radar thread on dev boards - please dont destroy my game

F

Flimgoblin

someone on the dev boards posted that they downloaded some radar program and spotted lots of other people using it (by their behaviour)

for all we know it's the author of the program trying to pimp sales ;)

A

Archeon

They do, but they don't make the names public. Which is a shame, would prove GOA are doing somthing about the situation. I think they did it once actually. Dunno why the stopped though

C

-chancer-

i came across 3 albs using it an i didnt get there damn names :(

buffbut was hiddne IN a tree facing a zone wall they run straight upto the tree from the other side and whack whack dead mmmmh i checked after when the bb was dead and only when i went close could i see her so somthing sucked a bit there

T

trigali

Well, it's a bug abuse to hide in a tree anyhow...

F

Flimgoblin

depends if they were in 'nearest target' range... if not then that's well dodgy.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Its not abuse to hide in a tree, its only abuse when you cannot be targetted, the 3 realms are full of trees, and most ppl use them for cover ffs.

I agree with the name and shame, but only when the evidence is also shown, seen it on the VN boards a couple of times, mainly due to the offender whining, then he gets caught with his pants down hehe

C

case-rigantis

Originally posted by -chancer-
i came across 3 albs using it an i didnt get there damn names :(

buffbut was hiddne IN a tree facing a zone wall they run straight upto the tree from the other side and whack whack dead mmmmh i checked after when the bb was dead and only when i went close could i see her so somthing sucked a bit there

lmao

S

Solid

not quite Trigali, its bug abuse to not be able to be killed using terrain geometry, but his/her buffbot was killed and so was not abusing that rule.

D

dakeyras

AFAIK there is only 1 reliable way to detect radar users and that is through the use of 'ghosts'.

The problem with that is that the player must be under suspicion and their behaviour actively monitored to see if, over a period of time, they constantly react to 'players' that aren't really there.

No way to randomly sweep for radar users unless GOA were to commit massive resources.

May be wrong but it is a problem that won't go away until it is made more public by a bit of naming and shaming.

N

Nightchill

Originally posted by dakeyras
AFAIK there is only 1 reliable way to detect radar users and that is through the use of 'ghosts'.

The problem with that is that the player must be under suspicion and their behaviour actively monitored to see if, over a period of time, they constantly react to 'players' that aren't really there.

No way to randomly sweep for radar users unless GOA were to commit massive resources.

hm, surely, as suggested in the VNboard post, they just need to spawn an "enemy" outside of clipping range. take names of all who beeline for it. remove it, then make another pop up elsewhere. if the same people go for that one....

granted, it could only be one person in the group but wouldn't be hard for Goa to log group chat for a few days would it?

T

trigali

Originally posted by Solid
not quite Trigali, its bug abuse to not be able to be killed using terrain geometry, but his/her buffbot was killed and so was not abusing that rule.

I stand corrected.

/bow.

And may I point out that my post was done in good faith. The 'ffs' were a bit superfluous in my humble opinion.

K

klavrynd

name, shame & fuck the cheating bastards

imo ~~

C

censi

All chat on DAOC is logged.

They probably search these logs on a daily basis for keywords to.

Thats how most peeps are caught.

Dont expect them to get GM's to manually go placing ghosts all the time its far to time consuming.

Come on, they dont even have the resource to sort out MAJOR bugs in the game for literraly months/years. You really think they gonna have a dedicated anti cheating resource. Maybe there were a few once apon a time on the US servers but on the whole thats just a myth that Mythic didnt object to being promoted on the ground that it deters most cheaters.

M

mid-sinister

Add my name to the list for vote to get goa to do something about radar users.

P

Pixie.Pebr

Originally posted by mid-sinister
Add my name to the list for vote to get goa to do something about radar users.

You can only be on one list at a time and your name is currently on the "Exploiters of hole in zonewalls that went into Albion and ganked greycons in Salisbury Plains".
Sorry, can't add you to another list just now.

J

Jace

Leave it to GOA / Mythic / God etc to sort out cheats, public naming and shaming rarely achieves anything.

It's very easy for people to decide that soemone else is cheating because they got killed etc and often hard for said person to even consider any other possibilities.

e.g - I killed someone hiding in a tree and was subsequently accused of cheating cause they were completely hidden. Thing is what the person didn't see is how far their character's realm title was sticking out either side of the tree.

R

razorboy

I think this has been done before on excalibur. I remember someone posting a thread about some strange mob/orb in pennine mountains, and someone replied it was a way to detect radar users.

So I think goa tries to do something about it, but it's prolly hard ....

M

mid-sinister

You can only be on one list at a time and your name is currently on the "Exploiters of hole in zonewalls that went into Albion and ganked greycons in Salisbury Plains".

--------------------------

You obviously dont know how I got in then.

K

Khalen

You wouldn't believe the amount of people who use the radar thing even on euro... and stupidst thing is GOA can't do shit without proof and that's the hardest part because some solly screenshot or any other info doesn't seem to be enough...

A

Aravis

To be fair to Sinister, whilst the grey ganking was a bit out of order he got in fair and square by stealthing past the guards. And it gave us a bit of excitement on SP so he's pretty much forgiven ;)

O

old.Zeikerd

The solution is to encrypt the data stream. Tunnel it through ssl and allthough it will slow down the system a bit it won't be a problem with newer computers comming out every 2 months.

C

censi

The solution is to encrypt the data stream. Tunnel it through ssl and allthough it will slow down the system a bit it won't be a problem with newer computers comming out every 2 months.

SSL uses key/certificate type authentication, 1 at the client site, 1 at the server site, 1 at secure remote SSL site. Its no good for encoding large constant data streams.

Hard drive scanning (with disclaimer) is totally the easiest way to stop hackers (ala OSI and Counter strike). Sure they can disguise the hack program and move it around when you introduce the pre launch scan, but they always have to do this on the back foot of Mythic introducing these scans. It would stop 95% of cheaters immedietly.

T

Tranquil-

And if the scan finds something, disable the CDkey.

O

old.Zeikerd

Originally posted by censi
SSL uses key/certificate type authentication, 1 at the client site, 1 at the server site, 1 at secure remote SSL site. Its no good for encoding large constant data streams.

Hard drive scanning (with disclaimer) is totally the easiest way to stop hackers (ala OSI and Counter strike). Sure they can disguise the hack program and move it around when you introduce the pre launch scan, but they always have to do this on the back foot of Mythic introducing these scans. It would stop 95% of cheaters immedietly.

The best radar tools run on linux routers between the DAoC machine and the internet, you can't detect those programs with some harddrive scanning. Also, that harddrive scanning system didn't work for CS either.
There are encryption systems that can't be hacked by some 3th party program. The key's can be hidden for the user and other programs.

S

Shike

Originally posted by Nightchill
hm, surely, as suggested in the VNboard post, they just need to spawn an "enemy" outside of clipping range. take names of all who beeline for it. remove it, then make another pop up elsewhere. if the same people go for that one....

granted, it could only be one person in the group but wouldn't be hard for Goa to log group chat for a few days would it?

who says you have to use groupchat? voicecom? :/

S

Shike

oh and active hired ppl that are set to do nothing but track down radarabusers is probably the best thing to do it I think.

Spawn random people here and there and if a group "bees" for it, ban whole feckin group imo. You can probably judge from a /g if the group do know if the GL is using Radar or not. If its quiet=voice=whole group knows, if its a normal /g-chat then leader of the group that leads directions is a radarabuser. Simple really. Some common sense and active employees would solve it pretty quick I think.

P

Pixie.Pebr

Originally posted by mid-sinister

--------------------------

You obviously dont know how I got in then.

Ah, right.
It was during the days of underpaid BK guards.
My apologies for making that misstake, not that it undos what you did in any way whatsoever.
It was still exploiting of a bug.

I just find it funny every time you post in a discussion about cheating/bugexploiting and I feel compelled to remind people you know of these things first hand.

With that in mind and to return to the topic at hand...
I am all for name and shame and perma-ban the bastards.
Regardless of them being radar-users, bug-exploiters, whatnot.

If you are incapable of playing a game fairly, getting such a kick out of winning that it [to you] justifies cheating, then you do not belong.
Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom