Question about University!

Luribomb

Fledgling Freddie
You shouldn't care about your age, saw a 56 year old together with another 40 year old here at uni. Most have to double their first year anyway ;)

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
At uni it doesn't really matter how old you are. I have friends at uni who are 5 years older than me (not being ageist) they took years out, did some college stuff or worked for a few years.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
The Clearing vacancy service finished on 30 September 2004.

I think I've missed the boat, Milkshake. :(

Tris- I've never heard of a vce, I've only ever done GCSE's and As levels...is a Vce a college thing?

RB - Are there any courses at Exeter with plenty of free places, do you know? :)

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I believe that was for last year :)

Honestly mate, Clearings is like pretty much *just* before the new Uni year starts.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Ah okay, better keep my eyes peeled then. :D So around June/July time? That'd be great, cus I'd have finished 6th form by then and be completely free of any restraints. Should have me A level in Eng Lit and As Media too.
Everything is coming up rosies!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
milkshake maybe you can answer this for me. i need to do a preliminary course before the degree. on my ucas application but i apply for both courses or just the preliminary course?

Tilda

Milkshake isn't totally accurate about the whole clearing thing. If you apply with normal people, get offered a spot, and send your UCAS form back saying "yes I want this as my primary and this other uni as my reserve" and then you get the results that you uni's asked from you, your stuck in a binding contract to go to that uni. Yes im sure some people beg and grovel their way out of it, but in general its pretty hard to do, so if you want to do clearing then you'd have to do it without having picked a primary and secondary choice. imho, clearing is a bad idea, it gives you no gaurentee that you'll get any spot at all. And many of the more popular courses are likley to be full anyway.
Mobius, assuming you can decide on a course, i'd find the uni's you want to go to, phone their admissions tutors for the department you want to go to, and then if they say you'd be ok, apply through UCAS. Clearing is supposed to be a kinda last resort if you seriously fuck up your grades. If you get offeres back from UCAS you pick a first choice and a backup choice(backup usually with lower grade requirements). Then if you get the grades for your first choice, if you dont, hopefully you'll get the grades for your 2nd choice, if you dont get the grades for your 2nd choice then you go into clearing.

Mobius, clearing starts on results day, so you'll get your results in the morning and then spend the afternoon (they fill up FAST!) and whats left of the morning ringing round the unis.

tbh I think its a bad idea basing your uni choice around a girl. I'd pick a course you find fun, and then find the uni's that are rated highly for it, but are within your reach.

Going for a course with spots at a specific uni just because a girl you like goes there, is a bad idea, when you get to uni, you'll most likley stay friends but imo it'll be unlikley something will happen as shes going to want to meet all the other 20,000 guys around ;) When you get to uni you'll probably meet someone new you like too, so I wouldnt put all your eggs in one basket and hang them on this girl.

You seem to be adopting a mature approach to your results etc, but a pretty silly one (no offence to you) with regards to your choices of uni. it seems a bit contradictory to me to say "oo im mature im going to work my arse off and get the grades" and then say "but im going to go whereever fitbird #1 goes because im going to marry her" <shrug> mabey its me.

Tilda

tris-

tbh tilda i thought he was joking as soon as he said he would stalk her, but meh :p

Tilda

Mobius said:
My future wife (she doesn't know it yet) is going there, <snip> Hopefully I'll be able to go to Exeter in 2006, and we'll meet and it will be like a movie. :D

Leggy, it was this bit that gave me the impression that Mobius would go to a specific uni just to be with this girl, which imo is a bad idea.

tris-

yes suppose i agree. we are talking about mobius here, lol -

Mobius.jpeg

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not seriously going to pick a Uni based on a girl. I do really like her, but I wouldn't go that far (Well I would, but I doubt I'd get into that Uni anyways. :)) + She knows I like her, but won't even speak to me, we've been in the same class for 18 months and nothings happened, so I'm just gonna leave it. :)

Anyways, at the very maximum I can only get an A grade English Literature A level, and an A grade Media Studies As level, of course I highly doubt this so I'm looking at 1 C grade A level, and 1 C grade As level. I highly doubt this will get me into any universitiy, so it looks as if I'm set to stay at 6th form for another year. I've learnt me lesson about fucking about now. Have to get more grades next year, then go to Uni I guess...

Tris- - DELETE THAT PHOTO YOU ****!!!

tris-

seriously mobius, you can get on an extened course of somekind, atleast your then in uni and not 6th form.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Mobius, surely your college has some careers department where you should be able to get some advice?

Might be worthwhile speaking to an advisor who will know what to do, instead of just relying on advice in a forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom