Help Ram memory.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I've finally checked what ram i got in my Dell Dimension e531 AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual, Core Processor 5000+.

Got two 1gb sticks 2Rx8 PC2 4200U 444 Samsung sticks in it, and got two empty slots,

But i have no bloody clue what kind of memory i should buy for my comp if i should replace the two i got and buy two more so i got 4GB for vista after the summer.

Please give me some input :) Checked around and DDR2 memory is quite cheap.
And you guys normally got good answers.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Oh wait, I have just noticed thats for an E521 and you said E531. Make sure you select the correct model! I think that website can do an automatic scan anyway.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Oh wait, I have just noticed thats for an E521 and you said E531. Make sure you select the correct model! I think that website can do an automatic scan anyway.
Ahh you are correct i got E521 :) my fat fingers made me misstype. :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
After double checking with Dell i've ordered
2 Kingston 1024MB DDR2 533MHz PC2-4200 (KTD-DM8400A/1G)

Ominous

Banned
4 gig of ram? Wowsa - now that sounds damn awesome. Not upgraded my pc for 5 yrs or more and working with 700 and something mb of ram. 4gb seems incredible to me - but what benefits are you experiencing with it? Do you do a lot of multi-tasking? I can't see how such a huge amount of such ram will be of benefit otherwise?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
4 gig of ram? Wowsa - now that sounds damn awesome. Not upgraded my pc for 5 yrs or more and working with 700 and something mb of ram. 4gb seems incredible to me - but what benefits are you experiencing with it? Do you do a lot of multi-tasking? I can't see how such a huge amount of such ram will be of benefit otherwise?

Vista will use 300+mb ram :-(

If you have a pc which is ok for games etc, having 2gb ram would speed your system up. ANy games that require alot of ram wont cripple your pc

Kaomond

Fledgling Freddie
Until they've done a few more updates for xp and vista it's pointless going over 3gb unless you have the 64 bit versions of the op systems, they just don't use anything more than that properly at the moment.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Vista will use 300+mb ram :-(

If you have a pc which is ok for games etc, having 2gb ram would speed your system up. ANy games that require alot of ram wont cripple your pc

Worse then that I think :( My desktop (XP) uses about 300mb ram idle but my laptop (vista) uses 580mb ram with little running other then just vista. My old laptop used closer to 700mb ram on vista too.

Still got no idea how sellers can get away with supplying laptops with 1gb ram and vista, it's nuts. Then they add on random programs to make it even worse. Both laptops initially had around 950mb ram idle when I first got them so unless you've cleared stuff it's diabolical. Little off topic I guess but nevermind :)

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Until they've done a few more updates for xp and vista it's pointless going over 3gb unless you have the 64 bit versions of the op systems, they just don't use anything more than that properly at the moment.
Not true. It all depends on how many cards you have in the computer since the adressing of pci cards etc must be in the 3-4gb range. Less expansion cards equals more memory for joo.. Although getting a total of 4GB in a 32bit version of windows is very hard to achive ;p

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Worse then that I think :( My desktop (XP) uses about 300mb ram idle but my laptop (vista) uses 580mb ram with little running other then just vista. My old laptop used closer to 700mb ram on vista too.

Still got no idea how sellers can get away with supplying laptops with 1gb ram and vista, it's nuts. Then they add on random programs to make it even worse. Both laptops initially had around 950mb ram idle when I first got them so unless you've cleared stuff it's diabolical. Little off topic I guess but nevermind :)

Vista deals with memory in a completely different way from xp, the amount of ram you have free is irrelevant as it frees it up when its needed... its not doing anything otherwise.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
i got 4gb when i made my pc coz i was duel logging daoc in full settings, msn, vent, internet, left norton running too (ye i know i know) and on some days ran fraps with all that stuff so wanted the 4gb really!
and with WAR coming soon-ish i would go for 4gb for sure and a good old system wipe :p
and crucial.com is deffo the place for RAM upgrading!! on my old pc i got 2 new sticks after using the scan and it was at my door (sent from uk) in 3days... thats service!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Vista deals with memory in a completely different way from xp, the amount of ram you have free is irrelevant as it frees it up when its needed... its not doing anything otherwise.

Oi you, I may have caused Diabetes, but i never fucked no monkey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom