RAM Advice.....

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I've got a asus k8V deluxe mobo with a AMD 64FX 53 processer and I was wondering does anyone know what the cheapest/best RAM is for my mobo? cheap being the factor here.

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
Im just making my new computer with the AMD 64 cpu too, and got 1GB DDR 400 memory, was quite a good price at £80 but if you can usually pick up smaller erm i dunno though. Cheap to me could be un-cheep to someone else, but value for moolah i think it was good. there’s lotsa different price variations depending how much memory your after. hmm

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Thats the kind of thing im looking for i've got around £130 to spend on 1gb Ram so if you could recommend some sites/places that would be great.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
First of all, you have a £500 odd pound processor, a £75 (ish) motherboard and you want to now throttle it with cheap RAM? thats not a particularly smart choice. However, its your decision, check out
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/ they have some good reviews of memory that you can afford...once you found the memory you think you will like go to
www.planetprices.co.uk and check out how much it is... I would recommend crucial or ocz for some decent RAM.

Hope that helps.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I think I will go for Crucial I've had some of their stuff before in my old PC and i've had it over 3yrs

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Never heard anything but bad about scan tbh.

I used to use komplett.co.uk but I think aria are beating them slightly on prices atm.

Either way I think you would find the crucial value select 1gb 3200 memory (2x512mb matched dimms) to be a good investment for that board.

Personally I went with an Amd 64 3500, third eye mobo, 1gb xms ddr400 and a geforce 6800gt recently and its very very quick. Runs hl2 with all the toys on at around 80-150 fps depending on map and number of grenades about. I haven't bothered playing with the via's or the latest nvidia drivers yet either so I am hoping to get a bit more out of it shortly.

Personally I would ramp the memory spec up. There's no point in blowing £600 on processor and mobo then skimping. You would be better off saving on the processor and whacking the spec of the memory up - that would give a much better bang for buck.

M

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Crucial ballistix 4000 ram is very good apparently, not heard a bad thing of them, always good but like £180 for 1gb though.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
2x512 should outperform 1 gb stick as most mobos support dual channel access now.... so it should access the memory quicker as you doubling the bandwidth of access to the ram.

I think that's how it works.

M

Llixeraxu.

Fledgling Freddie
if you using duel channel go with twined mem.

corsair twinX for example.

You want REALLY good memory go with OCZ

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Twinned memory is 99% marketing hype, as long as the DIMMs are of the same size, denisty and type they'll work fine.

Just to check though, you have no DDR to go onto the board at present? It's just that the K8V doesn't appear to like having all four dimm slots populated, which means if you ever want to go up to 2Gb you'll need to buy 2x1gb sticks and sell on the old stuff.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Geil value stuff from microdirect.co.uk. It's cheap and it comes with aliminium heatsinks.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
No im in the middle of building the machine, all i have left to buy and install is the RAM and the HD, i've decided which HD I want its just the RAM left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom