RC helicopters

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
am thinking of getting one well i am getting one but im a bit unsure of whether the one ive chosen is a good starter model. ive played on some toy ones and they are really fun so im looking to get a better model ive heard a 4 channel is best to start with so thats what ive gone for

this is the model im considering getting ESky Honey Bee V2 2.4G --- BuzzFlyer UK

im sure i saw a thread ages ago about Rc helicopters so im hopin theres some enthusiasts on here that can steer me in the right direction and gimme some tips :)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I <3 remote control toys. Always intended to get one when I was a teenager, but never did. Submarines were particularly fascinating, goodness knows where one could use one though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
In water.

We always used to want to mount bb guns to an rc plane when we were kids, never got round to it though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Omg i have always wanted an RC chopper but have visions of me back flipping it on take off Battlefield style.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Someone ( bodhi? ) I forget - in one of the camera threads - posted a video of a RC helicopter with a HD camera attached. It was pretty fucking awesome.

Gemma the Dog

One of Freddy's beloved
Heli addict...

Hi mate - I'd count myself a bit of an r/c heli addict - if if only a part time one ;)

I 1st got hooked after stumbling on this video YouTube - TRex 600 Helicopter - Amazing Tricks

When I 1st saw it I thought it must be a fake...surely nothing could fly like that...but some more searching proved it to be quite possible (for the supremely gifted that is!).

Anyhow - after some 'toys' helis I wanted a non-fixed pitch heli (known as Collective Pitch or just CP)....after all how hard can it be to fly upside down ? :) and decided on a Honey CP2. This was *waaaaay* harder then the little indoor toy helis...and I managed to crash it at least twice (btw...BBQ vs Helicopter...BBQ wins....)

It wasn't long after I got this heli that I made the best purchase I've made in this hobby...and it cost less than the Heli! It is the Phoenix flight simulator. It will cost you about £80 - you may find one 2nd hand cheaper....but not only will it teach your brain & fingers what to do without thinking for 5 seconds about it....but it will give you to try out all sort of different models. This will show you just how twitchy and hard to control the small r/c helis are!

Fly a big Trex 700 on the sim is lovely....but I don't have the cash (or the balls) to risk flying one and crashing one for real :)

I think they have a demo of this from their main site: http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm ... and it sounds like the controller the heli you are thinking of would work with that.

The heli you've linked to is fixed pitch - which should make it easier to control - but means you can only really hope to fly it outside when there is basically no wind....your only way to control height is by slowing and speeding up the motor - which is much slower way than by altering pitch.

I spent a bunch of money on upgrades for the HobeyBee CP2 which at the end of the day was just a waste. I finally took the plunge and forked out about £500 on a Trex 450 with decent transmitter (programmable) and it was a massive improvement on the HB CP2!! (of course a fair bit more expensive too!).

My concern is that you may just find this fun enough to get you hooked but frustrating enough to put you off ;)

I could just waffle on for hours, but for now I'll point you to some *far* more knowledgeable people over here... Your Friendly Rc Helicopter Community

Any questions I'd be happy to help if I can! I currently fly a Trex 500 when I have the time and love it...even if I'm not very good...needs a lot of space to fly and away from other people really! I'm only up to loops/rolls/flips and the odd bit of inverted hovering (very high up!).

cheers

J

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I wonder how many that guy has smashed :)

Gemma the Dog

One of Freddy's beloved
I wonder how many that guy has smashed :)

I suspect the technical term would be 'sh1tloads' :)

although not as many as this chap YouTube - Tareq Alsaadi (UAE) with T-Rex700 (Crash), Alpine Heli Smackdown 2009

I'll be seeing him fly in person again this year at the UK championships...he apparently has about 30 helis and employs someone to build them and maintain them for him....nice when you have endless supplies of cash and another heli sitting and waiting when you crash!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
They had RC jet fighters this year at summer solstice thingy up north, from afar they look like very agile fighter jets and sound aalmost like the real deal.

Cool, big, expensive :D

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
wow that vid just blew me away im still not sure i can believe its real lol, just wow, i had no idea these things could do anything even remotely like this!

ive ordered a simulator and a training kit to help me get started and after a couple of days surfing the honeybee v2 keeps coming up trumps as the one to buy will def have a look at that phoenix tho if i find myself getting hooked :)

thxs alot for the advice gemma :) hope you dont mind if i drop you a few questions once ive got it :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Great chipper, sony entertainment music(evidently) in it so my country won't show it.

It's ridicilous really.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
what your country lol? you aint missin owt really its only the top gun theme tune music

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
what your country lol? you aint missin owt really its only the top gun theme tune music

Finland, scandinavia has such anal copyright laws :p

Thying is, if anyone is using any music really, it's possible to call copyright on it since sony owns half the world.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Someone ( bodhi? ) I forget - in one of the camera threads - posted a video of a RC helicopter with a HD camera attached. It was pretty fucking awesome.
This?
YouTube - First 5Dmk2 Aerial Test on RC helicopter
T'was quite lovely. :)

I always had visions of having a RC helicopter when I was younger. It was either that or a proper (like, petrol engined) RC monster truck or something. Neither ever happened though. :(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

That would be me.

Edit: went to post the link to it, I see it's already on the thread :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm fascinated by the direction RC aircraft are going. At what point do these things stop being hobby toys and start being drones? And when you stick HD cameras and video on them, where do you stand legally? (I know there have been attempts by paparazzi to use RC helicopters, and they will only get more sophisticated). And if that F14 in the earlier video crashes and kills someone, what's the legal position (impressive jet btw, but when it gets retractable landing gear and proper VG wings then I'll be really impressed).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
And when you stick HD cameras and video on them, where do you stand legally? (I know there have been attempts by paparazzi to use RC helicopters, and they will only get more sophisticated)

Pocket-sized stinger missiles > RC chopper.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Does GPS stand for German Penis Size now, then? :p

/xenophobe :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm fascinated by the direction RC aircraft are going. At what point do these things stop being hobby toys and start being drones? And when you stick HD cameras and video on them, where do you stand legally? (I know there have been attempts by paparazzi to use RC helicopters, and they will only get more sophisticated). And if that F14 in the earlier video crashes and kills someone, what's the legal position (impressive jet btw, but when it gets retractable landing gear and proper VG wings then I'll be really impressed).

And with impeccable timing:
VIDEO: Crash Of RC Plane Into Real One Sparks Dogfight Over Air Rights

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sounds like it's squarely the pilot of the real planes fault. And looks like it too from the video.

Chilly

Balls of steel
in the uk you need a licence from the whoeveritisagency to gather data from the sky - aka unmanned drone + digicamera. Obviusly they dont care about hobbyists doing it in their gardens, though.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
in the uk you need a licence from the whoeveritisagency to gather data from the sky - aka unmanned drone + digicamera. Obviusly they dont care about hobbyists doing it in their gardens, though.

On a side note, I wonder if that guy with the weather balloon had one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...th-using-camera-fixed-to-weather-balloon.html

Few months back now, sure someone posted something on here about it. It was quite a big hobby on for this guy apparently, but he only spent £4000 total on a few different balloons with camera's.

Apologies for going off topic, but it is a interesting weekend hobby :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
I always love that video with the real turbines, omg the skill it took to land that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom