Radeon 9600XT problems

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Just bought one of the above cards and having some really bad problems with it.
While playing daoc (or insert random game here) i get a few second system pause and get a VPU recover error saying that it stopped receiving instructions from the drivers.
Ive tried 3 different sets of drivers and they either all have the same error or crash the system totally (when vpu recover is disabled or non existant)
Searched the net and i cant find any fixes other than use catalyst 3.10 drivers which is one of the 3 sets of drivers ive tried and had no luck with.
Have no idea what to do next , might try a full format and reinstall everything or send the card back as im getting mightily pissed off at it.

Well been on loads of forums and tried everything i can , so its going back , what is more worrying is the fact that the card isnt listed on the hercules site in products anymore.

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
As daft as it sounds have you thought about your Power Supply Unit being the problem. Radeon 9500 and up pull some serious juice, and poor power supplies can fail to keep up.

BTW what motherboard do you have (and have you also updated the motherboard AGP drivers)?

I ask because when pricing a system for a friend I found this warning http://www.cclcomputers.biz/specs/motherboard/soltek/SLKT400C/spec.htm although the motherboard and card might be from different manufacturers, the underlying technology could be the same - ie same mobo chipset/gfx card chipset.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
My PSU is a 450w one i bought not so long ago (tis a decent brand afaik) cant remember what brand though.

Motherboard is A7V8X which uses the same chipest as the one you mentioned , updated to latest bios and agp driver.
Maybe some issues with the chipset but im currently waiting for RMA number to send it back.

Not paying £150 for a card that wont run decently :)

B

BlankFrank

Influenza,

I just built a system around an A7V8X-X and a Radeon 9600XT - very similar to yours.

Also similar to yours are the problems I've been having in 3D. I've updated to Cadalyst 4.2 and gotten the latest 4-in-1 for the VIA chipset, but still no luck.

I HAVE found that the system actually works quite well when I crank it down to 4X AGP, but that's a temporary fix.

What did you end up doing? Thanks.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Ending up putting AGP at 4x which seems to work for the most part (the shop wont take it back because they say the card is fine , twats) , but it will keep turning itself off at random times.
The light on the card will just go out and i have to reboot.
Stuck with a card i cant use and cant get my money back.

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
my card was causing no end of problems it turned out that it was the memory on it. my question is how did the shop test it? run a 3D max test (www.madonion.com) that will really put it through its paces.

also take your tower in with it fitted and show them :D

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
If you really want to confuse the shop assistant, reinstall the latest WHQL certified drivers (3.10?), then:

start > run > dxdiag > display tab > run the Direct3d and Directdraw tests > save all information > print out the .txt file

and take it with you :)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Wierd, I got a A7V8X and an 9600XT and only had the error once.
I am running catalist 4.1, dx 9.0b, latest hypirion(via 4in1) under win XP.
Reinstall off windows might be a good idee.

Musashi

Fledgling Freddie
Check that you have Fast Writes enabled on your system as the 9600 series seem to have a design flaw which makes them unstable if Fast Writes is disabled.

Dev1l

Fledgling Freddie
I have a 9800 XT and have been getting the same errors after reinstalling the OS..

I seem to have it sorted now with it still at X8..

in the BIOS I set the board to Optimal rather than turbo,

then in the chip settings I changed the graphics aperture from 128 to 256 (as is on the card) this seems to have cleared all the problems so far..

I'm still testing this, though it seems stable now.

the Games seem to run smoother as well :D

G

Gawf2004

a few months have passed ... did u ever sort your problem out with the 9600xt?

Sheph

Fledgling Freddie
Influenza said:
Just bought one of the above cards and having some really bad problems with it.
While playing daoc (or insert random game here) i get a few second system pause and get a VPU recover error saying that it stopped receiving instructions from the drivers.
Ive tried 3 different sets of drivers and they either all have the same error or crash the system totally (when vpu recover is disabled or non existant)
Searched the net and i cant find any fixes other than use catalyst 3.10 drivers which is one of the 3 sets of drivers ive tried and had no luck with.
Have no idea what to do next , might try a full format and reinstall everything or send the card back as im getting mightily pissed off at it.

Well been on loads of forums and tried everything i can , so its going back , what is more worrying is the fact that the card isnt listed on the hercules site in products anymore.

This is a heat problem inside the computer. Get the general temp down somehow :)

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Buying a new comp fixed it :p

But the main problem was with the motherboard , supposedly not fully supporting 8x agp and having problems with radeon cards.
Motherbaord was Asus A7V8X at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom