radeon 9700pro is it really FUBAR??

M

mid_Efour

i just shelled out £300 for a hercules version of thsi card bought online coming in the next few days, i read this and the IGN forum and all i see is BIG problems.

Oh dear god!

It seems stable with INTEL chipsets but fubar on VIA and SiS

my mobo Asus 266M7 or something has AMD chipset.

ANYONE i mean ANYONE playing daoc with this GPU and NOT using Intel Chipset?!?!?!?
No one has come up with a valid answer to the problems(IGN forums) but im guessiing its more Power/heat related issue???

As for direct x9 and drivers?!

i think im going to send it back its not worth the aggro.

can people on here that are having probelms post if they have via chipset or whatever?

before my bank manager kills me thnx

O

old.Whismerill

Well Efour I might not help much, as I have an Intel-chip, and a real ATI Radeon (from US directly).

The only thing I can say : it kicks ass really, I have seen the latest nVidia cards against, I will keep an ATI despite drivers low dev.

M

Meatballs

Im doing fine on my Crucial Radeon9700Pro (think its a sapphire with a different fan basically), on an Athlon XP1900+, 512mb DDR Ram, ABIT KX7-333, not had any crashes yet, been perfectly fine.

Only problem is that some textures on people's guild cloaks look slightly weird, think it might be trying to auto blend them or summat, other cloak types look fine.

[os] Windows XP Professional (5.1 - 2600)
[cpu] 1-AMD , 1600MHz, 256KB (0% Load)
[mem] Usage: 207/512MB (40.43%)
[uptime] 1d 21h 16m 59s
[hdisk] C:\ (36.70GB Free, 57.26GB Total), D:\ (2.92GB Free, 12.72GB Total)
[dialup] Nildram ADSL via Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP @ 576000bps for 1d 2h 16m 54s (14.39MB up, 459.02MB down)
[screen] RADEON 9700 SERIES - Secondary 1280x1024 32bit 75Hz

M

mid_Efour

:O)

ehehe meatballs

thnx for the answer
Im GrrrrrNildram btw on the nildram forum

i should get my radeon in the post tommorow ive phoned them already saying that i dont want it ( i cant see the point of paying £300 ish quid for a hercules card that may not even work properly and cause lock ups etc, i guess my geforce 3 survives another few months.

Starange you have the same cloak texture problem as me with the latest 40.xx Nividia drivers. A white cloak with a red V (my guild cloak) looks kinda pinkish in places, like as you say its trying to blend it, some shaded areas are also abit fubar.

Im curious to know how the card performs in SI.

cheers e4

M

mid_Efour

radeon woes

got and installed the card, anything but the lowest settings would cause massive frame rate losses within 15-20 minutes.
Half life became a slideshow.

the only 2 games i play these days and performence decreased.

1) my pc is getting too old to handle nextgen GFX cards
2)my AMD CHipset is not compatible with this cardwith drivers supplied from the box
3) power drain too much for my 350 watt supply?
4) all of the above at once

This combined with the Memory leak in the DAOC engine just destroyed my comp. poor little thing couldnt keep up.

Ive decided not to risk it with SI Im sending it back and getting a geforce 4 of some flavour, cheap and cheerful and will keep me going until i need to upgrade the rest of my PC.

Im sure they will fix the issues soon enough but until then..........

efour

O

old.Xarr

i've been using my 9700pro on all sorts of games (including daoc) since november 2002. it hasn't given me one problem since. just use all the latest catalyst drivers and your good to go.

O

old.Anpu

Re: :O)

Originally posted by mid_Efour
Starange you have the same cloak texture problem as me with the latest 40.xx Nividia drivers. A white cloak with a red V (my guild cloak) looks kinda pinkish in places, like as you say its trying to blend it, some shaded areas are also abit fubar.

Turn off anisotropic filtering and texture sharpening.

/Anpu

J

Javai

Ok asked my bf to get me a new graphics card for SI and he ordered a Radeon 9700 Pro from Crucial. No problems with lockups or fps BUT the landscape looked as if it had measels (big red dots) which disappeared after you approacged them, turned off the anisotropic thingie that was suggested in the thread and I got rid of the measels but generated the guild cloak problem - any other suggestions (I couldn't see where to turn of texture sharpening only to adjust it down and that results in either the measels coming back or the game crashing on loading).

(I can adjust both Direct3D and OpenGl - I assumed it was Direct 3d?)

O

old.Anpu

Texture sharpening is an option for gforce cards, dunno bout radeons since i only have a gf3 :p
Chances are the new NetImmerse gfx engine will fix the blending problems.

/Anpu

R

Rathe.

If you're getting artifacts or lockups, restarts or freezes... just take the side of your case and try touching your card. (not while it's turned on, please :/)

That card gets DAMN hot. Look into cooling it somehow. I do concede that having paid £300 for it, it should work out of the box but... it doesn't unless you're really lucky and/or live in a pretty cold house. Can't see anyone but someone who knows what they're doing, or someone who has more than enough free cash to deal with the problem shelling out £300 for a card anyways.

Also, I had a Gigabyte 8SG667 board when I bought my card first off, nothing but instability issues. After trolling the rage3d forum for ages whining about how my rig was unstable I basically gathered from what people said that the SiS648 chipset that the 8SG667 uses is a heap of crap in conjunction with any 8x AGP compatible card, even when forced to run at 4xAGP in the bios. In a blind leap of faith, I shelled out for an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 based mobo, whacked in an Athlon XP chip that I had and after upgrading to the 1002 bios from the 1001g shipped one, I haven't had a single trouble aside from software crashes. weeeeee!

Got SI running nice and stable with no issues atm.

J

Javai

Running perfectly well now with SI - no red dots no problems with cloaks and seems stable (haven't had chance to give it the weekend 16 hour work out yet but done 4-5 hours).

However, it was completely instable in windows when I upgraded to 1gig of ram (win 98) - constant crashes just web browsing. Fixed by removing additional ram until I upgrade the OS

A

Alrindel

See this link for information on how to stabilize windows 9x with more than 512MB of RAM (mine went nuts when i went from 256 to 768 but after I fixed the vcache problem, it's very stable).

C

cHodAX

Radeon 9500 hacked to 9700 Pro speeds running on a VIA chipset, not had one graphics crad related crash in 6 weeks of playing everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread