Question Ram Disks

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Just upgraded to 8Gb of ram as it's cheap at the mo, and will only get more expensive with the £ going the way of the zimb$.

None of the applications I run will really use it, so I'm looking at turning the extra 4Gb into a ram disk, where I'll put my temp files, page file, maybe my browser.

What software do you guys suggest using?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
You're going to use your RAM as a page file?

I'm asking because I can't believe someone would want to do that.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Putting an ssd in soon as well, so preparing for that. The less writes to it the better.

If I could I'd completely disable the page file, but I've heard of problems within windows if you do that.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
ramdisks help speed up your OS ST^, so why not, if you have heaps of memory...

Kryten

Old Cow.
for the pagefile? don't, just turn it off. However, there are some retarded parts of some OS's (not sure Vista likes it) and programs that will not work if theres no pagefile (hello anything by Adobe)

Otherwise no real suggestions as it's not something I've ever looked at - at least, not since the days of DOS and nowadays just in bootable DVDs.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Will be installing win7 on the new ssd, so that's when I'll be mucking around with the pagefile settings.

Ok, sounds like i'll do a bit more research on it.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Disable the page file. With 8Gb of RAM you're not going to need it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Chilly

Balls of steel
Disable the page file. With 8Gb of RAM you're not going to need it.

Sadly not all operating systems are created equal. a pagefile SHOULD be a transparent second-rate backend for the memory subsystem, in practice it's often supplied as a bona fide service to applications.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Sadly not all operating systems are created equal. a pagefile SHOULD be a transparent second-rate backend for the memory subsystem, in practice it's often supplied as a bona fide service to applications.

He said windows 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom