6

Originally posted by old.0xygen

If I had the money I'd get a better gfx card but the gf3 will do the business better than a low end gf4 (which high end gf2's are better than)

rofl what u basing this on?

MX cards?

Geforce 4 ti4200 is way better than 3 and a truck load better than 2's

plus u can get a decent geforce 4 for bout 150

O

oblivion_6

woops soz m8 :p

If you stay in scotland infiti computers in glasgow are good :)

but im guessing you dont so why not buy one here?

www.overclock.co.uk

O

oblivion_6

Nice card that one not bad at just over 160 quid for it

I payed 150 for mine and its better than that so aye i would say

But thats the ultimate top of the range geforce which might be overkill but heay if you can afford it go for it :D

A

Anu

cool the old flexi friend will pay for that :D (i mean creadit card damn it u perv's)

Thanks for help Obli :)

O

oblivion_6

just curious but whats the spec of the rest of your machine m8?

A

Anu

*COUGH!*

800MHZ (Clockable to 1gig)
768meg mem
1 12gig hd
1 20 gig hd
(got a 80 gig waiting for a Mobo upgrade)

i have enuff spare cash to buy a new pc.. buy wanna upgrade gfx card

current is erm This One

might not be exact.. not 100% sure :eek:

ok for SI i hope.

O

oblivion_6

OH AYE I REMEMBER THAT ONE

NOT THAT BAD BUT PREETY CACK COMPARED TO NEW ONES :)

IM SO TEMPTED TO UPGRADE MY MACHINE AND GET A 2GHZ CPU AND MOTHERBOARD AND WHACK EM IN MY LUVELY NEW ALUMINIUM SEE THROUGH CASE THATS NOT CAME OUT THE BOX SINCE I BOUGHT IT COZ MY CURRENT SPEC IS TOO PANTS LOL

woops soz bout caps was working on the mainframe :p

A

Anu

Well its done me ok for quite a while now but i'm falling behind loads :) and itching to upgrade so i could be outlaying for a mobo/chip combo :x

O

old.Jable

i have an ati 128mb 9100 card, 512mb of ram, athlon 1.7xp, 80gig ata133 harddrive and an audigy 2 platinum soundcard.

i expect S.I to run like the plums.

E

Erekrose

Well heres hoping my Laptop 1ghz PIII 512mb Ram with 32mb S3 twister card can make it at least playable. Im off to Game this lunch time to purchase my copy.

E

Erekrose

Originally posted by Erekrose
Well heres hoping my Laptop 1ghz PIII 512mb Ram with 32mb S3 twister card can make it at least playable. Im off to Game this lunch time to purchase my copy.

Ah no i wont be buying it from Game this lunch time they arnt getting it till friday.

Users who are viewing this thread