RA Review

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Aldrick said:
Finally, with all alb/hib whining to make all chars equal we finally get whats really needed to make rvr equal if all classes are equal. This is a big nerf on alb melee and i think we will hear alot of whining and /quit from some ppl :)

actually i encourage making things the same, no game can ever be truly fair unless both have equal everything

well they can in theory... but in a game as big as this one, without any real testing, and with devs like mythic, THEY CANT

however even tho things would be ultimately balanced when every realm is the same save for the graphics, it will still depend on luck mostly (having abilities up or not, resists on critical moments etc), since this game has a cap at how good you can play...

Kained_again

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
since this game has a cap at how good you can play...

I disagree. A well balanced group that has practiced rvr a lot together will always beat a duplicate group who havnt.

While the skills may seem the same, there is a big difference between having an ability, and being able to read the battle - knowing exactly when and where to use it for maximum effect

One thing is for sure, it will stop a lot of 'my RA is better than your RA' crap on these forums (middyland is definatly the 'easy' level atm though :flame: )

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Kained_again said:
I disagree. A well balanced group that has practiced rvr a lot together will always beat a duplicate group who havnt.

While the skills may seem the same, there is a big difference between having an ability, and being able to read the battle - knowing exactly when and where to use it for maximum effect

not really, it kinda becomes like a real time strategy game in the end... there will be a 'perfect play' level, you lose because you made a mistake, not because he was in fact faster or more intelligent or anything...

you do not always have the option to react accordinglingy to that which you 'read' in that battle, since there are some tactics (procedures) which you have to follow and if everyone would react on their own it would be a automatic loss (edit: that was a stupid typo!!)

ive seen people playing perfect and still losing, people that didnt waste a single moment of their time in combat and executed every action perfectly, however, in a game which rolls the dice for you there is always less personal 'skill' involved

in those games that require speed (like some shooters) it is kinda obvious WHY someone won: because he was simply faster

in a game like this one you can always tell why someone lost, its not hard to see the mistakes someone makes in this game: people sticking to the wrong target, CC'ers not interrupting, people not using instas right, people multitasking in windows till the moment the battle starts which causes a slight delay in their actions

in games like this, its about what you did wrong, not about what you did right, since as long as you do it right you dont have to worry about anything cuz you have no control of anything beyond that...

also i must add that lag(ging persons) or a screen freeze can be terrible disorienting during rvr, making it much more likely to make a mistake in your 'perfect play'

Speeedy

Fledgling Freddie
I'm all for everyone having the same RAs to go for.... but, I was always under the assumption that some of the RAs were given out to balance CC in the game, i.e. give everyone a chance against stungard :m00:

Or maybe they might give everyone the same Mezz/Stun abilities?

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
It's good to see Mythic making a big change like this...
If they're prepared to go further and completely redesign some classes... the game might survive the threat of WoW.

Make Det less powerfull and give it to all tanks... so I can finally see a Paladin gank squad with 8x Healchant and 8x FH :p

+ Notice the part about free RAs being given at certain levels... This might mean clerics will get Bof(lv1?) for free at RR5... and maybe something like MCL1 at lv35 Rejuv spec(or Mota4 at lv50 Enhance :p)... or whatever. In any case, it should free up alot of RPs for most classes and let them define their character quicker. If Mythic play this right, it'll even the gap between high RR gank-squads and low level groups.

snoz

Loyal Freddie
It sounds a nice idea but if all melee classes get det 5 even the hybrids i think it could make cc kind of useless in rvr but that can lead to more fun fights just the people who play the cc classes feel like quitting :/ oh well see how it goes.

FRIARS WITH DETERMINATION 5 BUBBLE xD (as if, heh determination will probably get nerfed :p )

Yep, Best thing they could do is nerf det down to det 3 or smt accross the board and make available to everyone apart from seers still. Valewalker and Reaver fotm groups ... ow scary.

blackshadow

Fledgling Freddie
ns/infils prepare u will get Shadowrun ! Uber :m00:

sorry couldn't resist..
sounds good tbh , atleast i'm giving it a chance.

Aldrick

Fledgling Freddie
Speeedy said:
I'm all for everyone having the same RAs to go for.... but, I was always under the assumption that some of the RAs were given out to balance CC in the game, i.e. give everyone a chance against stungard :m00:

Or maybe they might give everyone the same Mezz/Stun abilities?
hahhahahahahaha, so albs get sos and bof because mids have ae stun that stuns tanks for 1 sec :) we can switch that if u want.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
not really, it kinda becomes like a real time strategy game in the end... there will be a 'perfect play' level, you lose because you made a mistake, not because he was in fact faster or more intelligent or anything...

you do not always have the option to react accordinglingy to that which you 'read' in that battle, since there are some tactics (procedures) which you have to follow and if everyone would react on their own it wat be a automatic loss

ive seen people playing perfect and still losing, people that didnt waste a single moment of their time in combat and executed every action perfectly, however, in a game which rolls the dice for you there is always less personal 'skill' involved

in those games that require speed (like some shooters) it is kinda obvious WHY someone won: because he was simply faster

in a game like this one you can always tell why someone lost, its not hard to see the mistakes someone makes in this game: people sticking to the wrong target, CC'ers not interrupting, people not using instas right, people multitasking in windows till the moment the battle starts which causes a slight delay in their actions

in games like this, its about what you did wrong, not about what you did right, since as long as you do it right you dont have to worry about anything cuz you have no control of anything beyond that...

also i must add that lag(ging persons) or a screen freeze can be terrible disorienting during rvr, making it much more likely to make a mistake in your 'perfect play'

I knew this in the back of my head but didnt realise it till you said it. Very logical and correct post :clap:.

Aenir

Fledgling Freddie
Kained_again said:

One thing is for sure, it will stop a lot of 'my RA is better than your RA' crap on these forums (middyland is definatly the 'easy' level atm though :flame: )

Want some cheese with that ?

:m00:

Littles

Loyal Freddie
I hope they nerf group purge or playing a sorcerer is gonna be pretty much pointless. Group purges(multiple?), single purges, reflect mezz item(in ToA)and detrmination. All on 10 - 20 minute timers??!!...hehe ill go reroll now.

"Just remezz after they group purge"

Thats easier said than done when you got 3+ pets coming at you at mach 10 which resist at an alarmingly higher rate than hibs/mids.

A

Aoln

Looks like higher RR groups are going to become EVEN MORE powerful than the rest.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
its a start of the balancing I guess... too powerfull a tool in hands of one, so redesigned lot of ra's is given out to all.

Shorter timers kinda means they'll be up at like every port.

People screamed for savage nerf, they have something new to whine about now...

btw, when will we know what classes will be getting?

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
3 grp purge - bof for a mid fotm grp then on lets say 15min timer? :eek7:
allright... xD

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Morchaoron said:

Perfect play? Lol, have you been reading too much of Incinerate's ramblinbs? ;p

Perfect play is a complete illusion.

There is no skill cap.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Old.Ilum said:
Perfect play? Lol, have you been reading too much of Incinerate's ramblinbs? ;p

Perfect play is a complete illusion.

There is no skill cap.

it is hard to face the truth but there is....

ofc with this i dont take the usual bugs in account like moving in such a manner savages can hit me 3 times in 1 minute while in melee range

and i have no clue who incinerate is...

in most games you can beat people just because you are faster and more clever (cuz you r0x)

but here you can still make the best maneuvers, and press the styles in the best order possible and use insta's on the best possible moments and lose without there being anything you could have done to win (other then using bugs), you cant swing your sword better then your weaponskill, you cant swing/cast faster then your speed, you cant do more damage then your spec, you cant evade better then the number of evade displayed on your char info bar

you can only execute your actions at the MOST effective way, get it ... MOST EFFECTIVE :p

just look at how you lose/win and you might realise it...

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Morchaoron said:
it is hard to face the truth but there is....

ofc with this i dont take the usual bugs in account like moving in such a manner savages can hit me 3 times in 1 minute while in melee range

and i have no clue who incinerate is...

in most games you can beat people just because you are faster and more clever (cuz you r0x)

but here you can still make the best maneuvers, and press the styles in the best order possible and use insta's on the best possible moments and lose without there being anything you could have done to win (other then using bugs), you cant swing your sword better then your weaponskill, you cant swing/cast faster then your speed, you cant do more damage then your spec, you cant evade better then the number of evade displayed on your char info bar

you can only execute your actions at the MOST effective way, get it ... MOST EFFECTIVE :p

just look at how you lose/win and you might realise it...

I understand some people can have this view of the game but when you do mybe you really haven't opened your eyes yet.

In a way the skill cap exist, it just isnt achievable by human beings. Or maybe it is. Chances are if you think you've reached capped skill you'reprobably overlooking important factors that you can utilize.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Old.Ilum said:
I understand some people can have this view of the game but when you do mybe you really haven't opened your eyes yet.

In a way the skill cap exist, it just isnt achievable by human beings. Or maybe it is. Chances are if you think you've reached capped skill you'reprobably overlooking important factors that you can utilize.

playing perfectly solo is very easy (winning is a different matter, a sb can play perfect vs me with a froststallion but he will lose anyway no matter how hard he tries, even if he was some sort of god irl he still would not be able to play better then the physics of the game allow it)

playing perfect with 2 is also do-able...

however... the main problem is playing perfect with 8, one mistake can mess up everything, and chances are very slim no-one will make a mistake (i see it happening all the time), its like walking a rope with 8 people, one falls all fall, perhaps not always in daoc, but at least making a mistake wont do the others much good, this is what high level rvr is all about right? all 8 people working together as effective as possible...

also a great help in playing well together is having the best possible communication, this can be achieved by using voicecom or playing on LAN, tho it is not absoutely required it severly reduces the number of mistakes made...

and then there are the 2 factors which you dont really control at all: lag & luck, nothing more annoying then a resist in a critical moment, someone critting and quadding on you just before you get healed, or the CC lagging away a nuke range and getting healed when he's about to die with /assist

sure usually i mess up aswell mainly cuz im multitasking in windowed mode, but hey walking in a low-quality golfcourse can get quite boring after a while :p

the best players would be 8 robot-like-humans who know how to play their class, and can keep their FULL attention on the game while playing... and no, usually i cant do that, but sometimes when i can keep my full attention things seem to be going alot better...

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Morchaoron said:
the best players would be 8 robot-like-humans who know how to play their class, and can keep their FULL attention on the game while playing... and no, usually i cant do that, but sometimes when i can keep my full attention things seem to be going alot better...

The problem is robot-like human beings rarely possess the ability to think outside the box. To improvise and take a new twist. I've seen robot-like people do everything perfect "by their books", and still lose to the player that has grasped a bigger concept of the game and has the ability to think as he go (and while doing so, do many mistakes that these robot-like people would frown upon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom