Q3 Humour

O

old.Marquis

Saw this at http://www.gamers.com/columns/wemmick/
and I must admit to having a chuckle at the comments from mostly non Quake players, on the topic of Quake3. If you can't be bothered with the link above, the column is below.

Q3Test Reviews from the Community

Brothers and Sisters, unless you've been living in a shack in the backwoods of Montana for the past few months, you are surely aware that Quake 3 Arena is one of the hottest games on the net right now. It's only a test version - not even a beta, but it's caught on like wildfire.

Naturally, every gaming web site you can name has posted a review of Q3Test, written by first-person shooter freaks who complain that the 3x Quad Damage sucks or the lightning gun just isn't as cool as it was in Quake 1. Or maybe they're ranting about the Personal Teleporter and the new Industrial Strength Insta-kill lava. Or perhaps they're doin' it PCXL-style and making dubious claims about the railgun not being instant-hit anymore. Whatever they say, the reports eventually all seem to blur together and sound the same. (Except, of course, the review at FiringSquad, which rules all. And no, Kenn didn't pay me to say that. Well, ok, he didn't pay me much.)

So, who wants to hear another boring account of Q3Test from an FPS guy? No one. So, in the interest of keeping my loyal readers informed, I decided to stand back and take a look at the big picture by gathering the opinions of some non-Quake players. The following is a summary of what they said:

From Julius, an Age of Empires player:
I didn't like how the population limit was set so low, and the races weren't different enough, so the game became rather repetitive. My favorite map was that islands map - The Longest Yard. The game does seem to have some bugs - when I tried to convert enemy players, it never worked, and I kept getting killed. Also, under Player Setup, I can't find an option for "Shang." Other than that it was a pretty good game.

From [I1l!]~~~!$@//\\fred//\\#_-___…..#$*, a Starcraft player:
The graphics were really cool! When did they start making games that look so beautiful? I liked the way my marine had a selection of guns to choose from and the personal Nydus canal was a pretty cool touch. On the downside, I was getting a bit frustrated because my opponent had a cloaked barracks - even when I killed off all the enemy marines, they just kept coming back. None of my opponents would surrender even after playing for over six straight hours, and finally I had to disconnect. This had better not show up on my permanent ladder record. It's a decent game, but it's pretty buggy and not well balanced at this point.

From Necroromancer, an Unreal player:
I was rather confused at first because the opponents weren't jumping randomly all over the screen like usual. They just seemed to move smoothly back and forth across the screen, and I wasn't sure where to shoot. Also, there aren't enough nailgun-like weapons. That's the only major improvement I'd like to see.

From Vinnie the Fish, a Kingpin player:
Ferget about it... I tried to bribe all kinds of people to get 'em to join my gang, but they just kept shootin' at me. Buncha morons I tell ya. I gave up after half an hour and went to the Circle-K to get some more Pabst Blue Ribbon.

From SpeedyHowie, a Need for Speed player:
The handling was great! My guy stopped on a dime, and the cornering was sweet! My only gripe was that I couldn't change the tires to get the rear end to slide out a little - my guy kept pushing in the corners so I couldn't hit the late apex. The lap timer didn't seem to be working in this beta version, either - I know I was turning some fast laps, but I kept coming in last.

From Shortie, a Giants: Citizen Kabuto fan:
The graphics suck, but, well, it's better than another mpeg.

From Mew47, a Pokemon player:
The lightning gun was my most favorite attack. It'd be funner if it wasn't just the Red and Blue version, though; the final release better have the new Yellow version, or I'm gonna write a letter to id. And when are they going to make it small enough so I can carry it in my backpack?

From Thren, an Everquest player:
Argh! I couldn't stand the game! Everywhere I turned there was a PK'er! And "leveling" just lets you play on a new map. There's virtually no economy and the worlds are cramped and small with no monsters to kill. What a drag, man. Not only that, but it's not even a complete game - I created a mage skin for my character, and it still forced me to use those primitive weapons like the "machine gun." I quit playing after two hours - no one in their right mind would buy this game.

From Wemmick, a player:
Great game - all it really needs is pole vaulting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom