Questions about Guildwars for the ones in the know.

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
Well first of all let me start of by saying that I played the E3 for everyone event
thingy way back, in that event all chars started at level 20 and you could do missions etc
where new spells and items could drop.. But I monstly only played in the 5 on
5 arena.

Lately tho I have been pondering if I should get this game, and I
do realise that the version of the game I played back then probably has changed alot.
(beeing the alpha version and all)
Therefor I have been trying to read up on forums etc but its hard to grasp everything
w out having the game and so I have some questions:

1) I understand that there are 2 kinds of servers, a RP server and a PvP server,
from what Iv read you will start at maxlevel (20) at the PvP servers but you
have to level from level 1 on the RP servers... But other then that I have no
idea how they differ, does RP servers have arenas?, wich would you recomend
starting on etc.

2) Iv been reading some boards and it seemes that they introduced some spec
points allso (dont think they were implented when I tried the game).
Are you able to respec out of those?, do you spend them as you progress
or do you spend them all as you enter? can you respec? and do you get new
spells from specing or do you make you respective spells stronger, in short
what do they do?

thanks for reading ^^

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
When you roll a character, you get the choice to make it a strict PvP, or Roleplay character.

Roleplay characters start at level 1, they need to XP, do missions, unlock skills etc...

PvP chars start at level20, but their skill set is severely limited. You start with 8 basic abilities of your class(es). Though they can also use skills you've unlocked with your RP character. AFAIK the PvP characters can only use two arenas, the basic 4 on 4 or the tournament arena, they cannot visit any other zone.

Spec points are for your skill/spell lines, like Fire Magic or Hammers etc. Spec'ing in a line will raise the effect of all associated skills (like damage, or duration etc). Generally you only want to use skills from a line you've spec'd in!

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
To add to Escape:

Spec points were in back in the betas, they haven't really changed the system that I can see. You can "respec" extremely often. You have what are called Refund Points which limit just how fast you can do it but it's certainly not painful.

Spells/Skills you gain largely by doing Quests, purchasing or stealing (with a signet).

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
just bought it today and toyed around a bit.

Its what escape said. with the pvp option (not server) you can create a lvl 20 char with just a few skills, get your gear and start pvp in the arena. havent seen the tournament option.

the roleplaying part you indeed start at lvl 1 and need to gather skills and levels and the like. I just played for 2 hrs and the gathering skills and abilities is still somewhat vague for me. then again, i first played then read the manual, so i think it will be clearer when I play next time.

a big advantage is that you can switch servers anytime with the same char. Well, atleast at towns. Every adventuring area is an instance which is both an advantage and a disadvantage. You have an area for your self or your group (advantage) but you can't meet/group up with people while exping (disadvantage). groups need to be made inside the towns. Up to know my social contact ingame were at a minimum, this in contrary with daoc (my only other mmo) where people interacted more, especially in the beginning of the game. It was easier to get groups because you meet people while exping.

anyway, since i bought it and don't need to pay monthly fees i think i'll keep playing till I get bored. it is a veru interesting game for the regular gamer, and less for the hardcore gamer.

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Cavex ElSaviour said:
anyway, since i bought it and don't need to pay monthly fees i think i'll keep playing till I get bored. it is a veru interesting game for the regular gamer, and less for the hardcore gamer.

I dont know yet if youre right or wrong in that, but I think that the "good" guilds are quite hardcore gamers. ;)

Go tell the Korean guilds that ripped BWE weekend arenas the game are not interresting for them ;)

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
after playing it a few more days, i think you're right about the hardcore gamers.
still, it has more to offer to the regular gamers then daoc for instance.

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Daoc is "bigger" and over 3 year old and much more a MMORPG then GW is, of course it has more to offer. GW on the other hand has interresting aspects to, 1 of them not being 3 year old ;) An other one not having TOA :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom