Advice Quadcopter

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So I'm looking at buying one and I'm after advice on a decent model for £100-£150.

Any ideas?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What do you want to do with it? I mean, you can get teeny little quadcopters for not very much money at all (like £30) but they're not much good for anything except learning how it all works.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah start cheap, unless you need something big for Amazon delivery work or something. Camera stuff(usual more then just flying hobby) can probably be done with smaller ones even better.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
What do you want to do with it? I mean, you can get teeny little quadcopters for not very much money at all (like £30) but they're not much good for anything except learning how it all works.

I want to have fun with it. I want to take it down the park and mess around with my mates and I want to fix a decent resolution camera to it and get some aerial shots of the countryside around here.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't know that you can get one for 150 notes that will allow you to put on a "decent resolution camera". Some of the ickle ones have little cameras built into them but they are nothing to write home about (5 megapixel I think I saw and most likely a crappy little sensor, look up the Hubsan X4). You'll struggle to get something that can carry a GoPro (for example), which is the lightest "decent camera", for a lot less than £300 (plus the transmitter, plus the cost of the GoPro - although the GoPro Hero4 is out now so you're bound to find cheap Hero3s around).
Then add the cost of FPV (First Person View - seeing what the camera sees on a screen attached to the transmitter so you can line up shots rather than just eyeballing it from the ground and guessing) and it starts getting pricier and pricier.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
for results of any value you will need a 400 quid copter and 300 quids worth of camera and stabilisation gimbal.
without that the videos will be jerky..shaky and basically all over the place.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You don't need a stabilised gimbal for photographs though, just a dampened mount to get rid of any vibrations that might get passed down to the camera from the drone. Having said that, I have the stabilised gimbal on my Phantom 2 and I can control the tilt of the camera from the transmitter, which is aces.

Without an FPV setup, you could set the cam to do a timelapse photo every second or something and send it up and just move it around until you think you've captured the angle you were after.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Or buy a homing pigeon and a roll of sellotape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom