Radeon 9800 pro - need new cooling

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
The stock fan died on me... so now - after a certain amount of time - my screen starts showing artifacts (2D is fine - 3D like WoW is a problem...).
I guess it's obviously an overheating problem.

I don't really want to buy a new card since mine still does a great job.
Now after looking around a little bit I found two options:

Heatsink

or

Fan

Your input is appreciated :)

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
The fan you've linked to is listed as being for Nvidia cards only.

Anyway, I would go for the heatsink so long as you have got space and adequate case cooling to move all that warm air that will build up around it.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I have one of those arctic fans on my 6800...you can get them in radeon flavours too. The one I have is quiet and cools well.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
djpringle said:
The fan you've linked to is listed as being for Nvidia cards only.

Anyway, I would go for the heatsink so long as you have got space and adequate case cooling to move all that warm air that will build up around it.

Ah, sorry for the wrong linkage - I meant this one.

Ok - so the card only displays artifacts when it starts overheating. I am using a Gforce FX5500 oc/256mb which sucks bad in comparison with the 9800 pro. I was a little bit surprised myself.

Anyways, considering it only starts displaying artifacts after about 30-60 minutes of gaming - is it still a good idea to replace the fan or do you think my card is busted?

I am obviously not that hardware smart. :(

Appreciate all your help so far by the way :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Whats the cost of a 9800 pro or even XT these days? Might not be worth the hassle trying to replace the fan.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Ch3tan said:
Whats the cost of a 9800 pro or even XT these days? Might not be worth the hassle trying to replace the fan.

Depends, if it's an older AGP format, then trying to get hold of 9800 Pro cards of that range is difficult, unless you go the second-hand route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom