[Rant]Let's talk casual...gaming.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
So you start designing games that are like mario kart or guitar hero, with maybe one or two "tricks" up it's sleave, but nothing like the old gamers remember.

But Mario Kart is an old game and a very very successful old game at that.

Even so - I fail to see what is casual about Mario Kart? Does that make Gran Turismo casual? Or Need for Speed?

They all have the casual aspect, yet also the more hardcore-aspect.

I agree with Calean to an extent - i think the design in flawed in a sense that many games have demonstrated that casual and hardcore can both be integrated into a game and that people are able to differentiate between the two.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Even so - I fail to see what is casual about Mario Kart? Does that make Gran Turismo casual? Or Need for Speed?

I agree with Calean to an extent - i think the design in flawed in a sense that many games have demonstrated that casual and hardcore can both be integrated into a game and that people are able to differentiate between the two.

Mario Kart is a casual game(all things considered, especially the target audience) with a core aspect in there(meaning the superduper hard to finish(which i doubt)).

Gran Turismo is a simulator, core by definition, and targetted to a core audience. But, it can be played casually.

Both can be integrated into the game, sure, but it can't be marketed and aimed at both completely. If a game is completely casual and completely core, it will fall in between and usually fail.

Chronictank

FH is my second home

Mario Kart in its original form is very much so a casual game, however the added stuff on the wii makes it both

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Games have moved with the world we live in, people like to do many things and there is not enough time in the day.

An example of this is how you can now pretty much save any game at any stage. this allows people to find the time for certain missions that otherwise would have to be restarted from the beginning.

This takes away any of the challenge aspect because you see people saving everytime they kill something. Its wrong, but thats the way its become.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I can't see why a game like Baldur's Gate can't be played casually, yes it has a storyline in the range of 40-50+ hours(twice that if you play from BG1>BG2) but what is exactly stopping you from playing an hour every day or so?

I think you are mixing the issue, casual gaming is when you don't have time to play that much, casual games are where they intentionally dumb things down so you won't have to learn anything - and in my opinion removing the "reward" you get from overcoming things you couldn't do when you started.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I can't see why a game like Baldur's Gate can't be played casually, yes it has a storyline in the range of 40-50+ hours(twice that if you play from BG1>BG2) but what is exactly stopping you from playing an hour every day or so?

I think you are mixing the issue, casual gaming is when you don't have time to play that much, casual games are where they intentionally dumb things down so you won't have to learn anything - and in my opinion removing the "reward" you get from overcoming things you couldn't do when you started.

Umm...i think others are mixing the issue.

I'm talking exactly about casual games, never said games couldn't be played casual-ly.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Was meant to quote there but, quick reply is quicker-ish.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Seel is as quick to posting replies as flies are to shit tbh! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom