Randomly switching off

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Sharon's computer has taken to randomly switching itself off. She is working on it and suddenly she is just seeing the 'No Signal' message on her monitor.

She is immediately able to restart the PC and it works OK for a random amount of time again.

About 4 months ago the power supply was fried by a power spike and replaced with no seeming problems, but could the current problems be a residual effect?

The other option is overheating I guess, but the PC doesn't seem too hot.

any ideas?

RB

Kryten

Old Cow.
With that previous power issue, I'd put first guess down to a residual issue.
Of course check the running temperatures from the bios or using 3rd party software like motherboard monitor/sisoft sandra, and it may be worth checking the RAM - if you've more than one module installed, remove one and run with the other to see if the problem still occurs - if it does, swap modules, try again.

Always worth trying to remove as much hardware as possible such as CD/DVD drives, sound cards, modems, network cards etc to narrow down issues to the mainboard/cpu.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My pc kept restarting for no reason so it seemed until I narrowed it down to the GPU overheating. For some reason the fan was not running at max when playing games.

Since I installed RIVATUNER and override the nvidia drivers the pc has been rock solid since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom