quakenet?

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone able to connect to quakenet at all today? Or is Nottingham Uni connection just being as useful as a chocolate fireguard as usual?

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Yarr mmust have :( Either that or some underpaid monkey has dicked with the firewall again. Thanks The-Don.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Oh bollocks, they've turned the firewall into a digital recreation of the Berlin wall :/

Anyone recommend a good way to circumvent it? Java IRC? Trillian? Anything like that? Remember I'm a biologist, I'm a bit of a twat at clever PC things :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
granny said:
Oh bollocks, they've turned the firewall into a digital recreation of the Berlin wall :/

Anyone recommend a good way to circumvent it? Java IRC? Trillian? Anything like that? Remember I'm a biologist, I'm a bit of a twat at clever PC things :)
Im using Trillian, which dosnt require admin access to install and works over our uber firewall in Houston.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Can't even get that to work, just refuses to connect to anything :( I think the combination of an enforced webproxy and a firewall from Hell is defeating everything :/

Will

/bin/su
You'll need a way to make your outgoing connection on a different port. A bouncer, shell account, or a web-browser based IRC client (hosted on your own web-space), are your best three options.

The-Don

Loyal Freddie
I've managed to defy Uni's firewall and the nazi-like port blocking by ssh'ing out to a shell box and then running irssi on the shell. It works fine but I bet it's only a matter of time until they block ssh'ing etc

Will

/bin/su
You can change the SSH port if that happens, to something they can't block.

If you can get the access out to change it...

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
You'll need a way to make your outgoing connection on a different port. A bouncer, shell account, or a web-browser based IRC client (hosted on your own web-space), are your best three options.

Are any of them easy to do?

RedVenom

Banned
irc.b0rk.co.uk:8080

rpaste.gif

Will

/bin/su
granny said:
Are any of them easy to do?
Option three is the easist, but you'll need your own web-hosting. Have a look on Sourceforge for suitable packages. I'd seach for "java irc browser" and go from there.

Though RV might have the answer for you. Give that a go and see.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Just reading through this, I would also like to use IRC @ work, would trillian show up with the IT Admins if I used it?

granny

Fledgling Freddie
WTF the forum ate my posts!

Hmm ok, I'll try again...

1) irc.b0rk.co.uk:8080 - didn't work. Neither does port 80 which someone else suggested, neither does port 1500 which I see on quakenet.org is supported by b0rk. Tried a bunch of different servers on a bunch of different ports, nothing will work :(

2) SSH looks like it might work but I have no idea how to go about setting that up. I take it I need a shell account somewhere right? And what SSH will do is give me a terminal window that will tunnel through the firewall and allow remote (and secure) access to the machine I have a shell account on yeah? So do I need to know how to use linux at all?

If I do use SSH can I use it to direct other traffic as well? A few other sites have stopped working too - I can't get into the official SWG forums for instance. MSN messenger seems to still work fine (maybe they just haven't blocked that?) but ICQ is a no-go (not that I use it anymore, was just testing).

Finally... does anyone have a machine I could have a shell account on? :p

Cyfr

Banned
*Would also like to know how to do this for msn schooling :)*

Will

/bin/su
granny said:
SSH looks like it might work but I have no idea how to go about setting that up. I take it I need a shell account somewhere right? And what SSH will do is give me a terminal window that will tunnel through the firewall and allow remote (and secure) access to the machine I have a shell account on yeah? So do I need to know how to use linux at all?

If I do use SSH can I use it to direct other traffic as well? A few other sites have stopped working too - I can't get into the official SWG forums for instance. MSN messenger seems to still work fine (maybe they just haven't blocked that?) but ICQ is a no-go (not that I use it anymore, was just testing).

Finally... does anyone have a machine I could have a shell account on? :p
You need a shell account somewhere. You will need to know how to use FreeBSD, if you want a shell from my good self.

I have no idea how to do SSH tunnelling, never had a need, and ICQ may be tricky from a command line.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
You need a shell account somewhere. You will need to know how to use FreeBSD, if you want a shell from my good self.QUOTE]

Hmm ok, that's probably that idea out the window then, I hardly even know what FreeBSD *is* let alone how to use it :p

Interesting development... I was randomly trying different IRC servers and managed to connect to -blargh.fl.us.xnet.org- but got the message "Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead". Does this indicate some kind of DNS problem with my connection and is that why most ICR servers won't connect? This was on port 6667 too so that port clearly isn't blocked by the firewall here.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
i used a BNC from will once. Got him k-lined by mistake, the only time i've ever been k-lined at that too.

Dont think he's forgiven me still :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom