Radeon or GeforceFX

B

Big G

Buy a 9700 pro now, or wait until GeforceFX, and why?

Anyone know what sorta price the GF-FX is gonna be? I heard a rumour it was around £400 - £500 (ow..).

Gaz

Y

~YuckFou~

*takes several steps back to avoid potential crossfire injuries*

T

Testin da Cable

buy now or wait for the next best thing. the eternal dilemma of tech related purchases

T

Testin da Cable

what kind of card do you use now Big G?

M

Moön

Dont listen to him, you'l be gutted when Unreal 2 and Doom3 come out and you cant set all the settings to full :p

P

PR.

I'll be comparing the GF4 to the GFFX and if its worth it I will upgrade, BF1942 is a little choppy with Quincux FSAA enabled along with texture sharpening

W

Will

The real question is, as TdC says, what do you have at the moment?

T

Testin da Cable

I currently have an AMD XP2200+, 1 gig of ddr and a gf4/4600ti. the only thing I see myself upgrading in the coming year _might_ be my cpu. maybe.

as PR says [and I said] it depends what you're comparing the new against no?

B

Big G

I have a GF4 Ti4400 128 meg at the mo.

I'm prepared to sell the Ti4400 (creative labs) for £120 and pay an extra £150 for the radeon (if anyone wants to buy? :p)

I guess no matter what you buy, something better will be along in 6-9 months. Even if i wait for GeforceFX, the ultra will be along afterwards. Then they'll bring out the Radeon 31337 Pro that'll be twice as fast as the 9700 etc etc.

Thing is, the Radeon 9700 Pro can be bought for about £270-ishh and be quite capable of running Doom 3 smoothly when it comes out. What i'm trying to get at is, will the GeforceFX been considerably faster than the 9700 Pro to warrant a massive price tag or will it be a case of "it will only be better if the games are written for it" etc, or "GeforceFX has bette eye candy demos than the Radeon".

Also read this, it has some preliminary benchmarks of the GeforceFX. And also this, looks the first benchmarks show a 2 to 3 framerate improvement over the Ti4600 - not as good as i was expecting tbh, and not as good as the Radeon 9700 Pro?

Unless someone explains why to wait for the GF-FX, may as well pitch for the Radeon.

Gaz

T

Testin da Cable

UT2003 Asbestos 1280x1024x32
(4x FSAA 8x Aniso)
GeForce FX - 108.4

*blink*
*take out wallet with slow zombie-like motions*

S

Scooba Da Bass

I've got the Radeon and it's pretty sweet really, not sure it was really worth the step up from the gf4 I had before.

A

adams901

Originally posted by PR.
I'll be comparing the GF4 to the GFFX and if its worth it I will upgrade, BF1942 is a little choppy with Quincux FSAA enabled along with texture sharpening

Wonder if ya can help me then PR...

Whenever I enable Antialiasing Quincux, Antialiasing 4x or Antialiasing 4xs all the text gets blurry for BF1942 and my FPS drop to about 30 (also the intro movie has a white line along the top and left hand side).

I have a GEFORCE 4 V8460 any ideas on what can cause this?

E

Embattle

It is never worth going to the next card up, so if you have a GF4 going to a Radeon 9700 isn't worth it, maybe the FX or the next Radeon.

ATM the life cycle is about 6 months and when you consider the fact that 2 companies are fighting it out then you could say a Graphics card only remains top for 3 months.

ATI are likely to bring out an interim product a short while after the FX gets released.

If the GF4 was 1 in overall performance terms then you might put the 9700 at 1.5 and FX at 2 on average.

Either way you'll find that both ATI and Nvidia are likely to have new products well into development before Doom 3 hits the shelves.

P

PR.

Originally posted by adams901

Wonder if ya can help me then PR...

Whenever I enable Antialiasing Quincux, Antialiasing 4x or Antialiasing 4xs all the text gets blurry for BF1942 and my FPS drop to about 30 (also the intro movie has a white line along the top and left hand side).

I have a GEFORCE 4 V8460 any ideas on what can cause this?

Download the Det4 drivers, and enable the Texture Sharpening option in the drivers. This should improve the text as for the lines probably just a gfx glitch

S

Summo

Big G, you're a madman. Your GeForce 4400 can take anything you throw at it right now. Unreal 2 will use the UT2003 engine which flies on your card.

Why pay £400-£500 for a card which is not going to make a tangible difference to games for another couple of years, by which time the price would have halved?

B

Big G

what scoob said :)

i guess the same reason why someone buys a Ferrari and drives it everwhere at 30mph.

Gaz

G

greendemon

I would say, get the next card up, only when your existing one doesn't do what you want it to do!

:clap:

N

NDR

Originally posted by Big G
I have a GF4 Ti4400 128 meg at the mo.

I'm prepared to sell the Ti4400 (creative labs) for £120 and pay an extra £150 for the radeon (if anyone wants to buy? :p)

Big G, are you selling this card, cos i am interested in buying it off u..... £120.

E-mail me nickroberts84@hotmail.com

Thx mate

K

kryt

er, NDR, no you're not, you can get em new for that, or a Ti4200 for 90 quid inc vat, and clock it to speeds of not far off, or if you spend a little more (100, 110) get one that will do 4600 clock speeds.

Why by something second hand for more than you get em new :D

B

Big G

cos my Ti4400 is virtually brand new and also clocks to 4600 speeds. I checked out prices of the 4200 and i found one for £115. I didn't think that a creative labs ti4400 with that spec for £120 was overpriced in the slightest.

Gaz

N

NDR

e-mail me big g, see if we can sort something....

Cheers

K

kryt

It is, blatantly.... if you shop hard enough you find what you want.

Personally I can buy the 4400 in at 80, + vat + trade I can lob them out retailing at just about 105 quid depending on how much I like the client.
4600's only come in at 160, prices are silly at the minute, can just about beat 200 on those, but some people manage to do better, loss leaders.
It's the loss leaders you want to look out for, unfortunately most of them are shite (ebuyer for instance), but people like komplett will do fair deals. My creative 4200 is currently runing @ 4600 clock speeds, and you'll certainly notice that the 4400's are being phased out : there's no point in having the middle ground. Therefore what stock people do have is going cheap. (no bird jokes).

Second hand, a 4400 certainly isnt worth over 100.

H

Happy Go Lucky

I disagree 4400 is worth it for £120 maybe even more, i'd buy it myself if I didn't think gfx cards were a waste of money.

I using a 64Mb GF2MX at the moment, I play all my games at 800x600 16 bit, however now I'd like to play my games at 1024x768 as my monitor has a very good refresh at that res (100Hz) .

Would I be mad in getting a very affordable GF2 GTS 32Mb, or would that be a step down because of the less memory or should I get something better say a GF2Ti 64Mb ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom