Ram

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I've currently got 512 MB RAM, but want to upgrade to 1GB as I'm getting FPS lag in Camelot with the new DR graphics. CPU runs at 3GHz, and graphics cards = GForce 440 Ti (which allows all DAOC graphics to the max). Don't get FPS lag anywhere else except Cammy post-DR. Even full-scale RVR is smooth.

I've got another 512 chip, but for some compatability reason, my PC doesn't like the two chips together. They seem to be both DDR.

Its gonna be easier for me to just go out and buy 1GB RAM and put that in, rather than mix n match type thing.

My question is: what sort of RAM should I get. I don't know the difference between the various sorts (what the heck is DDR?). I don't wanna pay more than £80 for it.

Any suggestions / advice very much welcomed :)

Thank you.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
First off, do the speeds of the ram match ? that could be ya problem.

for ya "(what the heck is DDR?)" questions lets take it from the start.

RAM (Random Access Memory) Easy 1.
now for PC's this is followed by either SD or S ram.

SRam or Static ram is the stuff you find on ya cpu for lvl 1/2/3 cache, v expsensive to produce.

SD Ram or Synchronous Dynamic Ram is the stuff you'll find on alot of PC's

Next comes SDR/DDR which is easy part.
Single/Double Data Rate. Double transfers twice the data single does in the same cycle.

So.
Double data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access memory or DDRSDRAM or DDRram for short.

Not gonna go into packages and speeds Google if ya wanna know more :)

If both chip are same speed, Might be best going for single 1 gig stick, But check mobo site for recommended ram types to leave you with less chance of a fail. Also might wanna wait till late Jan next year if pos, Price is always high around xmas.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thanks a lot mate, that was a really great response :D

I didn't even consider that the two chips could be different speeds.

I'll stick with the 512 for now, then go shopping in Jan. Thanks again

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Two different speeds can work together fine. All it means is your chance of running in dual channel mode is dimished and both sticks will run at the speed of the slowest stick.

To identify your existing RAM try using a tool like;

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

or alternatively, try pulling out your existing stick and looking at any labels along the side. Most manufacturers will label there ram either with a DDR speed or a ram model number like PC3200 (each number will directly refer to a DDR speed , google for the correct speed).

For a 3ghz pentium most likely you are looking at DDR400 or DD333. New DDR2 ram will not physically fit in the same slot so you dont have to worry about that from a compatibility point of view. Some of the older pre DDR ram will however and not work.

For low end generic DDR you will only be looking at about 25 quid per 512 mb stick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom