Help Question for the cycle peeps

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Erm, I have a slight problem, I need to get the wheels off my bike and I can't get the fucking things off! Turns out it has locking wheel nuts (it looks like a five-sided allen key slot on one end and a knurled cone shape on the other), which, I'm reliably informed I should have a received a key for when I bought the bike, and I do remember a bag with various bits in, but I have no idea where it is. So, short of taking an angle grinder to them, any idea how I'll get the wheels off?

And anyone who says "find the bag", go fuck yourself.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
find the ba......oh right, i see

how about a piccy of said nut?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
eep tbh without the key you're kind of fucked Gaff. it's kind of the point of any anti-theft device to be difficult if you mess about with it :(

DaGaffer

eep tbh without the key you're kind of fucked Gaff. it's kind of the point of any anti-theft device to be difficult if you mess about with it :(

Yeees, I was kind of expecting that...

wheel1.JPGwheel2.JPGwheel3.JPG

rynnor

Rockhound
Ebay? I'm pretty sure you can get the keys cheaply on there if you can match it to your bike.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Great pics Gaff, jeez :)

tbh it *looks* like you will really need the key: to me it looks like the non-key side does not offer an interface for a tool, so the key side will loose enough of the skewer to allow fingers to do the rest (or words to that effect).

That Allen-Key silver thing is not your skewer or axle release Gaff, it's your derailleur bolt. Don't mess with that.

DaGaffer

Great pics Gaff, jeez :)

tbh it *looks* like you will really need the key: to me it looks like the non-key side does not offer an interface for a tool, so the key side will loose enough of the skewer to allow fingers to do the rest (or words to that effect).

That Allen-Key silver thing is not your skewer or axle release Gaff, it's your derailleur bolt. Don't mess with that.

Missus took the pictures while I was on the way to the bike shop. Yes I know its the dérailleur bolt, the axle bit is the black thing below it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Find a similar-sized allen key, hammer it in so it's jammed, then undo it. Throw away the stupid locking spindle and replace with a quick release.

DaGaffer

did the bike shop offer any joy?

No, but I think I might have found the generic version of the skewers; its called a "Trans-X Security Skewer" and it seems to have the same pentagonal key as the Marin system. Tenner on Amazon so its worth a punt.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
or just get a screw remover from machinemart/the intertubes?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd do what Tom says. Nobody is going to steal your wheels.

They'll steal the whole bike, yes, but they ain't going for your wheels unless they're *very* expensive.

DaGaffer

I'd do what Tom says. Nobody is going to steal your wheels.

They'll steal the whole bike, yes, but they ain't going for your wheels unless they're *very* expensive.

I have regular quick release skewers sat in a drawer; I've just never needed the old wheels off until now.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself, I'm sure I saw a guy stealing a bike this morning; but I wasn't sure enough to confront him and its irritating me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm a bit annoyed with myself, I'm sure I saw a guy stealing a bike this morning; but I wasn't sure enough to confront him and its irritating me.

Aye? What was he doing? Sawing through a chain or summat?

Don't beat yourself up either way m8.

DaGaffer

Aye? What was he doing? Sawing through a chain or summat?

Don't beat yourself up either way m8.

No, saw him from a distance and he looked like he was struggling with his bike lock, but then he sort of ripped it away from the bike, but then he really quickly jumped on the bike and rode off, wobbling, and it was only then that I thought "you're the wrong size, dressed the wrong way for that bike, and you've clearly not ridden it before". It was the mix of the that shifty Dublin skanger look and a pretty expensive looking bike (I think it was a Giant - looked like a fairly fancy frame), and he just looked...wrong. But you know how it is...not quite certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom