Q3 online hell - help needed please

• Thread starter old.feigned innocence
  • Start date
O

old.feigned innocence

System Spec - P3-933, 128Mb, 37Gb, GF2 Mx, 56K modem - getting CM within a month . Current modem dial-up is either BW or NG-UK, 0845 #'s, which I was lead to believe were as good as I could hope for before CM.

3 Issues:
1) Game Connection
When joining a game from either Pingtool or the in built game browser, with certain servers, I get a message "Connection Protocol 45 (or 43, can't 100% remember..)" (?) then it slowly counts while trying - I guess - to conect. I can even go make a cup of tean and nothing happens. I am patched to 1.27h. These seems to happen on all the supanet servers, which for Pingtool always come up fastest for Q3 ctf for me ! any ideas ?

2) Speed
My ping just never goes below 330. I'm normally the slowest player by a factor of 2 and just have to console myself with not ending up with the worst score as a goal. I realise this is probably a mix of modem setup/q3config.cfg and have made same adjustments to each after reading lagless.com + the BW Q3 cfg guide...but still deep in the cr*p. Comments on what I should focus on. :?

3) Connection Interrupted
At the beginning of each new map, my connection hags for about 2 minutes. I get a ping of 999 and have normally been fragged a few times before I can even move. On reading through the BW Q3config.cfg guide, I think I may need to set the "defer models" attribute. Is this what I need or is there more to it. I've noticed that this sometimes happens to a few others and they generally seem to be the high-pingers, so any comments would help a lot of us !

Any guidance / comments on would be great, because I really don't fancy shelving Q3 for the next month until the CM comes, but I feel close to it right now !

....and this time i'm clean,
it just wasn't me...

T

throdgrain

i don't think the defer models would help much. my brother plays q3 with an athelon 550 and does have as many problems as u seem to have.if u ask me it's probably your modem.is it the standard one that came with the computer?generally they can be a bit pony.:) i can get pings from 50 to 180 on q3 and i have isdn! dont forget q3 seems to ping higher than q2 did/does :)
check http://www.savageuk.com/ucconnectionguide/ and also their q3 guide for help on this -certainly helped me out!

O

old.feigned innocence

Given I've taken the plunge and am getting a cable modem within the month, I don't plan to buy a better external modem. But good to know that the quality of teh modem built into my pc may be the problem.
Thanks, for the address, I'll have a look there.

O

old.Gibzzz

The server protocol error u mentioned means that you are trying to connect to a server running an incompatible point release, probably is 1.17 if u are at 1.27. Don't bother waiting when that happens, just find a different server at 1.27.

O

old.feigned innocence

Yes, I figured out the protocol issue last night when I went to the supanet website and realised they were using 1.17, so my 1.27 patch was incompatible. Unfortunately, Pingtool doesn't distinguish. Which maybe enough for me to switch to Gamespy, as that I've been told will allow me to search for game and patch version...

Ta

N

netdragon

Hello

Hi,
I Am the supanet Gaming Manager, All of our Q3 CTF Servers run on 1.29h - The 1.27g servers are dm only at this time.

Supanet will be restarting its gaming efforts soon so we will be updating to the latest version.

If you need Help with any Supanet Servers you can reach an admin by joining #supanet on irc.quakenet.org or Emailing Gaming@supanet.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom