Radiohead - Hail To The Thief... and an unwelcome guest.

S

(Shovel)

Looks like I've just bought my last ever CD.

This has nothing to do with whether HTTT is any good... cause I can't play it... I don't have a CD Player - everything goes through the computer - my computer is, as you say, my CD player.

But no, copy protection says that I can't play the CD in my computer... so where does that leave me? Ah, the irony, logging into Kazaa so that I can listen to the CD I just bought.

*not happy :(*

S

(Shovel)

I can't seem to get round it :(

I've tried Clone CD, but the single session it extracts keeps the pops and clicks :(

The built in CD player that it comes with it appears to play back at an astronomical 96kbps (yes, really...)... it's a fucking disgrace.

I don't want a refund, I want to listen to the music :(

D

doh_boy

Isn't there a way of using a marker pen to get around it (the copy protection relies on missing some tracks out or something) or there should be non copy-protected CD's (there should be a little sign on the back of the cd saying that it is copy protected. Just look for CD's without that on it.

S

(Shovel)

I had a friend who got his mits of the "non" special edition version over the weekend (his friend works in a shop selling them, hence the earliness) and he didn't mention any problems.

I've emailed CD-WOW to ask whether they have non "Copy Controlled" versions.

I also wrote a really pissed off email to Trading Standards about Parlophone. :p

S

Scooba Da Bass

The normal edition definitely does have protection on, there's been about lot bitching on some boards I read about trying to get round it. So far it seems that certain Liteon drives and older CD drives (1-4x kinda era) can read through the copy protection.

S

(Shovel)

OK - well both the drives in the machine back home are Lite-On so maybe my brother is having more luck.

My DVD drive certainly is having none of it, and though the CD-RW can recognise all the tracks, MP3 rips and Clone CD err Clones, both retain the popping.

S

Scooba Da Bass

If you want I can rip mine using my older drive and send the mp3s over to you (I'm fairly sure this is legal since we both own it heh)

S

(Shovel)

Thanks Scoob, I'll have a word with my brother and see whether he has been able to get it working with the Lite On drives back home, if not then I may well take you up on that, thank you :)

W

Wazzerphuk

Yeah, the recent LTR liteon drives get around it.

Apparantly.

N

Nibbler

I just put mine in (Plextor CD-R Plexwriter), put on CDEx, ripped it no problem. :confused:

Didn't even no of any protection thingy...works fine...listening to Where I End and You Begin atm....it's fucking brilliant.

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Nibbler
I just put mine in (Plextor CD-R Plexwriter), put on CDEx, ripped it no problem. :confused:

Didn't even no of any protection thingy...works fine...listening to Where I End and You Begin atm....it's fucking brilliant.

It does appear to be shear luck based on your hardware.

My Pioneer DVD really doesn't like it, it can only recognise up to track six as audio. Though when CLoned, I can get perfect MP3s of the first few tracks - I think.

My CL CDRW (old and slow one, 12x10x32) can recognise all the tracks but any cloning just comes out popping.

I'm going to try and rip it on the Lite On drives back home (they be newish), and if not I'll hook Dad's uber CD player up to the Live Drive whatsit and get a quality analogue recording to burn for my legal backup.

Embattle: They are a fucking disgrace, no two ways about it. And to think, through all this they really believe they are doing the right thing. Ha!

EDIT:// Just checked with a friend who has the non special edition, he can;t find the "Copy Controlled" logo anywhere on it and has been making rips from it with no problem. I wont pretend to understand what's going on... (control the people who care enough about the band to want to special edition? meh?)

OK, I'll go to bed now.

T

Trem

Plextors do seem to get around it, me and TDC have both had copy protected cds before and our Plextors read them no problem.

S

(Shovel)

Is anyone an expert on "Exact Audio Copy"? Basically, I can play the CD pefectly with it (woohoo!) but when I rip it the pops and clicks come back. I only just installed and played with it though, so I didn't really know if/where ripping tweaking for this kind of thing should be done?

S

Scooba Da Bass

The popping IS the copy protection. If you take a listen you'll see it's consistant. Unfortunately there's no way round it in software afaik (yet?).

S

(Shovel)

Well, poor me for being conventional, I pressed play in EAC and pressed record in Wavelab Lite...

In kinda devloping news, Trading Standards recon that if the CD will play in a normal CD player then it will be difficult to take it any furthur, which is a little disappointing.

M

MYstIC G

Explain to them that mechanically your CD-Rom drive is a standard CD Player & that the CD is technically limiting your choice of output system (i.e. a stero has it built in/on, where as your PC relies on the SoundCard/Software, etc) *shrug* etc *shrug*

S

(Shovel)

Sounds like a good line to follow. Thanks Mystic G :)

E

Embattle

I used to have problems using both a Pioneer DVD-R/RW when extracting audio with copy protected discs via CDex, although since getting my Samsung I've had no problems...its fing annoying and most probably of no real benefit to music companies using such technology.

S

Summo

This pisses me off. I'm planning on buying this tomorrow and like many peeps I use my pootah as my sound system.

Fucking fuckers. :eek:

S

Scooba Da Bass

Before you buy it have a look and see if it has the Compact Disc logo on. Non copy protected versions have it on as they meet the CD standard. Copy protected versions don't have the CD logo as in effect you aren't buying a CD.

S

(Shovel)

Right then, this appears to be the situation, after discussion with some friends:

If you buy online (certainly from CDWOW), you will find that you will almost certainly get a Copy Controlled version.

If, like some other friends, you buy from a hihg street shop, you stand a good chance of getting a conventional non controlled version.

I'm sure it's not illegal for them to do so (though the retailers shold be labeling it tbh), but they seem to be using a slightly shady means of limiting bad press (no one on the high street will ever know) while also stamping on Internet users.

It's very strange, but try going to real shops and see what you can find.

D

danger

I bought mine from amazon (standard edition) and it doesn't appear to be copy protected... it plays on my piece of crap ASUS DVD-Rom drive that decides to make a racket with whatever disc you put in and on my liteon drive as well..... attempting to rip the album now... ripped fine in my liteon 52x24x52.

W

Wazzerphuk

Liteon 1 - 0 Copy protection.

Got it the other day, currently ripping now. Fucking splendid album. Probably less indivdual tunage on this album than on others, but as an album as a whole I think it's probably their best so far - their sound is great this time around, and each track is a little piece of beauty. *cue sighing*

S

(Shovel)

HMV definately have versions without Copy Control on, I checked today when I was in town.

Maybe it's just a subtle attempt to slip it in so that there's not enough protest for it to register a blip.

Agreed though, it is a damn fine piece of work. I'm impressed at how much shit the critics are spewing over it - Q and NME in particular did very poor quality reviews.

E

Embattle

It is a semi test that is being conducted, although I'm not sure what they could possibly hope to get out of it. I do believe it still hasn't been transfered to America as of yet, most probably get sued silly.

N

nath

Ahh good, I've ordered mine from Play.com, hasn't come yet but I was hoping it wouldn't be.

Apparently these copy protected "CD's" totally bugger up those new lamppost macs. They won't eject (slot loading, so you're pretty much fucked) and the mac tries to boot off the cd, with no option to say "no thx" so the mac basically stops working compeltely.

Apple said "sorry, you're on your own" as the discs aren't actually CD's, so they said it was improper usage of the computer. Or something to that effect.

I have no problem with them doing this copy protection lameness, but if they're going to they NEED to point out that it has this on it, and that it's not actually a CD and may cause a number of problems on PC's/Macs etc.

By the by, embattle that link was horrifying. I can't believe they actually won.. it's absurd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom