QW Rate

O

old.DaNig

What's a safe maximum "rate" to use on a 64k connect? I'm not using Qizmo btw.

Thx

H

HangTime

5000-5500 ish. with qizmo u can use 10000 nps

O

old.DaNig

Ta.

I finally figured out how the hell to use qizmo and connect from proxy to proxy etc and enable compression.

It seems to work pretty well atm.. I set me rate to 10000 and fps to 50 (instead of rate 5500 and fps 40 without qizmo) and my ping has dropped from 50 to 40.

I have had a couple of weird crashes while ussing qizmo tho, particularly on a packed ffa server e.g once my ping just went up to 999, my netgraph went berzerk and I couldn't disconnect, I just had to quit. Apart from that tho it seems to be going pretty well.

Seeing as the only reason I'm using Qizmo atm is coz of the compression and I doubt that I'll use any of the more advanced features in the near future, is it worth getting it registered? I know that the compression will be a little more efficient but I'm just wondering if the couple of crashes I've had are anything to do with the fact that I'm using it un-registered.

Thx in advance.

H

HangTime

50fps? on ISDN!?!

on isdn with compression there is no need to cap fps, use rate 10000 cl_maxfps 0.

incidentally the reason ure ping dropped from 50 to 40 going from 40fps-50fps is cos min ping=2000/fps on isdn, ie 2* the frame update time in ms (for some wierd reason it isnt 1000/fps like on hi bandwidth connections, eg janet/lan). at 50fps, u are placing a cap on how low ure ping can go, ie 40. apart from the fact that 72fps is much smoother and nicer once u get used to it, u should also see pings as low as 27, depending on isp/server/connection quality etc. even w/o compression isdn can hack 60fps

i know several ppl who had problems being kicked off the bw qizmo with the unregistered version, and occaisonally i get lockups like u mention with registered versiob. tbh i doubt there is a big diff in compression quality between reg/non-reg on isdn.

O

old.DaNig

Yeah 50fps on ISDN!! :) hehe
I've been playin on a modem for the last couple of years and capping the framerate has become a bit of a habit.

I thought that if I didn't cap my fps, no matter what rate I had, my ping would go thru the roof when there was a lot of action goin on. And anyway, I basically haven't got any other tweaks like gib/nail filter that would cut down on bandwidth, so I was just playin safe.

I've only had 2 of those lockups with Qizmo so far, so it's not really too much to bother about. Just wondering if it was just me. I'm still toying with the idea of reggin it, but I doubt I will now. Bit late in the game so to speak and like you said, wouldn't make much diff.

Anyways, thanks for the posts m8, much appreciated ;)

O

old.Pionir

Normally Rate controls bandwidth both client->server and server->client. Because QW sends a packet every time it draws a frame, rate controls framerate too. If you use cl_maxfps you can separate fps from download bandwidth, but this isn't generally a good idea and is why cl_maxfps wasn't in early versions of QW.

The only times it is a good idea to use cl_maxfps is if you have a very assymetric connection. e.g. if you have limited download bandwidth and large upload bandwidth, you can set cl_maxfps higher than your rate setting would allow., but this connect is rare.

Or you use proxy packet dropping - i.e. your client will draw 72fps (the maximum in qw) and send 72 packets/second to the proxy, but the proxy will dump some of them to reduce the bandwidth to whatever your connection is. I never saw the point of this but some people liked it.

You can also set the cl_maxfps to draw less frames than the rate would give, which is possibly desirable for a 56k modem.

I use rate 5800 on ISDN (which is 6.8k/s ish in system monitor) as it gives the maximum framerate in QW (72fps). In fact if you look at the source, if you set rate higher, you won't get anymore fps or client->server data, but the server will send you alot more data, which does help, which is why qizmo compression to give rate 10000 is good.

Of course if you have greater than 8k/s bandwidth you may as well leave rate 10000 and forget all the above :)

Incidentally, ping x framerate = 1 second

------------------
Pionir

O

old.DaNig

Thx ;)

I think I'll save out all the info in this thread for future reference. I don't think I'll ever totally grasp cl_maxfps/rate/ping relationship, but I'm gettin a better insight into it slowly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom