Q2 DM Server - Weapstay on or off?

O

old.[MOD]Psycho

nah cow I like weapon stay off cos it actually requires some skill of getting weapons and staying alive. Weapon stay on is pointless, spawn camping is somewhat popular and it's just generally shit.

I don't like owning newbies at all. I like even matches and not 10 minutes of spamming as soon as you get a gun, pointless waste of time.

O

old.MadC-

>>nah cow I like weapon stay off cos it actually requires some skill of getting weapons and staying alive.

Have to disagree there m8. FFA servers these days are filled with with newbies, its piss easy to get a weapon :)

>>Weapon stay on is pointless, spawn camping is somewhat popular and it's just generally shit

Q2 is pointless. Spawn camping is ofcourse annoying, but you'll get prolly spawn camped 2/3 times and the 4th the camper dies. Campers are newbies (except for the [rc] guys:)) and they won't return quickly to the same spot because its damn hard to get a weapon with weapon stay on (when the server has 8/9 or more players) :p

D

Dimebag

I could try and get a non weapstay dm server up for the 3 of you who will play on it?

All jokes aside, the point of dm is carnage, if you want a game where you have to control maps by keeping weapons play a 4 on 4 battle, or go duel someone. Dm is about blowing the shit out of everything and anything that moves, and with weapstay off that simply doesnt happen, and quite usually the person who picked the gun up first, that has a remote bit of talent wipes the floor.

Weapstay is staying sorry, but i will look into another server when natrat gets back off holiday. (He is the only one who talks to me and gets things done btw).

Dimebag

PS
I just read above what someone said and I feel i ought to comment. With weapstay on, the way i see it is its more of a level playing field. Everyone can pickup the same weapons and everyone has an equal bash. From this, I think, the thing you will find if you look at the server (I play on it like nearly everyday), is that the people with the talent and the skill come top for just this reason. If you have the skill to kill someone you can, and the people with less skill or whatever you wanna call it have a fair crack and dealing out some death too.

T

throdgrain

or in other words.."lowest common denominator".
sorry dont worry i doubt if i'll play there v often so my opinion isnt of much use.
with wepstay off q2 is a very very skilled game.with it on it is just another game...

O

old.MadC-

lol what skills do u even need with weaponstay off? Blasterskills? Sit and wait skills? Please explain cause i am fucking thick :/

X

xenon2000

Dominating skills, ie; defending weapon and item spawnpoints, keeping them away from opponents etc. If you're good you can appreciate it, but as an occasional lesiurely player, I prefer weapstay on (more action, less running around with blaster if you're opponents are better than you, etc.)

I agree with Dime's last post though.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Wep stay off.

If your 'good' you 'won't ' be... !running around! with a blaster.

To do such a thing would lower your chances of gaining a weapon, and increase your oponents chances of winning;)

Sorry if your a bit 'thick' and don't understand what i mean.

But hey thats why your prolly at the middle of the frag list, while it was rare for me not to finish first :p

On a stay, ill admit i made nothing but a b'line for a rail everytime, as playing on minos was nothing than shooting fish in a barrel on some maps, if you were as fast as me. When i did die i just took advantage of obvious situations, eg spamming weapon points ect... Not as if i was the only one doing that:p.

Minos was allways a peice of piss, only some nights would some aliasing player give me a ride, or maybe shiggs somenights when i was a little slow with my rails.

Trust me i was master of both, to say stay requires more of you than none stay is absolute bollox hokum.

It just pure isn't

O

old.MadC-

Oh god, may I ask what your "q2 nick" might be? Is it "Thresh" or "Shub"? :sleeping:

I have never heard a newbie talking like this. TBH I don't think you can hit a dead elephant with a railgun.

Demos pls...

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Lol whatever.

My old demos are long lost on a borked hd far away:p

D

Dimebag

Q -

If your 'good' you 'won't ' be... !running around! with a blaster.

-

That is if good = lucky.

If you spawn at the start next to a weapon, until the 50 ammo you managed to scrape up runs out...
then of course you have the fun of camping with a blaster waiting for a weapon or some more ammo, but oh no! right before you get to pick up the weapon/ammo, some flukey fucker runs infront of you picks it up shoots off a rocket in both your faces and everyone dies.

:upyours:

Dime

O

old.Brock

Quake2 is a beautiful game ok skill, resource management, awareness, and tactics. You need to learn how to run away, how to stay safe until you're in a position to attack, how to avoid opponents who have you outgunned etc etc etc..

quake2 with weapstay on is a silly, flawed shoot em up which favours campers, and may appeal to newbies for a little while until they realise the best tactic is to head straight for RL and spam everyone else who is running there.

I realise that the point is to have a full server as much as possible, and if weapstay achieves this then I spose that's fair enough. but please don't try and justify it from a gaming point of view. It's a sad way for BW ffa to end up after being a quality server for skilled or keen-to-learn players for so long IMO.
I came to it as a newbie years ago, and was just excited by the fact that i had so much to learn.

Please please try and get another ffa server up for the players who want to enjoy the game at it's best, quad and invuln OFF would be perfect ;)

/me heads off to find darkhour.

ps, WTF is going on wiv the duel servers? Take a leaf out of alchemyzones book and run tourney mod with as many custom maps as you can fit on. DM1 llamas EAT MY FUK ;D

T

throdgrain

Brock I only wish i could have put it so well.Sums it up perfectly.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Originally posted by Brock
Quake2 is a beautiful game ok skill, resource management, awareness, and tactics. You need to learn how to run away, how to stay safe until you're in a position to attack, how to avoid opponents who have you outgunned etc etc etc..

Thats it me boy, thats exactly how i learned to play the game.

The fact i could also play some helped, but the former is much more important, and makes the difference between, a good player, and a very good player.

D

Dimebag

Final Comment on this issue :

Quote :

lol what skills do u even need with weaponstay off? Blasterskills? Sit and wait skills? Please explain cause i am fucking thick :/

:

Exactly right.

What skills are you on about? Eleet lucky dodging skill?
Extra hard blaster skills ? I dont see the skill in waiting around trying to blast people for a weapon and some cunt just comes along and takes all 5 of you out in one rocket, because he happened to be lucky enough to get a spawn.

Also I dont understand this "keeping the weapon". You can keep the weapon all you bloody want, but the ammo will run out after its 10 shots, and with 10 other people running around the map chances are you will not get anymore.

As i've said before, if you want a mod where you have to control things, play battle or duel. Deathmatch is about grabbing the first easy thing that comes to hand and causing some chaos. The fact that everyone can get a weapon at anytime also means that the skillful people come top, because they can use the weapons. And they do... come top.

Try playing on the sever, its had more life since I stuck weapstay on than ever before.

O

old.Brock

I dont see the skill in waiting around trying to blast people for a weapon and some cunt just comes along and takes all 5 of you out in one rocket, because he happened to be lucky enough to get a spawn.

I assume from this that when playing a proper ffa server and you find yourself without weapon, that you just sit on a weapon spawn site hoping no other player will take you out as you're stood there doing nothing?? in fact, there's 4 similar to you standing there aswell? ffs man if you MOVE you might see what the games all about. Go get some grens, a devastating weapon that are usually very easy to come by, or a shotgun / machine gun that people have left. every weapon in quake is deadly in the right situation, thats part of the beauty of quake2 over other fps.

Also I dont understand this "keeping the weapon". You can keep the weapon all you bloody want, but the ammo will run out after its 10 shots, and with 10 other people running around the map chances are you will not get anymore.

Actually the chances are very good, if you take your finger off the fire button for a second and actually aim your gun, you might find that 10 shots will last you plenty long enough to find some of the other abundant ammo on the map. There's much more available ammo on non weapstay because you can grab the guns again. ( they DO respawn after 30 seconds you know? )
It's not like weapstay where if you run out of ammo then the best thing to do is let yerself get shot so you can get another full rocket launcher and resume spamming the respawn pads. The idea is to stay alive in non weap-stay, stay alive and kill as much as you can. This means that you are forced to roam the map tactically, gathering your resources and THINKING while kicking arse.

As i've said before, if you want a mod where you have to control things, play battle or duel. Deathmatch is about grabbing the first easy thing that comes to hand and causing some chaos.

Unlike duel and battle, FFA is not about controlling anything other than your own weapons. You can't 'control' a map with 6 other people on it, there's no way you can stop EVERYONE getting the armour/weaps etc. I'm sorry but you're just sounding foolish now, if you think Q2 FFA is just about grabbing the nearest thing to hand and 'causing some chaos' then I don't see why you bother with it.. may as well play q3 or UT or some other spammy bollox.

I completely understand that more usage=good, and accept the need therefore for a weapstay server, that's all you have to say, no need to prove your ignorance of the game by whining about not being able to find a gun to 'cause some chaos with'.

it seems to me the ideal would be to have 2 FFA servers, give the real enthusiasts somewhere to go if possible please. People will always come back to quake2 if it isn't dumbed down to the level of all the other fps blasters.

/RANT
That's my last word on the matter..... ( actually that's doubtful ;))
regards.

T

throdgrain

absolutly correct it actually makes me doubt whether some ppl have ever actually PLAYED q2 very much.(cow excepted for i take it to be he).

D

Dimebag

Mr Brock :)

I went on that Deathmatch server you were all on the other day, what is it.. GI Darkhour or something. To be honest it was the worst quake 2 experience I have ever had.

Please note this is not because I am bias towards servers with no weapstay (although that did help making it shit).

The main reason is, I went on with a 40 ping, and it felt like I was on modem. I mean seriously, WHAT is up with that server? Im sitting there with a good adsl ping and rails take half a second or more to shoot. Its like ping was no factor what so ever, sucked.

Also it was the first time in ages that I had played on a dm server with weapstay off and it really really sucked. The pace of the action was crap, major blaster wars around the rail gun areas and people with rl just mopping up because they were lucky enough to get a spawn.

This has really made me glad I changed the bw server. Sorry to bleet on about this but I just cannot belive how utterly rubbish the whole experience was. I dont understand why anyone would want to play on that server...

Dimebag

O

old.[MOD]Psycho

Darkhour is CRAP, let's face it, it's a fucking appauling server. All the guns are fine apart from the rail which has a 1/2 second delay, pointless fucking piece of shit. That's why we want bazzas back as weapon stay off. So we have a place to play.

D

Dimebag

Hey I have no problem with having a non weap stay server for you lot.

The problem is that everything takes AGES to do. The staff are bogged down with work and I only get replies on issues from one or two people at all. Take this whole duel server upgrade to battle ground mod.

I wanted to change this and go to osp tourney for q2, but I'm not sure how that will go down.

Also I have been speaking to deathwatch and we want to change the bw-admin to q2 admin is it offers many more useful features.

Do you lot have any idea how long this would take? Or if it would even get done at all? We, the liaisons and admins, maybe for good reason due to layout, have no control over physical files, or server configs, and everything has to be run through staff.

Its obviously apparently that q2 is not at all on the priorities list of barrysworld, because I'm sure if this was a cs or maybe q3 issue it would have been sorted out weeks ago.

My apologies again, I am getting even more annoyed with this than you lot, because I feel (to an extent) ignored and totally powerless.

I WILL request another deathmatch server, but as issues i've requested about 3 times back along the line arent even anywhere near to being seen to yet I dont hold out much hope.

Dimebag

O

old.[MOD]Psycho

Simebag, just convert the ctc server to a 2nd ffa server, weapon stay off. I understand it will take time and I'm perfectly willing to wait, but would love to get the bazzas weapon stay off server back. If you say you're gonna try and get us one back, I'm sure we'll all stop moaning for a while :)

Cheers

E

*Exor*

Weap stay should ALWAYS be on on DM servers. If you think otherwise, you're a fucking penis.

Let me ask you this. What was the most popular Q2 DM Server in the history of Q2 in the UK? It had all the best players and the closest battles..

Yes, that's right, Minos!!! And what did Minos have? Weap stay on of course!

E

Embattle

I've played both and much prefer the weap stay on as it means everyone can get a good weapon :)

T

throdgrain

Weapstay is absolutely fucking useless!! The End!
Not that I care as I have now Officially Given Up Q2 ;)

(I expect its better on cable tho Emb)

D

Dimebag

Right, I took into account the thing that psycho said, about converting a server to another DM server.

You will be more than happy to find out that a couple of the aq2 servers are possibly being shut down, the ones that do not get used. So I will request that 1 of these servers is turned into a deathmatch server, with weapstay off.

This way all bases are covered in the dm field.

Hope this helps.

Dimebag

O

old.10f

I cant resist having ago at this topic :)

I see many saying weapon stay servers are for "n00bs". Surely any server is for n00bs. I see alot of people saying it takes skill to control the map and prevent other players getting the heavy weapons. Point taken. If your good, yes you can probably kill more people, because they havent the guns to shoot back, than you can on weapon stay server. What ever.

Whats the point of playing? Are you here so you can feel like your the best player, or are you here to play a game? I mean lets face it you could have a football team with 11 really fat basturds on it, clog the goal posts up with their hugeness and they would have the best defence in the league garanteed. Weapon stay off is the same to me. Weapon stay off may be about how good you are at keeping alive, weapon stay on is about how good you are at killing. A man with a blaster trying to fight a man with a rocket launcher is 99% of the time going to loose. On weapon stay off servers im dodging back and forth waiting for the rail gun and some ones shooting rails at me, all i can think is when that railgun spawns, then we shall see who is the better shot. The waits just dumb. Im wasting game time waiting for a weapon. The fight cant even start until i get one. Its Slow Slow Slow. Yawn. Disconnect, never to return.

You say keeping alive requires skill on weapon stay off servers? You want to try keeping alive on weapon stay on. Its FAR harder to do. If i can stay alive on those servers, i am more l33t than you.

Speaking for myself, shooting people with a rocket launcher when they have only a blaster = boring. Being railed by someone when i cant really fight back = boring. Going toe to toe when i have a railgun and my oponent does aswell, is what this game is about. The best man will win.

To the mod who converted the server. Well done. Ill put your server on my list. =)

D

Dimebag

plop

No probs.

This is going on a bit now... but everything you just said I agree with totally.

When the playing field is level, as in everyone can get the same gun, at the same time, the best person WILL win. That is a fact, and to see this, just look at the server when someone good is on it. (People like templar, critic o and myself)

The server is staying weapstay on, its probably one of the best q2 dm servers out there, trying to get as much playing time as claranet, but that has history :]

It will be interesting to see what will happen to this new dm server that will be without weapstay, I wonder if people will use it, or have I indeed been badgered into getting another one sorted out by the 3 of you on this thread who want it (note: 2 of which claim they dont even play it anymore, so god knows why they moan).

Dimebag

O

old.[MOD]Psycho

Woohoo my moaning got me somewhere for once, thx dimebag :D I know Dream* members are using weapon stay off :D hoorah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom