Question: Wireless Networking

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Chaps (again!)

Another question for one and all... Does anyone have any experience with DAoC over a Wireless network? We're getting our access upgraded, and have a couple more computers to add to the network around the house, and are looking at going wireless (and to get rid of the mountains of Cat-5 cable all over the place!).

Someone elsewhere has said that there will be too much latency to be able to play correctly, if at all, but I am sure he's just being a misOG (Miserable Old Git) and not wanting to help.

So - anyone else play over Wireless network? We're getting a 1.5Mbps Cable Modem in the next week or two, and are currently looking at the Belkin 54g Access Point/PCI Cards.

Advice? Experience?

And for those that answered my question in the Radeon 9600 thread, thanks :) We settled on the 9800XT's which are very spiffy compared to the Ti4200s we had :D Thank you :)

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
the_hermit said:
Hey Chaps (again!)

Another question for one and all... Does anyone have any experience with DAoC over a Wireless network? We're getting our access upgraded, and have a couple more computers to add to the network around the house, and are looking at going wireless (and to get rid of the mountains of Cat-5 cable all over the place!).

Someone elsewhere has said that there will be too much latency to be able to play correctly, if at all, but I am sure he's just being a misOG (Miserable Old Git) and not wanting to help.

So - anyone else play over Wireless network? We're getting a 1.5Mbps Cable Modem in the next week or two, and are currently looking at the Belkin 54g Access Point/PCI Cards.

Advice? Experience?

And for those that answered my question in the Radeon 9600 thread, thanks :) We settled on the 9800XT's which are very spiffy compared to the Ti4200s we had :D Thank you :)

I have absolutly no experience in playing over Wireless internet, but we have a wireless LAN setup at my school (i use EVERY day), so i speak out of general LAN experience with Wireless and not DAoC experiences, but should be around the same

From now on, normal lan using caples will be called LAN and a Wireless system WLAN:

The speed used to be WAY to slow on WLAN to pull games good, 12mbit (or so) being MAX, but suddenly it got a bost recently and i THINK 109mbit is standard nowadays, so latency shouldn't be a problem, data transfer with old 10/100 LAN vs. 109WLAN is next to none-measureable.

Connecting up to a WLAN is also very easy, but not much easier than to connect to LAN if the cables are already there.

but here is the Major flaw, which is going to make me recordment you NOT to play using WLAN:

You get disconnected at random atleast once every 2 hours, mostly with just 30 mins intervals, as the wireless connection are very UNSTABLE, it is a signal quite like radio-waves, and if you have ever listened to a stationary radio, you will notice that sometimes they also have a second or 2 with alot of noise, as the signal is weak/away, this is the same and with Windows usually being 5-10 second about finding out the connection is back again and making it work probarly, you could easily either have HEAVY lag spikes when this happen and/or get disconnected each time, which will make any true gamer grow mad efter a few days with such a connection.

Well, hope this helps you m8 ;)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Been playing DAOC over WAN for the past 6 months. got 512K ADSL and running the wireless at 10mbps (cheap DLink wireless access point). Absolutely no difference at all from cable and far less hassle to use especially if you have a laptop :)

constantly run two PCs on it without any hassle.

On a side note I install/repair WANs in schools all the time, they're just as reliable as cabled connections once setup properly. Ignore Iceforge's comments it sounds like his schools one isnt ;) you should only ever be disconnected if the router and/or line has gone down or you've moved out of range of the WAP or you have a duff card.

Speed wise remember that you're connecting to the net at a far slower speed than even my old shitty WAP can manage.. so it's not a problem!

Edit: I also play UT2004 on this setup and there's no difference between my ping times when cabled/wireless. Worse case scenario I would expect a tiny increase in ping times (2-6ms) but no more unless you have some serious signal problems.

DrunkSkunk

Fledgling Freddie
got wireless network, never have problems like slow connection :)

oh those are 2.4gbit adapters i got, dunno the real speed but close to my previous cable thing speed.

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
I use a Belkin 54g PCI card and access port - all works fine, distance is about 15 metres, through 3 walls, 2 of them outer (its across a corridor and a courtyard). Even if you don't have a fantastic signal, its got to get pretty shitty to cap your net speed, as one of the above guys said. I don't get a 2 hour disconnection or anything like that. I'd reccommend getting an external aerial however - on an extension wire, this seemed to help a lot for me.

Good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom