Racial profiling bad...ok...but!

Oysterboy

Fledgling Freddie
Although it might be a good idea in theory, I don't think segregated prisons would work. What would you do with the people of mixed race? Make a prison for each mix?
I don't think most of the violence in prisons happen because of race hatred anyway. Prisons are like a micro-cosmos of the outside world, it's just that it's quite a bit more violent and regulated - the latter because it has to be to protect us on the outside.

I guess some of you guys who live in cities or large towns, have noticed that immigrants tend to find places to live near other immigrants from their home-country or culture? It's only natural in my opinion. I would do that too, if I moved to another country. Especially if the culture I moved into was very different from what I had back home.
It's the same in prisons, I think. People will befriend other people who are like themselves, before they start befriending others.

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
i dont understand why we dont use prisoners as slave labour. someone needs to devise something for them to make and we can sell it. will work out cheaper than running an east asian sweat shop im sure.
imagine a nike sponsored prison where they make the shoes, rather than some child labour sweatshop in china.... i quite like the idea :p

A form of this already occurs in America. The prisons contract out cheap labour to corporations. The huge criminalization of the American youth (particularly blacks and hispanics) with such things as the ridiculously high prison sentence for crack (a poor mans drug) compared to coaine (a rich mans drug) means the prisons are full to bursting of this slave labour.

It's an absolutely horrible idea.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
I am against the idea of seperating them. While it will decrease violence in prisons perhaps, it hinders the mainfunction, the most important function that prison SHOULD have (I am not saying it is excellent at it now), which is to make the prisoners able to be re-entered into society as functional members, who abide the law.
Creating a group mentality inside the prison will just hinder them into later getting along with people whom they used to be split from due to the seperation.
I will rather 10 violent situations occuring inside a prison between in-mate who all broke the law than have 1 violent situation where an ex-con attacks someone law abiding outside prison.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
A form of this already occurs in America. The prisons contract out cheap labour to corporations. The huge criminalization of the American youth (particularly blacks and hispanics) with such things as the ridiculously high prison sentence for crack (a poor mans drug) compared to coaine (a rich mans drug) means the prisons are full to bursting of this slave labour.

It's an absolutely horrible idea.

Its sounds horrible when u use the word "slave".
It sounds logical if we named it in the line of "community activities" and were completly under laws and control by the Human Rights Organizations. Were not talking here about SingSing and mining, or about that superb film with Paul Newman, "Cool Hand Luke".

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i dont understand why we dont use prisoners as slave labour. someone needs to devise something for them to make and we can sell it. will work out cheaper than running an east asian sweat shop im sure.
imagine a nike sponsored prison where they make the shoes, rather than some child labour sweatshop in china.... i quite like the idea :p

i am absolutely against that, manual labour and slave labour are 2 completely different things

they should have a work/benefit system where if you work you get certain benefits and/or money stored until you are released.
For example if you work for a day you get TV privaleges, if you dont you dont get said privalege

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't think most of the violence in prisons happen because of race hatred anyway. Prisons are like a micro-cosmos of the outside world, it's just that it's quite a bit more violent and regulated - the latter because it has to be to protect us on the outside.

It's not race hatred, it's just gangs against gangs, but it's because of different races that they more easily gather up in gangs. They have to, to survive, to get with people and if they get with people, they get with their own kind.

About "losing touch with reality" because of not hanging about with different races, well, you know as much as i do, how much a white criminal hangs about with a muslim in the real world. As it is, they are now FORCED to live in the same area and it causes problems in my book.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
It's not race hatred, it's just gangs against gangs, but it's because of different races that they more easily gather up in gangs. They have to, to survive, to get with people and if they get with people, they get with their own kind.

About "losing touch with reality" because of not hanging about with different races, well, you know as much as i do, how much a white criminal hangs about with a muslim in the real world. As it is, they are now FORCED to live in the same area and it causes problems in my book.

this may be true but what makes you think it will be any better when they arent?
THere is always going to be rival factions, they are allowed to do what they want because they have bugger all else to do.
Idle people = trouble
Why do you think they have drill's in the army (when they march around in formation, not one's you use to make holes)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
this may be true but what makes you think it will be any better when they arent?

It wouldn't make the problem go away, but i THINK it could lower the problem. Not at all sure about it, but something in the brain tells me that it would 'cause the people to feel more at "home" when you're surrounded with similar people.

It's a gene thing, rasicm is in the genes(discussing it in general too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom