[RANT] Office 2010

Jeros

Part of the furniture
So they changed everything again.

Seriously fuck off, i dont want to keep re learning were everything is everytime they release a new office.

I cant even make a good graph with this new version as i cant find what i need!

For me as a student its annoying, for people who use it for work its more of an issue i would imagine.

/rant off

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Same here, have it installed and its completely different from before. I don't get why they make drastic changes like this. The software interface worked. Yeah maybe make the edges shinier and have slightly bigger buttons, but why change the whole thing :(

GReaper

Part of the furniture
for people who use it for work its more of an issue i would imagine.

They'll probably stick with ancient versions of Office on Windows XP unless they're forced to move on. Which is probably a good thing considering the useless changes in each version of Office, but an absolute pain when the same places use IE6.. :(

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I just hated changing from .doc to .docx (.xls/.xlsx etc etc). The amount of helpdesk calls of "I can't open this document" combined with management stating no converter installs on work machines made life a right royal pain in the ass.

I'm still working out the intracacies (spelling?) of Office 2007. I plan on not touching 2010 for a long long time...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I didn't like Office 2007. I quite like Office 2010. I still think Microsoft have fucked up the interface somewhat, with most functions being more difficult to find instead of easier.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I like 2007, it took a fair bit of getting used to but I have forgotten how to use xp now. I agree with the file issue though, its so annoying when people can't open the files so I have to send two copies out. I use a reporting plug-in and some of the functionality only works with 2007 onwards so I have to send reports out twice because of compatibility issues with much messing about to get them to work in pre-2007 versions.

What have they changed with 2010?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Office 2007 was quite a shift from the previous versions.
Ive not yet tried Office 2010 but will be installing it very soon on my new PC

At work we still use Office 2003!! It would cause all sorts of chaos here if we "upgraded"!

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i dont thing 2010 is that much of a change from 2007 if anything i think its better, main thing i like is you can hide the ribbon

Chilly

Balls of steel
you're all haters. 2010 is epic. outlook 2010 is WAY better than any other version. Its almost as good as the outlook webmail client :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I didn't have a problem going up to 2010 that I remember... I mostly use Excel. I don't like Outlook 2010 though, I found it bloated and sluggish (as a pure email client, which is what I wanted it for) but that was on a relatively old laptop. Use Thunderbird now instead. :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I don't suppose Microsoft bothered to fix IMAP for Outlook 2010?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I don't even bother with an e-mail client these days. I just use Gmail. Saves the bother of having to back anything up...

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Not a big fan of Office since the change to 2007 found it ungainly and overcomplicated. Tend to use Open Office more and more now, its only my work computer that has Office now.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Im still on WinXp and Office 2000 :p

Why change something if what you already have works perfectly? :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I use Google Docs :) OpenOffice is so last year :p

Installed Office 10 at home on Win7 using my MSDN license but it doesn't work. Not bothered trying to find out why as I never need it. Was just curious.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Open Office is Libre Office now isn't it?

Anyway, Office 2007 -> are gay because the keyboard shortcuts are completely wank. I can only use it because by using the old keyboard shortcuts.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I like Office2010, mostly because it has pretty pictures showing how things work which means I don't have to memorize which menu things are hidden under. I'd imagine is a pain in the ass if you have used the older versions every day for years though.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Work still uses office 2003 (and windows xp), and I still use 2003 at home. I know where everything is, I know what everything does. When I used 2007 the interface just annoyed me within minutes of using it and I had it installed at home for less than a week.

It didn't seem to bring much to the table in the way of new functionality either, at least not with the stuff I use it for (basic databases, letters, the odd spreadsheet ect.)

I don't really understand,when Microsoft purposely kept the interface more or less the same for nearly ten years and all the office drones are used to it, why they would change it so much. It makes no sense and has meant that huge organisations (in my case the NHS) are now using rediculously outdated software because they don't want to spend money training the drones to use a new interface.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Whats annoying about the changes is that there isn't a "classic" option.

I hate them too, and IMAP is still wank on Outlook. If there was a decent email/diary app out there that could do a better job, I'd have it.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I didn't have a problem going up to 2010 that I remember... I mostly use Excel. I don't like Outlook 2010 though, I found it bloated and sluggish (as a pure email client, which is what I wanted it for) but that was on a relatively old laptop. Use Thunderbird now instead. :)

Just don't shift to the latest version of thunderbird as it's a bloated buggy POS.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I hate them too, and IMAP is still wank on Outlook. If there was a decent email/diary app out there that could do a better job, I'd have it.

Zimbra desktop is pretty decent, and the mail client in Opera ain't bad either.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH

Yeah, actually thats the exact problem, an option for classic looking menu's during setup or whatever surely wouldn't have been that difficult to do. They have had options to keep windows looking pretty much the same for years allowing people to get used to changes slowly over time. I don't see why they didn't do it with office.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
you're all haters. 2010 is epic. outlook 2010 is WAY better than any other version.

Agreed - takes a bit of getting used to ... but after that it's great and far more intuitive to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom