quick question about the cata release

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i had an idea, if my dad, who lives in France was to go and buy me a couple of copies of the game and email me the cd-keys and the client files would i be able to use them to patch the entire game, i know if you delete, say a random sound file or whatever it will dl it when you log on. Would this work?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Should do: with SI and TOA it was possible to download everything from patch server on release day assuming you had the correct details in update.dat.

Shouldnt be a problem, but if many people try it GOA would cry: itll be a fairly big download from what are likely to be overloaded patch servers to start with.

I seem to remember getting a slap from Requiel for suggesting someone try this when TOA was released ;)

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
I got cdkey from us for catacombs and replaced camelot.exe and update.dat in my toa folder, and it updated 900 megs then it ran smooth. Bad thing with this is that you have to dl 900(if you put in toa folder) megs or 2 gig(if you put in an empty folder). But if you want your cd key earlier it shouldn't be much of a problem since it won't take a weekend to dl it. :p

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Eva said:
I got cdkey from us for catacombs and replaced camelot.exe and update.dat in my toa folder, and it updated 900 megs then it ran smooth. Bad thing with this is that you have to dl 900(if you put in toa folder) megs or 2 gig(if you put in an empty folder). But if you want your cd key earlier it shouldn't be much of a problem since it won't take a weekend to dl it. :p
As far as I know it won't be possible to download the whole Catacombs client by patching it. If you just have the core files (camelot.exe, update.dat etc) and try to patch you'll be told that you're missing too many files and should reinstall. Patching from a ToA install however will work as long as you change the update.dat to the correct Catacombs version.

And no we don't recommend you do it on patch day. If you must do it at all, either do it beforehand or wait until the rush has subsided late Friday or early Saturday.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
ok, seeing as essentially it is the CD key we are buying (without it we cant play) what is the stance on getting hold of it from p2p/torrent sites?

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
ok, seeing as essentially it is the CD key we are buying (without it we cant play) what is the stance on getting hold of it from p2p/torrent sites?

its out there for download I use it for Ipvp server.. some website that jsut sells the key was letting u download it as well.. not sure if they still are.. ill have a look though my bookmark and see what I find..

Tiques

Fledgling Freddie
Well, if we dont want to overstress GOA patch server, why not patch US catacombs and then just repatch (smaller size) to EU version, when it come, if you are unable to get the retail version on the day?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
GimmlyTheDorf said:
Or you just wait like everyone else?.
Either thats a joke or you seriously underestimate what 1 day without the latest patch/expansion/whatever does to addicts :p

Sensible, but never going to happen for many folks

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
thing is, its not a 1 day wait, its a 2 week, 1 month wait.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
thing is, its not a 1 day wait, its a 2 week, 1 month wait.

How does that come about ? :)

Can't you get hold of it ?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
not if you live in the UK

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:

Cant see there beeing any legal hinderance for this, since its not illegal to install the game on several machines from the same cd's - how you get it to the other machines is up to you.

And especially, if youve ordered someone you know to buy you a copy of the game and he then transfers the files via a p2p network to you, you are meerly taking posession of the goods you have bought.

Note that this would not apply to games where the game is selfcontained in the install (as opposed to mmo's where you need a separate component to actually play and it can be argued that the install is meerly a gateway to access the game).

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
No it is not a 2 week/1 month wait. As has been explained several times the expansion is being released the 24th, will be available for sale on the 24th and even if you order it from a European retailer for shipping on the 24th as opposed to dealing with a UK company you'll still likely have it tuesday or wednesday the following week as friday is not a post holiday in most of Europe. Most large European retailers will ship to the UK so if you don't want to risk it order from one of them and make the language file changes which have been detailed in at least two different threads on the same basic topic.

Funkybunny

Banned
i did it on us.. got the camelot.exe and update.dat and downloaded the entire 2 gigs :) i can even do ya a big favour now if you pm me with yer mail and ill mail you the 2 files.. then you can download the us version and just repatch it to eu version as soon as its out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom